Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM

Default Facing death

Advertise Here

As a realist, it is hard to accept that without electricity, modern medicine and machines, I will only survive as long as I can produce power and have the meds I need. I have end stage emphysema. I am trying to get on the transplant list for a new lung. If I get one, I will have to be on anti rejection meds for life.
All of that means is I am screwed.
I try not to dwell on that fact, but as a realist, it does invade my thoughts from time to time.
I have made my peace with the universe to the best of my abilities.
We still prep, but for different reasons. Snow storms, hurricanes, a hedge against inflation.
We have a whole house generator (propane) and resently purchased a 30 watt gas powered generator as a back up to that. We can also plug our RV into it.
So, where am I going with all of this?
We make plans and God laughs. At least I know I have about 100 days that I would be able to be alive if the SHTF.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Hiker

None of have any guarantees. Just keep doing the best that you can. If the worst happens, maybe you'll be able to help others that you care about?

I'm a brain tumor survivor, and have epilepsy. I do keep extra meds, and have some knowledge about alternatives and ways to wean myself off the meds, but If the SHTF in any longterm way, I can't exactly build my own MRI scanner or engage in DIY neurosurgery. :-)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to awka For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,920 Times in 5,655 Posts

I don't know how religious you are, so please don't take this the wrong way... but God doesn't laugh. I haven't died (obviously) but I lost both my husband and my child, and I eventually lost my mind. God saved me, body and soul. Your mileage may vary, of course, as I said I'm not trying to offend or convert you if you're not religious.

Spiritual peace is probably the best prep for death. What is the most important thing to YOU spiritually? Focus on that. I know I focus on being reunited with my child and husband when I die, and seeing the face of God. It's taken a long time for that thought to become actual comfort for me, but it has. I feel I can endure anything now, because I know what will come after my body dies. For me, it's something to look forward to.

Is there anything you can look forward to spiritually? Anything that could give you mental, emotional and spiritual comfort?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Hunter

Location: When in the states, Washington State, outside Seattle
Thanked 2,082 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenobiagar View Post
As a realist, it is hard to accept that without electricity, modern medicine and machines, I will only survive as long as I can produce power and have the meds I need. I have end stage emphysema. I am trying to get on the transplant list for a new lung. If I get one, I will have to be on anti rejection meds for life.
I try not to dwell on that fact, but as a realist, it does invade my thoughts from time to time.
We still prep, but for different reasons. Snow storms, hurricanes, a hedge against inflation.
We have a whole house generator (propane) and resently purchased a 30 watt gas powered generator as a back up to that. We can also plug our RV into it.
We make plans and God laughs. At least I know I have about 100 days that I would be able to be alive if the SHTF.
I respect your mindset immensely.

Something that has always brought me peace throughout my extended times in very dangerous locations is this:

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai. " - Yamamoto Tsunetomo Hagakure

I don't know why...but it just makes me comfortable with the notion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kontraktniki For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,425 Posts

Do your best. When death comes, maybe he is not bullet proof. Worth a shot. At least with a 100 days you have a better chance of things coming back than if you made no preps.

Mortality sucks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,674 Times in 2,391 Posts

Zenobiagar, us sickies do what we can do.

You have a backup generator. Good!

You live in a desert climate: do you have water stored? My Aunt lost her water for a week after that bad California quake 30-odd years ago, but they had a swimming pool and so they had what water they needed.

Without my own meds I would not be as mobile as I currently am, and I walk with a cane right now. But, I have a husband and two teenaged kids, and I prep for them as well. I rolled out some woven greenhouse flooring and I punched holes every 3 feet so that I could have a garden that does not need weeding, and the watermelon and okra were excellent this year!

Being sick or well does not change our basic nature: we are still preppers!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 2,082 Posts

I think that you bring up a good point....even tho it's implications are so severe for you.

Prepping a realistic mindset is as important as prepping food and tools and seeds, etc. Just like in self-defense...no matter what your weapons & training, if you are not prepared to use them, you will die.

Life even 75 yrs ago was extremely fragile...an accident, a simple infection, common diseases, all could claim your life or those of your family members. That is what life might be like again, depending on the SHTF situation. Best to confront some of that before it happens, and try to prepare yourself and family at least a little.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Tell me about it, how does one prep for his family when you can barely afford the house and bills. I try to do the small things, the planning, go bags, the inventory, save as much food as possible. But even now when times are tight we've had to dip into the supplies just to eat. Sometimes I wonder if my wife even knows how unprepared we are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creeker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Hunter

Location: When in the states, Washington State, outside Seattle
Thanked 2,082 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Tell me about it, how does one prep for his family when you can barely afford the house and bills. I try to do the small things, the planning, go bags, the inventory, save as much food as possible. But even now when times are tight we've had to dip into the supplies just to eat. Sometimes I wonder if my wife even knows how unprepared we are.
The prepper mindset alone is a level of preparedness that a gross majority of the population simply do not have. Whether you have a full-on compound with 3 years worth of food stored and an entire arsenal and army of companions or simply a BOB for each person...simply accepting the possibility of SHTF and being ready for it is a leg up on most.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kontraktniki For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,267 Times in 517 Posts

Life can be pleasant,usually its not..Death can be peaceful,we will know when we meet him..Its the transition from life to death thats such a nuisance..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Respectfully, what I'd submit to you on that.....When you cannot buy supplies, use the time to stock up your knowledge or practice some proficiency. Teaching the family how to tie some knots or drill on emergency first aid....it's free.....the imagination is the limit. Camp in the backyard and go over the Boy Scout handbook (the old pre-80's ones, not the new ones) with the kids etc.

One of the best ways to learn is often to teach.

We spend a lot of money caching supplies, stocking up, preparing to bug in/out/up/over/etc. But the fact is all those supplies can vanish in a hot minute. They can be taken away. You can get separated from it. If it can go wrong, it likely will. But if you are alive, the knowledge in your head is not going away, whether you like it or not it is still there.

Sometimes we get too secure in accumulating supplies and forget that knowledge/proficiency is a commodity too.

If you're left with no supplies, you can't just quit anyways. You gotta get like Joe Dirt and keep on keeping on.

Whatever thing you learn or teach the family when you are low on cash, that could be that one thing that saves a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeptj78 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awka View Post
None of have any guarantees. Just keep doing the best that you can. If the worst happens, maybe you'll be able to help others that you care about?

Exactly, this is also about the ones you love!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
None

Thanked 66,283 Times in 15,849 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There are a number of us here on this forum who won't be in the "long-term" survivor group. Due to the fact that my medical complications will spiral quickly after I'm out of meds, if the pharmacy system in this country is interrupted for longer than the stock I have it will be a painful way to go. At least with the prepping I'm doing, there's much less chance that hunger will be an issue. It also makes me feel better to know that I am helping my family be set up for long-term support and survival. I also keep notebooks with section dividers with all of the information I come across on any subject I think might help us or help them have a clue what to do with some of the "treasures" that I've put back.
Faith and peace of mind help greatly. I'm counting on the promise that in heaven I will get a new body that won't have the problems the one I'm currently occupying does.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,140 Posts

Many are in your position. I have friends with Diabetes, Heart Conditions, etc. that without medication, wouldn't last a week. They still prep for peace of mind and for the other members of their families. Do what is right and don't dwell on what MAY happen. I've seen old, alcoholic smokers outlive everyone... it happens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Immortal

Thanked 1,521 Times in 632 Posts

Short of the rapture, nobody is getting out of this world alive. We should all be ready. It could happen at any time. This breath could be your last. But I am not afraid. I know that I will out live my body and have eternal life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groovy Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Go Forward With Courage.

Thanked 6,670 Times in 2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenobiagar View Post
Been a smoker since I was 14yrs old or 44.5yrs. Worked in dirty air (steelmill) for a living 30yrs. That is a lot of lung stress. What I am about to say is the absolute unbridled truth.

In 2011 I went outside to work one morning and I could not breath. I was gasping at minor exertion/heart thumping like all get out. This was after having a bad dry cough for about a month...non-productive cough so bad I felt near passing out at the end of each spell.

This went on maybe four days straight and I began coughing up blood too. I was pretty sure what that meant and I did not want my wife to know nor did I want to hear those dreaded words come rolling off of an MDs tongue.

I began researching my rear end off. I dug 18hrs a day doing nothing but reading everything I could find. I ran across a 1960's and 1970's study on lung cancer, actually most all cancers and emphysema. There in the pages of those studies I hit Gold. I was aware it was a long shot. It was hope though. Lung cancer has little hope.

So it began. I went out and bought jell caps of high quality COQ10 in 200mg caps. Religiously I took 3 a day or one with each meal. A fat soluble thing you must eat some fats with it. The study reported 390mg a day would do the trick but in my mind more is better. Remission rate high.

It took about two weeks to notice much. After 6 weeks I was like WOW! In about 8-9 weeks I was sure I nearly had it licked.. I was still smoking tho. Could not kick it with that stress. By the end of 12 weeks I was in great shape ready to resume all physical activities as though nothing had happened at all. I was amazed at my energy too.

I still take 2 a day. I still smoke. Yea I know. But I have never been bothered with those issues since. I store the stuff in my preps along with other useful herbs and vitamins.

You have zero to lose and everything to gain by trying COQ10 at 390mg a day for at least 8 weeks. It could really change your outcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 10 Bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Trapper

I agree with all here. The fact that you prep says that you plan on going out fighting. I've never had a life threatening disease or any congenital defect, but I have been close to dying. I had been in an accident and was bleeding out from a bad open fracture. I thought the blood was my brothers, and insisted in them geting him out, which made my extraction take even longer. He actually only had some road rash and a few chipped vertibrae. According to the docs I had a blood count of 8 or 9, thats about half of normal for an adult male. All I remember was starting to get cold, a friend of mine kept trying to keep me awake, and it all started to go black. After that I woke up intermittantly in the helo and the next thing I remember was waking up after surgery. I don't know exactly how close I was to dying, but I remember thinking at that moment, "this isn't so bad". Ever since then, I definately appreciate life, but I truely have no fear of death. That made a huge impact on me and how I live, the way I prep, my reslove to protect my family, and even how I treat my patients. Knowing that you may be done for doesn't mean that you just roll over and die, so for that, besides the fact that you're preppers in general, I have alot of respect for you not expecting someone to carry you that last bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exetermedic101 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM

One of our daughters has type 1 diabetes. We have prepped by having a 3-way fridge and always maintaining a stock of at least 18 months of insulin. We pray that would be enough time for a disaster to run its course.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KatieinMontana For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
The bell tolls for me

Thanked 13,878 Times in 4,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Been a smoker since I was 14yrs old or 44.5yrs. Worked in dirty air (steelmill) for a living 30yrs. That is a lot of lung stress. What I am about to say is the absolute unbridled truth.

In 2011 I went outside to work one morning and I could not breath. I was gasping at minor exertion/heart thumping like all get out. This was after having a bad dry cough for about a month...non-productive cough so bad I felt near passing out at the end of each spell.

This went on maybe four days straight and I began coughing up blood too. I was pretty sure what that meant and I did not want my wife to know nor did I want to hear those dreaded words come rolling off of an MDs tongue.

I began researching my rear end off. I dug 18hrs a day doing nothing but reading everything I could find. I ran across a 1960's and 1970's study on lung cancer, actually most all cancers and emphysema. There in the pages of those studies I hit Gold. I was aware it was a long shot. It was hope though. Lung cancer has little hope.

So it began. I went out and bought jell caps of high quality COQ10 in 200mg caps. Religiously I took 3 a day or one with each meal. A fat soluble thing you must eat some fats with it. The study reported 390mg a day would do the trick but in my mind more is better. Remission rate high.

It took about two weeks to notice much. After 6 weeks I was like WOW! In about 8-9 weeks I was sure I nearly had it licked.. I was still smoking tho. Could not kick it with that stress. By the end of 12 weeks I was in great shape ready to resume all physical activities as though nothing had happened at all. I was amazed at my energy too.

I still take 2 a day. I still smoke. Yea I know. But I have never been bothered with those issues since. I store the stuff in my preps along with other useful herbs and vitamins.

You have zero to lose and everything to gain by trying COQ10 at 390mg a day for at least 8 weeks. It could really change your outcome.
Cool story of fighting when you feel something serious is going on. Most people would have been at the emergency room, then admitted to the hospital immediately. Glad it worked out for you.

Couldn't hurt to try alternative medicines, for those meds that can't be substituted, try to take as few as necessary, so that you can stock up a bit.

I smoked for many years, starting at 13 years old. I tried many methods to give up the habit (gum, patches, zyban) but thought I was hopeless case.

Finally, I tried the 4mg nicotine lozenges, and was successful. They don't burn my mouth or taste horrible. They don't make me crazy and depressed. And they have plenty of nicotine to prevent cravings. Quit at the age of 52, so it's not impossible. Please don't give up on quitting smoking.

But yeah, none of us will get out alive, so we need to be spiritually prepared for the inevitable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thyme2bprepped For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

Here is one for you OP. I am healthy and on little medication, my DH of 30+ years is ill. He has an artery disease that can only be treated by steroids and he has all the side effects of long term steroid use. If he cuts down on his steroids he goes blind we have been told that the next step after the blindness becomes permenant is a massive stroke which will kill him. I wish I was the one who was ill, and he was the one who would benefit from preps.