Survivalist Forum banner

Water preserver or not? That is the question

10K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  rokitman 
#1 ·
Hi All

So I just got a storage rack for 2 55 gallon water barrels and Ive been hearing people say to rotate every 6 months. I have seen the water preserver that makes it last for 5 years (or so it says) my question is does it make the water taste bad? is it bad for you? or do people just want to save the 15 bucks and rotate more often?

#4 ·
You can buy the preserver (the kind that is epa approved for human consumption) or just use regular unscented household bleach... it may not be a good for you but loss of people have been doing it for years and years author issue.

I put it in my big tank just cause it was cheap and made the wife feel better about it all.

#7 ·
It's a scam.
Highly overpriced bleach.
http://www.waterpreserver.com/msdswpc.htm

Water doesn't 'go bad', it gets contaminated. As long as it's stored properly it has an infinite shelf life. The water we drink today is the exact same water that was here millions of years ago.
http://www.kidzone.ws/water/

When stored properly the worst that can happen is the dissolved oxygen comes out of solution. That can be remedied by shaking, stirring or pouring it between containers.

#8 ·
I used to do all of that until I got a job working at a city water treatment plant four years ago. Couple of water treatment licenses later, I figured out I didn't need to go through all that. I sterilize my water containers with a 50/50 water bleach mix, shaking them well to ensure every surface area was well treated. Then I rinse them out with tap water, fill them with tap water, and seal them. No bleach, no "water preserver", and I do not rotate them out. Sterile in, sterile out, and if it tastes flat then just pour it back and forth between two pitchers a few times and it'll perk up.

#10 ·
Has nothing to do with marketing, at least when it started it didn't. I believe it was in New Jersey where health officials classified bottled water as a food item and therefore requires an expiration date. The bottlers know that water doesnt go bad but had no choice and other states followed suit!

That said, nowadays perhaps you are right, marketing is a big part of it along with liability issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.