Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
14 year old libertarian

Default F.I.E Titan Tiger .38 special?

Advertise Here

I'm going to start this thread off like I do most of my SHTF threads... Im 13 years old and I'm the only real prepper in the whole family. As you can imagine, it's hard for me to prep, especially because I have extremely limited funds. But I do it.First, let me start off by saying that I already know a used S&W, Ruger, Taurus, etc. would be a much better choice. But my Dad simply can't afford one. I'll admit it...my family's absolutely broke. I know that I could be alot worse off, but still yet, I needed to give you some background info. I have researched and heard that the Titan Tiger, made from German and U.S parts by Arminus/ F.I.E of Florida, who were famous for making fine inexpensive .22 revolvers, .25 pocket pistols, and single shot shotguns, is a nice revolver for it's low price (usually anywhere between 70 and 140 bucks) and is very strong, reliable, and decently accurate and would make a good canoe/glovebox/boat/truck/nightstand defense gun. Can any of you attest to this? What kind of speedloaders would this take? Can it handle a steady diet of +p loads? If not, what is the best non plus p for defense? Are the SWCs that the police used for around 50 years pretty good? For my situation would this be a good choice?
As always, any helpful info or opinions is appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to YoungPrepper77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Although attractive at it's price point, it typically is not a totally reliable revolver. It will work for a while but in a SHTF gun , you want it to work indefinitely. For about the same price, different distributors will have police turn-ins, usually Ruger or Smith mid-frame .357s. One of those, although a bit holster worn, would be a much better buy. Get a paperback manual or PDF online for the gun and practically any repair can be done. Of course, a true gunsmith is always your best bet, but if you do get into a SHTF scenario, you may not have access to a gunsmith.
At 13, you are to be commended for prepping against the odds; keep it up as you could be the one that saves the family bacon...

Regards,

ezra

Edit: Of course, a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 or .357/9mm single action would be even more versatile...
The Following User Says Thank You to ezra45 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,449 Posts

Just don't.

Hold off and get a decent used Smith, Ruger or such.
Not that much more and will outlast the other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 03:32 PM

My Grandpa has one. It's barely a step up from a Saturday Night special. The lockup is loose and it spits lead like crazy. Its one of those guns you keep in a cash register drawer and only shoot a handful of times.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:33 PM

This is about as low as I would go:

Armscor 200. It gets decent praise for what it is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=317421787
The Following User Says Thank You to arclight610 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 12,533 Times in 4,518 Posts

I owned several FIE products, when I was not much older than you.

I would council your dad to look for a used S&W model 10, or perhaps getting lucky on a model15.

I've bought both under $200 in "shooter" shape over the last 6 years.

They HAVE gone up over the last 2 years, but should still be findable under $300.

Buy quality, then you one cry once.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:12 AM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 16,697 Times in 4,680 Posts

Are you going to use this particular gun to defend yourself in a life threatening situation?

There are two ways to shop. One is by price and the other is by quality.

You will find, that almost always, you get what you pay for.

Save your money and buy smart, not cheap
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,829 Times in 1,532 Posts

For a real $140 dollar budget, I'd buy a HiPoint in 9mm or 45ACP.
Bricks, but relatively reliable. Or if it's not, HiPoint has one of the best warranties in the business.
If you have no other firearms, you might also consider the venerable 12 gauge. Pump or even break action, whatever you can find in the price range, used should be OK (look it over).
In revolvers, the lowest I'd consider would be something like a Charter Arms, Rossi, Taurus, maybe an EAA. Maybe.

If you're set on a 38 wheelgun, I'd do some recycling or whatever to raise another $100-150 and get something that'll work when it needs to.

I'm not poo-pooing your budget, things were tight when I was young, I completely understand where you're coming from.
It's just that I've learned (the hard way...) that it's usually more expensive to buy cheap, than it is to suck it up and buy wisely.
There's very little in the way of a reliable, safe, firearm much below $250+. Even a Hipoint is a compromise pistol IMHO, but they're at least backed by a no BS warranty from a company that will honor it.
The thing about the Titan is, if you get a lemon (and the odds aren't in your favor on that), what do you do? Who is going to back it? I don't like the idea of trying to resolve that, on a budget... If all you really have is $140, then don't throw it away on a potmetal paper weight.

Good for you on your concern for your family. I hope things turn around for you all, and you can get your folks on board with prepping.