Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM
CTP

Thanked 1,067 Times in 575 Posts

Advertise Here

My $.02 here. I have a bit of experience with the area even though o reside in SoCal. I would most likely choose Eastern Oklahoma. Some call it "Green Counrty". Basically, the eastern third of the state of OK. Tulsa is the hub and is a great city. Plenty great locations to homestead within 45 minutes. Not to mention, Tulsa has evrryting a large city has including an international airport, great schools and Universities, etc. I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to homestead in the true sense of the word so I would look for a 5-10 acre site within 15 minutes South of Tulsa. To homestead, I would be looking near smaller towns around Tulsa, some by the name of Okmulgee, Henryeta, Muskogee, Fort Gibson, Wagner areas.

You didn't mention a lot if it but you may want to consider taxes, 2 Amendment laws (CCW/open carry laws), other cost of living expenses, hunting regulations, land prices, etc. One of the great things about the area is the 4 seasons. I would highly recommend look the area over.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Western Montana!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatieinMontana For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 7,848 Times in 2,648 Posts

a giant mesa, in a sub-tropical climate, in the middle of an ocean somewhere, that is 4000 feet above sea level and has an area of about 10 miles...

oh, and I don't have any neighbors for 1000+ miles...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Prep and hope

Southern BC for me, nicer growing climate, more water etc etc etc :-)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 AM

Default RE: If you could homestead anywhere?

Definitely NOT NJ.
I am hoping to get out of here in a year or two.

Where to? No specific idea.
Leaning towards Minnesota.

DR
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 AM

There are some places in Virginia that are hard to beat. While each season has the potential to be extreme that rarely happens. In the Blue Ridge foothills around Charlottesville we get infrequent snow, punctuated by occassional winter days in the 60's, we rarely get hurricanes, summer can be hot and sometimes dry but there are lots of natural water sources, spring and fall are usually both a month long and really nice. Agriculture is diverse and goes from commercial scale beef operations to a burgeoning wine/hard cider/microbrew production industry...just about anything will go here and there is a strong market for locally produced food and drink. Joel Salatin's Polyface farm is in this area. Land can be expensive but if you are interested in off the beaten track or don't mind a 1/2 drive to work you can get a good deal, if you think/plan ahead you can get land that has been cut and replanted with loblolly pine for 1-2k/acre and 10-20 years from now you can harvest and make a bunch of money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bradlyallen1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
awake

I like this thread, thanks for the insights. My family and I need to get out of here and am looking more towards the North, Northwest - a place with more than the two seasons of Florida.

The only thing holding us back is I want to get away from it all, but need to figure out how/where to gain employment as we're still about 20 years from retirement age. I can't take the city/suburb life anymore and would like to farm and be more self-sufficient.

Keep the ideas coming if you can!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 2,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triphamr View Post
I like this thread, thanks for the insights. My family and I need to get out of here and am looking more towards the North, Northwest - a place with more than the two seasons of Florida.

The only thing holding us back is I want to get away from it all, but need to figure out how/where to gain employment as we're still about 20 years from retirement age. I can't take the city/suburb life anymore and would like to farm and be more self-sufficient.

Keep the ideas coming if you can!
The Seattle area has jobs - especially hi-tech (mostly software or related) and bio-tech, but it also has the people. Portland is where most of the jobs are in Orygun, but the competition is there for those jobs so few go begging. The hi-tech silicon fab plants and their supporting industries have been hit kind of hard since 2008 and about every 5th person I meet has been laid off from one of those plants.

That's about it in the PNW. Some people luck into jobs outside those those metro areas, but Orygun was hit hard by the laws that cut into timber harvesting (it is about one tenth of what it once was) quite a while ago. It isn't real bad, but it can be hard to find work in general here. Even before I moved to the Seattle area it was hard and it took me decades to land a job back here so I could move back.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM

I'm currently in the north of 80 part of Illinois. I'm thinking southern Nova Scotia to homestead.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Target Shooter

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
The Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

Thank you for the links
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
a giant mesa, in a sub-tropical climate, in the middle of an ocean somewhere, that is 4000 feet above sea level and has an area of about 10 miles...

oh, and I don't have any neighbors for 1000+ miles...
Wow! What happened? Doesn't sound much like Texas. (?)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 654 Posts

Eastern Texas is our location and we love it here on the homestead. If I had to choose another locale...let me see. We drove coast to coast and Canada for a long time so I experinced all weather and conditions. The western mountains of North Carolina would be a good place, I do love Idaho, Montana, just not the cold. British Columbia is fabulous....yeah I would stick with Texas!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Madgie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Token Hippy Academic

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd get a nice homestead somewhere in Southern Appalacia (say, TN/KY/GA). There's four seasons, lots of well water, and even with the roads it's fairly isolated- I remember Grandpa telling me about workers from the Rural Electrification Commision in the depression running into hollers where the people still spoke Elizabethan english, they'd been functionally isolated so long.

It's also a place with little natural disasters- hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc are much more common elsewhere. Full four seasons.

I'm in Texas until the kiddo is in college, due to custody agreement stuff, but I can dream of a place where the summers aren't so sweltering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Token For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
Ozarks from NE Oklahoma across the bottom of Missouri and top of Arkansas.

Just my opinion.
I'm with you all the way on that. I grew up in Springfield Missouri (home of the Bass Pro Shop) and the Ozarks were my stomping grounds. The way our yard was when I was a kid would make you think of the Garden of Eden in the middle of town. Two apple trees a pear tree, two green plum, one Japanese plum, a walnut tree, blackberry, raspberry, mulberry bushes, peanuts, rhubarb, wild honeysuckle behind the garage, and the neighbors cherry tree limbs hanging over the fence. gardens...gardens and more gardens. My grandmas flowers everywhere. And a cellar stocked with all sorts of canned fruits and veggies and jams and jellies.... All this just in our yard. If you went traipsing out in the woods you'd find all sorts of goodies. Wild gooseberries, persimmons, pecans........ etc.... God I miss it down! there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmaDillon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 7,691 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeleyes View Post
Sure we have winters but it kills alot of things take daylily rust for example its all over the south but it will not survive our winter.

We dont have fire ants....

Can fix you up on fire ants as soon as you place your order!!

Is daylily rust a danger to anything other than daylillies?

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/facts...aylilyrust.pdf

The fire ants are not doing well this last 10 years, or so. Drought is hard on them and biological controls have been unleashed, as well. Looking out at my freshly mowed lawn I claim victory!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0927110742.htm

Although read about crazy ants in the link above.

Better site for reading about the phorid fly:

http://web.biosci.utexas.edu/fireant/Publications.html

Canada has always been enticing to me for the natural beauty and the large tracts of untamed land.

New Zealand is very enticing, but they do not accept immigrants 55 and older and only take skilled folks who are younger.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Twinkies

Thanked 1,241 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
I like where I am. There's something to be said for having a nice winter to break disease cycles and frost to help break up the ground somewhat.
Not including humans if SHTF

I would never try to go live in a war climate where everyone could run around all year long doing who knows what if a real SHTF happen.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Would eat anything

Right where I am I guess. No people, I know the woods and the waters like my own back pocket, I can handle the weather just fine and I got all my gear here.
The Following User Says Thank You to biggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM
I love this forum

I canít believe WI. is not more popular, rural Wi. is where it is at everybody I know has lush gardens, our soil is outstanding for growing anything there is no shortage of fresh water supply either it is so great for homesteading because you can pick up old farmsteads on the cheap like I did and pretty much everything is automatic, grow all you want raise all the livestock and poultry you need look towards the center of the state or any rural area away from the towns a lot of Amish have relocated to the central region and they are homesteading and living off the land 100% not to mention loaded with deer, good fishing and jobs are still available if need be. The winterís rock just buy a snowmobile or set of skis, LoL.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Gummint Troll

Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobigorange View Post
East Tennessee
+1. spent some time in the Chattanooga area. tons of hills and valleys and secluded areas, parks, farmland. fairly low cost of living (haven't been there for a while but I'm sure it's still cheap). four seasons. If I had the $ that's where I'd be.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Prepared

The Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ats supposed to be secret!

Sides, yur grandkids'll still be 'the new folks'.