Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Default 55 gallon plastic food grade drum water storage question

Advertise Here

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/grd/3345164810.html

Do the plastic barrels listed in this ad have BPA in them? I believe these are the standard 55 barrel drums that you see everywhere and I do know they are food grade. When I asked the man on the phone if the plastic had BPA, he said he didn't know what BPA was. Basically my concern is wether or not it's ok to store these barrels in the backyard while being exposed to the sun from temperatures from 70-100 degrees and will it melt/warp the plastic and/or will BPA leak into the water. For reference, I plan on storing emergency drinking water in at least one of these.

Thanks

edit:

Also, I have another question. Would the metal containers in this ad be ok for Emergency drinking water storage? Chance of rust, perhaps?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,192 Times in 2,861 Posts

bpa is only a concern for coffee and tea drinkers. it leeches very little under room temps and is an overrated concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM

I use the same kind of blue plastic drums for water storage. They works just fine outdoors. Just make sure you keep them covered to keep all the sunlight off of them or you will get algae that will start growing in your water supply. Also, the cooler that you can keep them the better off you will be.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,285 Times in 3,894 Posts

you believe everything you read on the internet? .... definitely don't believe CraigsList ads ..... nobody wants the old barrels unless they are food grade ... magically everything for sale are food grade .... very surprised the guy didn't say they were free of BPA, even thou he has no idea what it is .... these 3rd party brokers don't give a rat's ass if they poison someone ....
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
you believe everything you read on the internet? .... definitely don't believe CraigsList ads ..... nobody wants the old barrels unless they are food grade ... magically everything for sale are food grade .... very surprised the guy didn't say they were free of BPA, even thou he has no idea what it is
There's a sticker on the barrel that states it was previously used for syrup. I think it's safe. They are food grade barrels.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Suburbanivalist

Most likely it was agave syrup, which is a very mild, low sugar syrup. I used the same ones. A few squirts of dish soap in the barrels and a pressure washer. Rinsed them out 3 times each and let them drain. I keep mine in my basement (6 of them) and rotate the water every year or so. I am on city water, but still put about 10 drops of bleach per barrel. Just tested year old water and it is fine. I use a siphon to drain them into the sump pump and have a hose bib and RV water hose which feeds my hot water heater. They are stacked two high with plywood separator and strapped to the studs. I would not store water outside, even if tarped. My .02.