Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 AM

Advertise Here

RTV Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber.
Just get one that can handle the temp of molten lead.
Some car gasket rtv is suitable, you can make a two part mold for $5.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM

The price of pellets are so cheap you can buy thousands. I dont plan on casting my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Survival_Fighter07 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Trapper

My Uncle used 22 cal lead ball in his old Benjamin were verry good to 75 ft. 99% would go clean thru a squrrel. He used a split shot mold drilled out the brass strip that goes thru them so they didnt have the slot in them. You could check split shot and see if any were 17 cal or with in a fu 1000s of them and find the molds that were the right size.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Molding your own pellets is a hobby, not a prep. Time and money would be much better spent on something else, after stockpiling pellets much better than you would likely produce. As a hobby, its cool, kind of like reloading.
The Following User Says Thank You to kreekn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Crazy Old Man

Thanked 6,787 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival_Fighter07 View Post
The price of pellets are so cheap you can buy thousands. I dont plan on casting my own.
I think some of the people are just looking to see how feasible it is to be self-sustaining in this area.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Well, the 5000 pellet box is cheap at walmart
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
No real experience with this, but it seems to me that the easiest route to go about this would be to make your own mold. Find a drill bit of the appropriate size, drill down into a block of aluminum, steel, what have you with a higher melting point then whats being poured into it, split your newly created mold down the middle with a bandsaw or the like, join the halves back together, pour in the metal, let it cool, then split the mold again and recover your pellet. Wont look good, wont be skirted but youll have the simple basics. wanna get fancy and have access to some milling equipment you could make a much fancier mold, or you could look into sand casting. ANother thing that may work is a plaster of paris mold of an existing pellet. Just spitballing ideas if you dont want to shell out for an actual mold

Cut your block in half first, or the kerf loss will result in pellets not quite being round, or the correct diameter.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM

While I intend to get into bullet casting one of these days, I do think it would be cheaper to just stock up on pellets now. Though, if I do get into bullet casting, I'll keep an eye out for a pellet mold as well.

How about spare o-rings for those air guns? Piston springs? Anyone putting some of those away for future needs?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alim Nassor View Post
Cut your block in half first, or the kerf loss will result in pellets not quite being round, or the correct diameter.
Didnt think of that, thanks for the idea
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

I have an air rifle range in my basement and years ago conducted a weekly league competition for both rifle and pistol. There are air guns for hunting which are higher velocity and larger caliber and competition airguns that are 17 caliber and have a velocity of about 500 fps. We used the competition type and they will last a long time with a little maintenance. I have a rifle with over 80,000 shots through the barrel and it shoots better now than when it was new. I bought very high grade pellets for about a penny a piece and often bought 40,000 at a time. They come in tins of 500 with ten tins in a sleeve. The competition guns are adequate for small game with good shot placement but for game bigger than a squirrel you will need the hunting type airguns. I wouldn't try to make my own pellets as long as I could buy tens of thousands of them for less money than the cost of a swage.

Doug.