Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,477 Times in 4,211 Posts
Default Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk

Advertise Here

I'm giving serious consideration to picking one up. It would be used at the range, possibly hunting. I'll reload for it.

Barrel lengths are available in 4.62", 5.50" and 7.50". I'm leaning toward 5.50", opinions?

Anybody have one?

Anything negative to say about it?

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger_blackhawk_50th.jpg   ruger_5233.jpg   0505.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

never heard any bad things about a colt.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
45 Colt is the round, just to be clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,590 Times in 774 Posts

Friends of mine that have them, swear by them. I myself am partial to the super blackhawk in 44 mag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
If I kill I eat it

Buy one with the 45 acp cylinder aswell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubeixcube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,254 Times in 749 Posts

I couldn't tell you how many round of .44 I put though my old Super. I've put at least $500 buck through my buddies. I miss that gun. Can't speak for the 45 colt, but it's not as hot, so I would have zero concerns recommending purchasing one if a friend were so interested.

Curious, why .45 lc over 357 or 44? Nothing against 45 long just an expensive and hard to find round.

Edit, tell me more about what you want to do with the gun for help on barrel length. Those 2 inches matter. Do not go sub 5.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEyes View Post
I couldn't tell you how many round of .44 I put though my old Super. I've put at least $500 buck through my buddies. I miss that gun. Can't speak for the 45 colt, but it's not as hot, so I would have zero concerns recommending purchasing one if a friend were so interested.

Curious, why .45 lc over 357 or 44? Nothing against 45 long just an expensive and hard to find round.

Edit, tell me more about what you want to do with the gun for help on barrel length. Those 2 inches matter. Do not go sub 5.
I'm thinking 45C because I already a couple revolvers that shoot 357. I haven't given much thought to .44

Intended uses are range fun and possibly hunting, although I haven't hunted in years.

By reloading, I think I can offset the cost of feeding it. I'll probably shoot mostly cast lead bullets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeixcube View Post
Buy one with the 45 acp cylinder aswell.
Absolutely. Get the convertible, only adds around $40 last time I looked at pricing.

I have the .357/9mm combo. Love it.

Caliber versatility is very much a survivalist oriented plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Revolver is a Ruger.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Insert Name Here

Thanked 1,468 Times in 692 Posts

In the early 90's I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 long colt. I swear this is true that I shot a 5 round group that measured 1.2" at 50 yards. This was with reloads and I fully admit there may have been a little luck involved. This was one gun I should have never sold.
I currently own the same model in 44 magnum (8 years old) and it will not shoot any better than about 2" at 25 yards.
The 45 Long colt as a reloader is an excellent round. I took mine up to exceed the factory loads of a 44 magnum. Could only reload twice as the cases would bulge at three reloads. If you shooting factory loads they are a pleasure to shoot. Low recoil and very accurate.
On your barrel length question I really like the 4.75 and 5.5 inch models just for looks and no other reason. If I was buying one exclusive for handgun hunting I would however go to the 7.5"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparks69 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,180 Posts

I too am going to jump on the band wagon and suggest that if your going to get this gun get the convertible version that will allow you to also use 45 ACP. Just understand that the 45 Colt isd .454 in Diameter and the 45 ACP is .451 in diameter and you may not get the best accuracy from 45 ACP as a result. But it would give you some flexibility in ammunition use.

The 45 Colt while not as potent as the 44 Mag can easily be loaded very close to 44 Mag power levels. If you havbe a 45 of some type already then the Blackhawk in 45 just makes more sense. If I didnt already have a 45 gun already and would be stocking another new caliber I would probably lean heavily to the 44 Mag instead. Almost every place with a sporting goods section has 44 mag readily in stock. The same cant always be said aboput the 45 Colt. This is some what less of an issue if you are reloading and talking about component availability.

The Ruger Black Hawk like all other Ruger handguns are over engineered and built like that proverbial brick crap house. It will likely out last you and take more abuse than you can in the process. Thats not to say you cant destroy one, just saying it will likely take a good bit of effort on your part to accomplish.

If it were me personally I would choose the 5.5 inch barrel over the other two as a general purpose length for a "do it all" gun. If I was planning to do much in the way of hand gun hunting then I would highly consider the longer 7.5 inch version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM

while I don't own a blackhawk, I do own 4 Vaqueros in .45LC and wouldn't part with them for the world. I absolutely love the versatility of the .45 cartridge. I can load it up with a 250gr pill to go hunting, or down to go to the range. I can fill it with black powder and put on a show for friends and then come home and toss it in the dishwasher (stainless) for a fast cleanup.

Ruger builds their guns like tanks, they are stout as hell. Aftermarket tune up parts are readily available and you can personalize them any number of ways.

If I lived in the wilderness and could carry only one handgun it would be a Ruger in .45LC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putawaywet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putawaywet View Post
while I don't own a blackhawk, I do own 4 Vaqueros in .45LC and wouldn't part with them for the world. I absolutely love the versatility of the .45 cartridge. I can load it up with a 250gr pill to go hunting, or down to go to the range. I can fill it with black powder and put on a show for friends and then come home and toss it in the dishwasher (stainless) for a fast cleanup.

Ruger builds their guns like tanks, they are stout as hell. Aftermarket tune up parts are readily available and you can personalize them any number of ways.

If I lived in the wilderness and could carry only one handgun it would be a Ruger in .45LC
I was checking out the Vaquero as well. They cost a little more, but also have a steel frame. Not sure how much that matters given how strong Ruger revolvers are made though.

Any issues with point of aim/point of impact when reloading different rounds?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,147 Times in 2,775 Posts

I have Bisley Vaquero (old model) in .45 Colt and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Love both of them. If you do go the Vaquero route, get one of the old frame Vaqueros. They will handle higher pressure loads. My Bisley Vaquero is a 5.5", BTW. Very accurate with my reloads and with my cast bullets.

With the Blackhawk and old model Vaqueros you can load hot enough to outperform .44 Mag pretty easily. My Bisley was my bear-gun when I lived in Alaska. I fished the Susitna, Russian, Kasiloff and Kenai rivers pretty often, so bear encounters were common. I felt a lot better knowing that Bisley was on my hip!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
Any issues with point of aim/point of impact when reloading different rounds?
Depends on what your definition of an issue is? If you expect a 250gr RNFP with 6.0gr of Unique to have the same POI as a 185gr RN over 4.0gr of Unique then, well, you's got you an issue. You can either live with the load that your gun shoots well, or go with a load you love and live with the way your gun shoots it. Ideally, you'll strive to meet somewhere in the middle.

Yes, the down side of the Vaquero is it's fixed sights. Otherwise, I like it's lines and how it handles. A Vaquero with adjustable sights would be my perfect gun. Which could be argued then, that I just buy a Blackhawk. But I want what I want, the way I want it. Me hopes Elmer Keith would understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Putawaywet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

I had one of the 7.5 inch , blue .45acp / .45colt convertible models . Mine was very accurate with the .45 colt round , but not so much with the .45 acp round . I could obliterate beverage cans at 25 yards or more with .45colt Winchester silver tip ammo and barely hit a paper plate at the same distance with any .45 acp ammo . If mine had been a +/- 5 inch barrel and stainless steel I would have enjoyed carrying it more and probably have kept it . Even 20 years ago quality .45colt ammo was very expensive .
The Following User Says Thank You to mrbeer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Target Shooter

I have one in 45 Colt. 5.5 inch. . Great gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stobor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 4,507 Times in 1,864 Posts

I have had a 7.5 inch NM Blackhawk .45LC since 1982 and I wouldn't get rid of it. I have taken deer and hogs with it no sweat. I don't believe that the 7.5" is available with an interchangeable cylinder. The 5.5" is though.
http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html

Al
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,296 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

45 Blackhawks are great guns. They can handle the "Ruger Only" loads that are great for hunting - rivaling the 44 Magnum. I have two, a blued and a stainless. Both are very accurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to arisinwind For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,473 Times in 6,976 Posts

I have the same weapon in 41 mag scoped for deer hunting. Would love to have it in 45 LC. Love mine.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Have a New Vaqueros in .45 Colt I've been very pleased with. Quite accurate, smooth out of the box with a decent trigger. You can't load the Vaqueros as hot as the Blackhawk, and they have fixed sights. As long as you reload, you'll be pleased with the versatile cartridge. It's pricey to shoot if you don't.

Barrel length is a personal preference. Mine are 7", but something shorter is more popular.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfremder For This Useful Post: