Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Cry havoc..

Default Recommendations for cleaning 55 Gallon Barrels, 275 Gallon Totes

Advertise Here

Over the past several years I have cleaned a number of 5 gallon food safe buckets by soaking them in bleach for about 5 days, emptying and rinsing them and then refilling them with water and adding baking soda for several weeks. This seems to remove the smell and clean them fairly well.

Recently I purchased several 55-gallon food safe barrels and a 275-gallon tote for water storage. All contained fruit products. My questions are:

1. What are your recommendations for cleaning these containers to make them suitable for storing water?

2. If the non-scented bleach and baking soda is a good method, what amounts of each would you use for each of these sized containers?

3. What amount of bleach would be appropriate for storing water for 6-8 months before rotating the water?

4. Any other ideas for cleaning?

5. What have I not asked that I need to know about long term storage of water?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas/recommendations.

Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Keeping Options Open

Thanked 8,776 Times in 2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdranes View Post
Over the past several years I have cleaned a number of 5 gallon food safe buckets by soaking them in bleach for about 5 days, emptying and rinsing them and then refilling them with water and adding baking soda for several weeks. This seems to remove the smell and clean them fairly well.

Recently I purchased several 55-gallon food safe barrels and a 275-gallon tote for water storage. All contained fruit products. My questions are:

1. What are your recommendations for cleaning these containers to make them suitable for storing water?

2. If the non-scented bleach and baking soda is a good method, what amounts of each would you use for each of these sized containers?

3. What amount of bleach would be appropriate for storing water for 6-8 months before rotating the water?

4. Any other ideas for cleaning?

5. What have I not asked that I need to know about long term storage of water?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas/recommendations.

Dave
55 gallon food safe drums. When I got mine they had God knows what in them. I first rinsed them thoroughly a few times with fresh water. Next, I put about 5 gallons of water in them and added about 2 pints of chlorox. I closed them and let them sit for a week, turning them periodically on ALL sides including top and bottom so ALL internal surfaces sat in chlorox for at least 10 hours.

For cleaning, you can feed a few small cloths into them depending on the holes and slosh those around with the chlorox. I used a high pressure cleaner to clean the inside of mine.

After a week, I drained them and rinsed them thoroughly.

For 6 months storage, I added 7 tablespoons of chlorox to 55 gallons of fresh water.
They are stored in a place that sunlight cannot get to them. I check them once a month.
So far so good.

Since any water I ultimately drink from these will be charcoal filtered then filtered down to 2 microns I believe it'll be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fight4Freedom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

If you have a pickup or trailer, you could take them to the car wash.
Use hot high pressure water to wash them.
You could leave some water in them until you get home and drain them.
If you are filling them with city water, it should already have enough bleach.
If you had a way to water the yard or garden from them so you would be able to rotate the water regularly, that would be best.
If smell was a concern, I'm sure baking soda would help. I couldn't tell you how much to use. You can buy a 50 lb. sack of sodium bicarbonate from the feed store cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,944 Times in 785 Posts

1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDBushcraft For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Cry havoc..

Default Big Thanks

Big thanks to Fight4Freedom, Meat Guy, and JDBushcraft for your recommendations.

Kind of a new wrinkle. When I picked up the 275 gallon tote today I learned it contained OLIVE OIL, rather than fruit juice. Since this goo is sticky and oily, do your recommendations change? Any updates would be great.

Thanks again,

Dave