Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Chest Rig for Shotgun as my main?

Advertise Here

I could use some help setting up a chest rig. Right now my main gun is a Remington870. I'm completely new to this so the searching I've been doing hasn't been really helpful since I dont know which brands/styles are good for what I want.

I want this for something I would grab in addition to my BOB and gun in a SHTF situation or to use at the range for some tactical shooting classes.

Thanks for any advice you can give to a newbie.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM
The Iconoclast

How 'bout a bandolier? 12 gauge ammo takes up a lot of space in a bug-out bag. The more outside the bag, the better. If all you are gonna equip yourself with is a 12 gauge, I'd just get a 12 gauge bandolier.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,832 Posts

great first post!

go introduce yourself in the NEW MEMBERS forum after this please!

all you need is the 12 ga. micro rig from SOE

http://originalsoegear.com/12gamicro.html

i just got one and am currently runnin drills with it to get faster and more proficient in combat reloads - its worth every penny to get this rig
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Bush Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
How 'bout a bandolier? 12 gauge ammo takes up a lot of space in a bug-out bag. The more outside the bag, the better. If all you are gonna equip yourself with is a 12 gauge, I'd just get a 12 gauge bandolier.

never ever use a bandolier
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM

I saw those and they look pretty sweet but I think I would want more of a full sized rig. Im also a paramedic and will be the only person in my group with any sort of medical knowledge. So I would probably want to carry a trauma kit with me on the chest rig. Some of the other things I think I would like to have in my rig:

-Armor
-trauma kit
-Holster (would you recommend having my sidearm on the rig or on my hip?)
-ability to carry shotgun ammo and extra mags for my 9mm
-hydration pak

Let me know if anything I'm wanting is unreasonable or if I should avoid any of it for some reason.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,142 Times in 5,658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

FMCO 48-round 12-gauge shotgun vest:
http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/003.html (about 3/4 of the way down)

TAG MOLLE Patrol Belt: http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore....atrolbelt.aspx
http://www.optactical.com/tagpapabepa.html

I'd wear the FMCO vest over a slim-line non-molle armor/hydration bag carrier so it can be used with or without the amour without having to switch around a lot of things. The FMCO vest has two large pouches besides the 4 12-round shotgun shell pouches plus an included back pack. With the TAB MOLLE belt, you can add the holster, magazine pouches, and additional gear that won't fit the two pouches on the FMCO vest.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,013 Times in 338 Posts

Just get a plate carrier with molle webbing, add whatever pouches you want and voila. I will post a pic of my shotgun vest when i get a chance. If i ever get a rifle other then my mosin, i can swap the shotgun pouches for mag pouches ect.

I think i built my mine for under $100 including all my pouches(no plates included).
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Bush Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferMike View Post
I saw those and they look pretty sweet but I think I would want more of a full sized rig. Im also a paramedic and will be the only person in my group with any sort of medical knowledge. So I would probably want to carry a trauma kit with me on the chest rig. Some of the other things I think I would like to have in my rig:

-Armor
-trauma kit
-Holster (would you recommend having my sidearm on the rig or on my hip?)
-ability to carry shotgun ammo and extra mags for my 9mm
-hydration pak

Let me know if anything I'm wanting is unreasonable or if I should avoid any of it for some reason.

VOK goes in the pocket and you can attach a hydration pack to that micro rig
xtra 9mm mag attached to molle side of pocket
room for armor plate in pocket pouch in rear

there is no better option - the SOE micro rig is your answer

a big bulky vest to just run shotgun? nope
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
The Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
never ever use a bandolier
Not even for a 12 gauge? Care to expound? Makes sense to me. You have accessibility, it's cheap, also if you need to bug out in a hurry you just throw on your bandier and grab your BOB. Makes sense to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSchoolPC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 PM
it is what it is

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
Not even for a 12 gauge? Care to expound? Makes sense to me. You have accessibility, it's cheap, also if you need to bug out in a hurry you just throw on your bandier and grab your BOB. Makes sense to me.
some people are so narrow minded they think their way is the only way...
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Bush Walker

sorry 9mm - but a bandolier COULD be used to transport in excess of 50 rounds BUT - you could also dump em in a dump pouch, a few pockets - a bag etc

why are you even participating when all you shoot is 9mm anyway - lets see your shotgun rig?

wearing a bandolier and combat reloading from it doesnt work

looked cool on chewbacca though
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM
it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
sorry 9mm - but a bandolier COULD be used to transport in excess of 50 rounds BUT - you could also dump em in a dump pouch, a few pockets - a bag etccontradicting your point

why are you even participating when all you shoot is 9mm anyway - lets see your shotgun rig?why the hell would you assume that..i dont use "rigs" because im not a black ops zombie slayer(yet)

wearing a bandolier and combat reloading from it doesnt workcombat situation,ill grab my AR.home defense ill grab my SG.probly not time to "load out" for typical HD situations

looked cool on chewbacca though
star wars..i would have never guessed.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 13,940 Times in 4,360 Posts

The quickest & efficient 12ga reloading I've seen done is with the 3 Gun Match style reloading utilizing a series of belt worn shell holders. A shell holder mounted the receiver and stock would be more movement-efficient than fumbling with a bandoleer.

APCUSTOM

CALIFORNIA COMP. WORKS

The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Prepared

I went with dual bandoliers (GO Chewbacca!) for the shotgun because THAT'S for my wife to grab. On them are a mix for defense & survival hunting rounds easily differentiated buy hull color.

Me, I've got a FLC vest rigged for BugOut/reaction and pistol/carbine/rifle support. I've been looking at setting up a war belt system for my wife. I found many 12 round molle pouches and even a few 17 round ones that are basically the 12 rounders with 5 exposed loops on the flap. There is also a 24 round flop down pouch from condor that would work well on a chest rig.

I really like the current FLC vest platform and it is easily adaptable for your medic & shotgun needs.

I did away with any bulky ammo boxes and made flat packs of ammo, including 12GA, using a vacume food sealer.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Bush Walker

different colored hulls to differentiate between loads is a good idea as well
The Following User Says Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Bush Walker

Quote:
There is also a 24 round flop down pouch from condor that would work well on a chest rig.

I do not recommend one - they are garbage through and through - very hard to pull shells from and the elastic wears out so badly so fast that it goes from hard to pull from TO hard to keep shells in - design is smart until you put it to use

SOE 12 ga. micro rig - just get one already
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 AM
it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
The quickest & efficient 12ga reloading I've seen done is with the 3 Gun Match style reloading utilizing a series of belt worn shell holders. A shell holder mounted the receiver and stock would be more movement-efficient than fumbling with a bandoleer.

APCUSTOM

CALIFORNIA COMP. WORKS

http://www.botachtactical.com/ccws.html

these did catch my eye.doubles as a AR/mini mag pouch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Trapper

Wow, you can tell there aren't any bird hunters on here. The simplest, least conspicuous way to do it is to use an upland hunting vest like this: http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr..._id=VEST-20-11

That's a particularly nice and expensive one but there are many that sell for between $20-50. They're made to carry shotgun shells in the sewn in loops and even loose in the pockets plus they have seperate pockets for other equipment and a large bag on the back that can be used for carrying larger items or any game you take with the gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 16,193 Times in 4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Wow, you can tell there aren't any bird hunters on here. The simplest, least conspicuous way to do it is to use an upland hunting vest like this: http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?dr..._id=VEST-20-11

That's a particularly nice and expensive one but there are many that sell for between $20-50. They're made to carry shotgun shells in the sewn in loops and even loose in the pockets plus they have seperate pockets for other equipment and a large bag on the back that can be used for carrying larger items or any game you take with the gun.

HeHeHe..........probably the most overlooked idea!

I even have used a shell belt when quail hunting and a long ways from my truck for more shells.

You know they don't have that "military" look so no one would consider it....LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Too young 2 feel this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferMike View Post

-Armor
-trauma kit
-Holster (would you recommend having my sidearm on the rig or on my hip?)-ability to carry shotgun ammo and extra mags for my 9mm
-hydration pak

Depends on how you end up deciding to wear your shotgun. If you end up going with a typical 2 point there's a good chance the sling will get wrapped across the holster if you transition and slow your draw.

For me it would depend on if I was planning on spending more time driving or walking. I liked a chest rig holster when I was in a vehicle overseas. You can get a modular kit for the blackhawk serpa which would you allow you to quickly move the holster from chest to thigh.