Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,794 Times in 4,592 Posts
Default Bug out now, bug in latter.

Advertise Here

The more preps you have waiting for you at your BOL, the less you have to carry on your back.

I say this because I've read quite a few threads about bugging out into the great beyond with hopes of doing so indefinitely. To completely live off what is on your back, and what you can carry with you....

I respectfully think that's unrealistic.

A BOB is something that gets me from where I am, to a fully stocked location already predetermined. It isn't to have me forage, "dig a cave", live under a tarp. (all three of these plans/threads are right now on the front page right now)

Survival is a calorie game.

If you haven't... try your bag out. Try out your plan.

Mine weights less than 30lbs. Keep in mind that water is heavy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Prepared

I couldn't agree with you more.
The Following User Says Thank You to blksdk90 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,537 Posts

and what do u do if you don't have a BOL or fully stocked BOL?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manisonenmi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Prepared

And what do you do if something has happened to your BOL? Fire, earthquake, tornado, etc...? Or if your BOL is part of a danger zone that you're trying to Bug Out from?
The Following User Says Thank You to CryHavoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Hunter

This is one of many reasons I don't plan on Buggin out. Too many variables unless I plan on leaving before there is any real danger. If IT is something in the form of a Nuke or invasion, the roads will likely be jammed with cars. If IT is an EMP cars will be useless. This means I would be on foot.

If I bought a BOL, I would need to have it stocked but I would also have to have my house stocked in case I cant make it to the BOL. Small things can really stop you from walking long distances. I was on a 3 day hike and I was having chaffing problems which changed my gait which exhausted me and brought on a slight fever. When I tapped out with 8 miles to go, the adrenaline wore off and my body shut down to where I could barely get into the car when my wife arrived. My point is, that is another variable. I guess if I lived in the city, I would have no choice, but I live in the outskirts of a small town. I have neighbors to rely on, I had a semi stocked house (fire wiped out many preps and we are waiting for house to be finished) and way more than what I could carry is already at my house.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktide View Post
I was on a 3 day hike and I was having chaffing problems which changed my gait which exhausted me and brought on a slight fever. When I tapped out with 8 miles to go, the adrenaline wore off and my body shut down to where I could barely get into the car when my wife arrived.
Hopefully you learned from that, that you need to break in any shoes/boots that you get.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
A BOB is something that gets me from where I am, to a fully stocked location already predetermined.
In the optimal situation, this is what a BoB is for.
But keep in mind Crutch, that not many of us are living in an optimal situation.
Those that don't have the money to buy a BoL property, are too far from family members to consider their house a BoL, and who still may need to suddenly bug out *do* need to consider these things.

For some, it's part of the Rambo fantasy, but for others, it's just a stark reality of the economy we're living in. Better for them to consider these things now and try to learn what they could do to help themselves survive, than actually be like so many of the Golden Horde that would be streaming from the cities without a clue, much less a BoB.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LifePrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc View Post
And what do you do if something has happened to your BOL? Fire, earthquake, tornado, etc...? Or if your BOL is part of a danger zone that you're trying to Bug Out from?
What happens if you don't have a back up plan? lets say a tree falls on your main dwelling or you have a house fire. Where are you going to go, what are you going to do when bugging in is not an option?

Bugging out could be as simple as getting a motel room up the street, going to the local camp ground or as serious as a long term get out of dodge scenario.

obviously in along term get out of dodge scenario a well stocked Bol could prove to be invaluable.
The Following User Says Thank You to blksdk90 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisonenmi View Post
and what do u do if you don't have a BOL or fully stocked BOL?
Have multiple contingency plans.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 2,465 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
The more preps you have waiting for you at your BOL, the less you have to carry on your back.

I say this because I've read quite a few threads about bugging out into the great beyond with hopes of doing so indefinitely. To completely live off what is on your back, and what you can carry with you....

A BOB is something that gets me from where I am, to a fully stocked location already predetermined. It isn't to have me forage, "dig a cave", live under a tarp. (all three of these plans/threads are right now on the front page right now)

I hear yeah. I preach the gospel whenever I respond to these threads. Cache cache cache.

YMMV,
Chad
The Following User Says Thank You to GoblintheCat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Prepared

Quote:

If memory serves, 1 gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. Unrealistic as you may think it is, for some who cannot afford a BOL bugging out indefinitely is the only real option in a worse case scenario. But I agree with you that those who plan on bugging out indefinitely need to go through the motions of trying out their plans now while they can make a mistake and it not cost them.
The Following User Says Thank You to SiriusJones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,893 Times in 436 Posts

I agree with the others----not everyone has the money to buy/stock/upgrade a BOL. The biggest problem I have with a long term staying in place plan is water. All I can do now is put it in 2 liter soda pop bottles and buy 5 gallon containers. With the possible option of 55 gallon drums for water. If I do have to leave, hope to leave with all supplies and head north to my sisters house as she is self contained. She's not on any power grid and has her own generator, windmill and well. Whether she would take us is totally unknown because we haven't spoken in at least 10 years. Fall back plan is to head north where I know there are streams & lakes, but how long can a person last with limited supplies? 3rd fall back plan is real iffy and has us leaving for northern California where I have an uncle & his family living. Iffy as who knows what will be on the road waiting for us or even if bridges/damns haven't been destroyed? It is/can be a very scary scenario with no BOL available. Meeting local preppers in January and broaching the idea of us pooling our money together to buy land that has water available via a well.
The Following User Says Thank You to willc453 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem I have with a long term staying in place plan is water.
My biggest concern too for my bug-in location is water. I did install 2 rain barrels this Spring and harvested a lot more rain than I ever expected.

The average rainfall in my area is 44 inches per year. My two, 65 gallon, barrels fill up with about an inch of rain (that's off one down-spout and the barrels linked to each other and a roof with a fairly large surface area).

So, that's 130 gallons per inch of rain or an annual harvest of over 5700 gallons of rainwater.

This Summer I used the water for my garden but I have means to purify the water to make it potable.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonoUNC89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Prepared

My home is my BOL, but I recently was living and working in Phoenix, and was looking at a possible 125 mile hike to get home. In the summer, (well, any time of year really) and water is the critical factor. I did a little research into water sources on route, then realized when I moved (as I have) I would have to do this all over again. I am currently not working, and am at my BOL, but it was a real wake-up call to be thinking about how I was going to get home if TSHTF in PHX since I-17 turns into a parking lot with a minor accident, let alone something major. Am now exploring alternate routes, but until I know where I'll be living when I go back to work, it's just mental masturbation. Very good thoughts that the OP posted. Too many folks have this Rambo mentality that they will carry months worth of food, water, as well as several weapons on their back. Having a good mountain bike with pannier racks is a good back-up plan. The North Vietnamese moved a lot of weight into the south at night pushing bicycles. 400 pounds of gear is about the limit, and you'd better have the technology to fix a tire, but it's better than humping it when EMP takes out your hybrid Honda.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morg308 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc453 View Post
... If I do have to leave, hope to leave with all supplies and head north to my sisters house as she is self contained....Whether she would take us is totally unknown because we haven't spoken in at least 10 years.
Ummm, mend your fences. NOW. As in, today.

If I were she and had no contact with you and then suddenly you showed up on my doorstep with just your depleted BOB, I wouldn't take you in.

Fix this NOW. For oh so many reasons. A relationship with your sister will be invaluable even if the S never HIT.

Last edited by Allamakee County; 11-27-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: fixing my grammar
The Following User Says Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post: