Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,669 Times in 327 Posts
Default For truck driver preppers out there--others comments also welcomed

Advertise Here

Driving a day cab for an ltl company that has me going to California 98% of the time with me leaving at night, returning home in the morning. Shift can start anywhere from 8pm to 3am. During winter, have to chain up to get over Donner at any time. The other 2% of the time, I run to Portland or Las Vegas in a sleeper. Portland usually has me returning home some time the following day while Las Vegas (so far) has me down there for a week.
Having said all of this, looking at taking a BOB that I can use in either truck. The problem is not much room in the day cabs as I have my briefcase and usual gear (gloves, hammer, coffee cup, etc.) in a canvas tool bag (11" x 7" x 6"). I also have a medium size tool canvas bag (19" x 9" x 6") carrying bungee cords, etc. that I use to chain up with.
Looking at buying a small Alice backpack without a frame which I'll keep on the passenger seat. What should I have in it? If in a sleeper, I can lash my sleeping bag to the backpack. I have several of those aluminum (mylar?) emergency blankets. Multi-use knife with blade, can opener, screwdriver, etc. A larger knife, Buck type. Maps of California, Oregon & Nevada in a zip lock bag. A compass. Fire starter will be magnesium bar with striker, several of the sawdust fire starting bars, a couple of cheap butane lighters and some matches in a zip lock bag. Stove will be the unfolding kind using fuel tablets. Have a metal cup from Walmart to cook/eat out of. Not sure if I want to carry the small Coleman cooking set. Only taking a couple of bandages and tape in zip lock bags. Water can be an iffy thing and thinkng of bringing 1 of the G.I. 2 quart canteens (and pouch/strap of course) with me and a bottle of water purification tablets. Thought of taking a couple of the plastic ground sheets as used in painting houses as shelter. Two pairs of socks & 2 sets of new gloves and a wooly--what I call a hat that covers your head & ears. Have several (4) mini-mag led type flashlights with me all the time. Which means having extra batteries.
Will be armed with .357 revolver & 50 rounds of ammo. Pistol has a holster.
These will be buried in bottom of bag. Looked at Datrex ration bars. Has anyone used them & what do you think of them? Looking at taking at least 7 of the Ramein Instant Noodle packages along with salt/pepper container like used when picknicking. Box of energy bars and several packages of hard candy.
Have no idea when/where something bad may happen. Should I simply make 2 BOB's, one for California, the other for Portland/Las Vegas? If so, the 2nd bag will simply be my BOB I have at home right now. And it has a lot more stuff in it. Anything on this list I should have/missed? If things do go bad, will be doing my best to stay off the main roads. Thanks in advance to everyone for their feedback.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willc453 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Hiker

I would look for a sturdy plastic or metal toolbox you could chain on the outside of the truck, there should be room in the chassis in front of the hitch somewhere, and put your toolkit and/or bob in that.
Have a good look around the truck and see what else you can salvage that might be useful. Upholstery maybe, headliner might make a decent blanket? Or the lining between the engine compartment and cab sometimes. Part of one of the rearviews for a signal mirror. Strip some wiring for snare wire. Diesel, oil, other fluids. Depending on the truck you might find a metal cover on an air filter or what not that you could clean up for cooking on. That sort of thing.

Also keep in mind that you can do a decent job of cooking or heating up food on a hot engine block, if circumstances present themselves. I do it often when I'm out on a tractor all day. So some aluminum foil might be a good addition.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,875 Times in 10,482 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

If you have a night cab there is one or two heavy drapes used to cordon off thecab. Under the bunk is storage about like the interior of a coffin. Some cabs are fitted with a second bunk as well. Two sets of cabinets are usually standard but removable. Some single drivers remove the jumpseat for storage or installing gear like a fridge. Exterior stowage is probably easier on flatbed haulers without modificatioms. You can chain stuff to the load lock mounts on the bulkhead, the carwalk, and possibly some small items just forward of the skidplate mount. Dont expect anything mounted outside mot to walk away at a truck stop. If you don't have an APU you can store stuff in the empty box.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM

Hey, me again. I'm sure your company probably has you slip-seating when you're in the day cab. I think the size bag you're talking about would be fine for what you're taking, but you might want a larger ruck w/no frame. Check them out at your local surplus store. You have a lot of it covered, but may I suggest better lighters, like bic, only because you don't need a fail on fire making,and the magnesium bar is a great back up. Something hubby thought of, in that you might want to pack 2 different bags, one for a rain forest when you go to Portland and Donner, in which you will need a better shelter than a tarp and warmer clothing and sleeping gear. But for Vegas you'll be in a desert environment and your main concern will be to stay out of the sun and water. You'll need to carry more, know how to procure it and filter it. Don't forget sunscreen, and I would think about making a better first aid kit. For a tent, I would think about maybe a 1 person 3 season tent, you'll thank yourself when you have to use it. And don't forget to carry a stash of cash with you. See, even day-cabbers like you can get stuck just a few hours from home, and in a grid down situation, it can be devastating.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 PM

Smile

By the way, thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully you'll get more truckers to talk about their preps for thei truck and traveling.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM

You do know it is a felony to carry a firearm in a commerical vehicle?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Default where?

Silverwaterlady, show me. There are specific state laws concerning tranportation of firearms in any vehicle, like New Jersey, but where is it in federal law concerning comercial vehicles? Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danzak44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Hiker

I have taken TWO Legal Heat classes, and NEVER mentioned that one?????? (conceal in a commercial vehicle) Got a link?

There are ALOT of surplus mil options on sealed aluminum boxes (my one issue), but try Coleman's Surplus (Millersburg pa.) or Army Navy Surplus California Pa. they both carry an array of GOOD mil spec aluminum containers.
The Following User Says Thank You to jronwood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Prepared

#1 The best walking shoes you can afford.
#2 A gallon of water.
#3 A Paslode gas/electric Framing nailer.
#4 A cigar lighting torch and large can of starting fluid.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,124 Posts

Everyone is always talking about ramen noodles. Instant rice is more compact. Anything you can do to ramen, you can do to rice.

My thoughts would be to have one pack with all the basic things in it. Then have a second pack you can attach to it with the additional things you need for whichever route you are on today. Keeps you from having to buy two of everything.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Target Shooter

Sounds like you've got a pretty good selection of things you could need. One thing to think about, the lighters in the zip lock, eventually they could be in the wrong position and loose all the fluid/gas. I use old brownish colored pill bottles to put them in. Even the smaller bottles will stash 2 lighters. The larger ones, for more goodies. Then, you don't have to worry about the bic's loosing the fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to ARKLITE881South For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,441 Times in 3,580 Posts

siphon hose .... always a siphon hose
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwaterlady View Post
I was looking into getting my CDL. I was also told it was a felony. Because I am covered by HR-218 for nationwide concealed carry I wanted to find out which had president and if I needed a waiver from DOT to carry a firearm. I called DOT, They told me that THERE IS NO, NADA, ZILCH, FEDERAL LAW, PROHIBITING FIREARMS IN COMMERICAL VEHICLES!

They did tell me that there were jurisdictions within the United States where it was illegal, and in some areas it is infact a felony, but, not for me.

Good luck, and do not take loads where you cant carry and you should be just fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homelandsecurityham For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM

I did some research AFTER my post and could not find any information on the DOT web site. So I have come to the conclusion that the company I work for LIED TO ME. That is no surprize!

However....Many of the plants we pick up and deliver to prohibit firearms on their property,my company prohibits firearms in their company owned trucks,Canada prohibits handguns and I sure do not want to get banned from entry because my BO location is in Canada. This makes it pretty hard to carry a firearm since I'm a by the book kind of person. I am sure some of you will give me grief for that statement. But it has served me well in my life!
The Following User Says Thank You to silverwaterlady For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Wrong. I have worked in transportation 29 years and am a Safety Director for one of the largest companies in the country. This is one of the great myths. There is no such regulation from FMCSA that makes carrying a firearm a felony, none. That said, many companies have a no firearms policy (as we do) and if they are like our company it's dealt with by very "soft" enforcement. Why can't people post facts rather than opinion? If you don't know the answer to a question don't fabricate one, you lose all of your credibility on anything you may have ever said in the past even if it was right. Irks me to no end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anomeley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Hiker

Thanked 2,234 Times in 564 Posts

I carry a DUO backpack/cooler made by Igloo. I carry two days worth of food in main compartment and in the front pouch I carry 2 knives, Firerod and mag bar, mini butane torch, perscription sunglasses, wallet, Fenix E25 flashlight and small firstaid kit. I watch the weather forecast for two days in advance and make sure I have clothing for what ever the forecast calls for.
I drive a truck in the oilfield so no fire arms allowed on the company property that I drive for as well as none of the oil companies properties either. That's why I carry two knives in my bag plus my EDC on my person. There are some pretty rough characters working in the oil patch you've got to look out for.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Honey badger don't care

Thanked 1,163 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
No, actually it's not. Not if you are traveling in the states your cpl reciprocates. Unfotunately for the op he has now bragged about carrying a concealed weapon into California which I highly doubt he is licensed for.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM

Sir I corrected myself. There is no need for you to be so rude.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Honey badger don't care

Thanked 1,163 Times in 416 Posts

Nobody was rude to you. Didn't put the correction with your first post. You better get some thicker skin.