Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Prepared

Default Bates E29502 USMC RAT Boot Clearance $39.99

Advertise Here

I was on another forum and a guy posted this up. I bought a pair as have a bunch of guys on the forum.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that if you enter "DNRAT" in the coupon code line, you can save another $5.

Thanks to Hoominaga for the heads up!

These are second issue, usually due to blemish, but apparently a minor USMC design change requirement was made, and they have a huge stock of 1st rate A Grade boots that are now unusable to the Corps, so they're clearing them out. You can't send them back, but it's worth it for the price. I ordered mine on Tuesday and they're supposed to be here tomorrow.

EDIT: All of the guys I've talked to have been getting the A series first rate boots, that's what I got too. Great boots, no problems so far.

I don't have any affiliation with the company, I'm just trying to pass on a good deal on a nice pair of boots.

Here's the link:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-bates...-usmc-rat.html

This is the original link that I got the info from. These are the warm weather boots.

Some guys say they're tight to get on, and they run a size large, but I ordered my regular size. If they're a bit large, it'll give me room for good socks.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=636247

__
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Neptune For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 PM

Good tip. Ordered.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Hunter

My boot collection probably rivals some women's collections, a range of boots from deserts to the jungle to <-65F

I have a pair of of the Wellco gore-tex ones and those are some of the most well-made boots I have ever had. However, be careful because they run small. I typically wear a 11.5W combat boot but I am a 12W for RATs. The stitching is pretty good on it. Unfortunatly, I got my boots gouged on some hidden barbed wire and it took leather and got under the stitching and loosened it up. A couple dabs of gorilla glue fixed that right up (it was on a camping trip and it was something that could be a major issue) and 7 months later, that glue is still holding up with near-daily use.

While I don't wear Bates much, they can't be that bad of a brand since they are a supplier to the military, I'm a fan of Wellco and Danner. However, if you look at it this way: you buy a $40 boot, so you should expect a $40 dollar boot quality. Instead you get a $300 US made boot that most likely has a cosmetic blemish than a functional blemish.

These boots seem to like if you wear a liner under your sock. The goretex ones get pretty toasty in temps above 80 and the hot weather have a moisture wicking liner, so it makes sense to get that sweat from your feet and out from your boot.

Why are they rejects? What happened is that Bates had a problem with some of their boots not being MUHREEN proof in the afghan terrain, so they lost the contract. However, it was never released to what extent their QC problem was but it probably wasn't too terribly common.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Prepared

Bates had a D series boot with stitching issues, but they fixed the issue, then changed to a slightly different design speced as the A series boot. The Corps made more changes on what they wanted as a natural design progression, so they are phasing these out. I've owned a lot of Danners over the years and they're great, but the Danner RAT boots are $349 compared to the Bates at $260 which you can pick up for $40. I got mine and they're great, and at $40 they're better than a lot of boots that I've had for 3x the price.

I've got a pair of White's, 3 pairs of LaSportiva Makalus, and a few other pairs of random high end boots. I don't mind spending $250 plus for good boots that do their job, so to find these at such a great deal was something worth passing on. I'm considering picking up a couple more pairs to set on the closet shelf for the future. They say these should last 18 months in combat, so I figure they'll last a lot longer in my easy going old age, just walking jobsites and taking easy trail hikes...

__
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Hunter

Be careful, my brother and a friend ordered a pair of these and they were out of stock or on back order.
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 AM

I order alot of stuff off of LA Police gear for work and there usually good about shipping stuff, but here latley I pay for something and I find out there back ordered later.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Tough as Woodpecker Lips

I ordered a pair three weeks ago, waited, waited...then called two days ago and was told that they were on back order. Seems to me that information should have been made available at the time of sale. I cancelled my order. Just going to suck it up and buy Danners.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Motivated

Thanked 4,404 Times in 1,364 Posts

Rat boots suck. Uncle sam gave me a pair for free and i tried them in africa and kuwait. I have humped with them, done patrols with them, and just worn them around in garrrison. I cant remember what style they are but one of bates issued to me in boot camp is the best i have used and its not the jungle boots.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD5DRIVER View Post
I ordered a pair three weeks ago, waited, waited...then called two days ago and was told that they were on back order. Seems to me that information should have been made available at the time of sale. I cancelled my order. Just going to suck it up and buy Danners.
It says they are back ordered when you select the size.....
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Ordered Sunday & got my shipping notification today with a delivery date of the 15th. Ordered 9R as that's what all of my different issue & purchased boots were, from jungle to jump, and they all fit fairly well. In fact, the Wolverine's on my feet are 9R too. Was surprised they were in stock as 9R is a very common size. Crossing my fingers that Bates' sizing isn't the one odd scheme! Curious to see if I get miss-stiched or a pair based on the spec change...

Byte
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
It says they are back ordered when you select the size.....
Didn't happen to me when I ordered them. I just got the notification. I won't be ordering from them. I hate ordering from companies that do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte View Post
Ordered Sunday & got my shipping notification today with a delivery date of the 15th. Ordered 9R as that's what all of my different issue & purchased boots were, from jungle to jump, and they all fit fairly well. In fact, the Wolverine's on my feet are 9R too. Was surprised they were in stock as 9R is a very common size. Crossing my fingers that Bates' sizing isn't the one odd scheme! Curious to see if I get miss-stiched or a pair based on the spec change...

Byte
My experience with the gore tex ones is that they run small compared to jungle boots. Lucky that you got yours to ship, me and two other people I know are all back ordered
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Double tap

I ordered a pair for that great price. All my dealing with LA Police gear have taken forever. They absolutely suck on the logistics side of business. I ordered some of there bull crap "Operator" pants and it took 3 weeks before they even shipped. NEVER stated anywhere they where on back order and they don't respond to emails. I vowed to never buy from them again and then this deal came along. I am not in a rush for them and it is completely spontaneous, In my experience you get your order from them just dont expect Amazon type delivery scheduled....
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Got home a bit ago and lo & behold my boots had arrived. Mine are the 'A' ver. First impressions: holy smokes are these things light! After going over them fairly closely they look to be well made and free of any obvious flaws. A bit narrow but true to size for me in that the 9 is perfect lengthwise while wearing a spring/fall weight wool sock. Width wise they do feel fairly narrow, however. Looks like whomever was tasked with obliterating the USMC in the Eagle, Globe & Anchor was using a fairly hot iron and scorched a nice gouge that went all the way through the rubberized layer into the leather. Bummer that it went through but as many others who've commented about these boots I'm not too upset they chose to mark them out as I wasn't a jarhead and didn't earn the symbol. Just wish the guy would have gone a bit easier!

Also, now I see what all the comments concerning the odd tongue arrangement is all about. They are exactly like the tongues on all of my old speed laced combat boots. Designed to bunch evenly across the shin as you draw up the laces. These are slightly different in that only the upper is speed laced with the lower having standard eyelets. Cinching the lowers tight and then drawing the speed laced upper tight without the lower loosening might prove to be problematic. Once the tongues are fully broken in it should be much easier. With the 'neoprene-like' liners on these boots I'm not sure how these tongues will break in. Not sure I should be using mink oil or not on these tongues. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but meh...who knows. Not sure the warm weather boots are meant to be treated; was out before they started issuing them. Any of you guys that roamed around the dry deserts have any advice?

For the price I surely am very happy so far. The narrowness and bunchy tongues already have a few pressure points heating up with just barely an hour of wear, most of that time sitting. Break-in for these would probably be just like breaking in boots in basic training...painful! I'm not so hearty and hale as I was back in those days though so break-in for this pair is probably going to take a lot longer but be way less painful. Only time and wear will tell.

I hear you guys on the LAPG back order snafus. I've ordered a few things from them in the past that appeared to be available while ordering online only to get the 'back ordered' e-mail. Several pairs of pants took nearly 4 months to arrive at my door. In this case it really could be different sizes being hit or miss. Hope yours come in soon!

Byte
The Following User Says Thank You to Byte For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Prepared

Ordered mine. 39 bucks barely buys a cheap pair of walmart boots. I'll use these for my kick around, don't give a crap, do whatever, boots. That's my favorite kind. When I buy a pair of really nice expensive boots I tend to not wear them all that much. Cheap, comfortable boots I'll wear completely out.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,149 Times in 799 Posts

Thanks! Just bought a pair... Not a fan of Bates, but they are RAT. Kinda like Arctyrx made by Propper. Just aint the same. And for $40 I dont really care
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Prepared

Mine fit really well, very comfortable and they're true to size. Having said that, you have to open the laces pretty good, and point your toes down while pulling on both sides to get them on. Once on, they're really comfortable. There's a bit of bunching of the liner on the inside of the right boot near the toe, but wearing thicker socks has fixed the issue.

I ordered the boots and three of the 5.11 shirts on sale. I placed the order on a late Tuesday night, and they arrived on Friday afternoon. They're working out great so far.

A lot of guys have told me about the back orders, but I've heard that they are constantly rotating through stock. I'd ride it out if I had some on back order, as tying up $40 for a good set of boots is worth the trouble to me at least. I hope everyone ends up happy in the end regardless.

__
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Hunter

They sent me a email confirm that they're shipping it today. Took about a week. However, when someone has a deal like that going on, I'm willing to put up with more than normal
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Just a heads up, but if you use coupon code "DNRAT" on these, it'll take an additional $5 off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoominaga For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,711 Posts

I've held off ordering these for a while now. It's a good deal but...

Couple of questions for guys that have received them:
1. Do they have drain holes? Not really something I want in boots.
2. Are they water proof - gore-tex?

Can one of you go stand in some water for me see if your feet get wet?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I've held off ordering these for a while now. It's a good deal but...

Couple of questions for guys that have received them:
1. Do they have drain holes? Not really something I want in boots.
2. Are they water proof - gore-tex?

Can one of you go stand in some water for me see if your feet get wet?
Reading the product description would work but yes, they are the hot weather variety, in military terms, it means they're not waterproof. In fact, they have a moisture whicking lining where the gore-tex would be.

Being a hot weather boot, it also suggests that they have the drain holes. In the product description, they do say they have them. Might I ask why you don't want drain holes in your hot weather boots?

Personally, I like the drainholes, they help alot in air flow when you're moving. I haven't had any fall out in any of the boots I've owned with them. My old man had one of the original jungle boots they finally fell out...20 years after he got them.

They're actually really high quality ones. Since you buy them for 40 bucks. You'd be hard pressed to find a better boot for under $150. If you want the gore-tex ones, they (and sportsmans guide) also sell wellcos for around $100 I think. I'm not fond of wearing gore-tex in hot weather if I don't have to. I always feel that my feet overheat unnecessary. Whats your reason for not liking the vents?

When I was in the Amazon, the vents were high enough up to cross most everything that wouldn't get you a soaker anyways. Its where my love for military boots took off. As for the temperate/gore-tex ones, I've stood in a stream all day scouting this summer and my feet were dry as a bone, albiet nice and cool

Heres some wellco usmc boots that arent rat:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/wellco-mens-boots-e114.html

Edit: Got the boots today. They're good. I had to go up half a size and keep the wide. They fit very nice. They're pretty much the same as the Wellcos with very minor differences. One is the width between the double stitching (the Bates are wider, but I think they're better done) and the lip has a different lip angle cut. The black liner almost seems like its made of neoprene. Its a shame the EGA is blocked out, but ohwell. I think for $40, these are one of the best bangs for your buck you'll ever get
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post: