Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Default How long do unopened bags of dry rice and dry beans store for?

Advertise Here

How long do unopened bags of dry rice and dry beans store for if heat is not a major problem?

Thanks

Edit: By the way, I did do a little poking around on google about this, but I wanted to hear from the pros.
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterrEugene For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,424 Times in 868 Posts

Others here would likely give you better answers, but my guess would be a yearish depending on packaging and things like white rice versus brown rice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red*Lion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 485 Posts

Following the store what you eat and eat what you store philosophy, I'm consuming now the rice I stored in July 2011. Year old white rice is perfectly good as the day I bought it.

I really overstocked dried pinto beans for Y2K, and finally finished that stock in 2007. They still tasted just fine, and had a germination rate of 70%.

Both stored in plastic buckets without oxygen asbsorbers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
never tell me the odds

The rice in our kitchen right now I bought about 2 yrs ago and it has been sitting in it's original bag in the basement. It tastes just fine.

I store my bulk dry kidney and lentil beans in mason jars and they seem to keep well for a very long time. I have a soup simmering right now with beans from 5yrs ago in it.

I know I should be keeping it all in sealed with mylar it in 5gal pails w/ o2 absorbers. I think I might just transfer the rice it into glass jars for the time being since I have tons of them just laying around.
The Following User Says Thank You to rule4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,317 Times in 3,901 Posts

if you are just storing short time ... under 5 years ..... the retail packaging bags do just fine ..... I laugh when I imagine people trying to funnel beans into 2 liter bottles ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Target Shooter

Beans and rice are fine for years as long as they are kept dry. They may take a lot longer to cook but they are fine for years......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watercanlady For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Beans (without "flavor powder" on them) should certainly last a year at least in the retail packaging, but I would strongly suggest keeping any grains in a tupperware type container to keep pesky weevils out!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Default i would say a year or so

If sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in 75 degrees or lower about 25 to 30 years.
If in store bag it really depends on where you store it, In a cool dark place would be the best i would say a year or so on rice but beans will dry out pretty fast if in a hot environment and know matter how much you soak them they will be as hard as a brick at that point you can still eat them you just have to crush them and make bean dip, or crush when dry for bean powder you can mix in with flour for breads and to thicken up soups and stews.

Last edited by icepick; 10-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: fixing stuff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icepick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,089 Times in 1,713 Posts

I deep freeze my rice for one to two weeks in bags, then two days room temp and into cleaned plastic juice bottles. I just finished 2008 so four years so far. I prefer to cook my beans and can in jars. They take a lot of cooking so I would rather do it now while energy is cheap and not use my propane supply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,276 Times in 588 Posts

It's always a surprise. I've kept rice and other things in original packaging for 2-3 years on the shelf with no problems. BUT, I also bought a small bag of wonderful jasmine rice for the pantry, leaving it unopened for about six months or less and when I took it out, there were bugs in it.

It's best to freeze and store properly, imo, and I won't waste like that again. Imagine finding many 50 pound bags infested like that simply because you didn't take the time to do it right in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,728 Posts

I had a bag of rice we opened and used part of and forgot about for 8 or so years! no mylar or o2 absorbers and it was fine we finished the rest of it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,774 Posts

I found this in the back of some stuff I rearranged. It was stored in a kitchen cabinet, normal house, but one year unoccupied most of the time, therefore not heated or air conditioned. It says use by 04-2007. I cooked a cup and it was fine, not as tasty as my new Thai rice, but what do you want from bargain basement Albertson's rice that was ignored since 2005...
Attached Thumbnails
P1010002.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,262 Times in 33,010 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

It doesn't much matter if they're unopened or not. The factory packaging doesn't provide protection against air, bugs or anything else. All it does is keep them from spilling out.

Dry foods don't rot or spoil because that requires moisture. So in effect, they would be "safe" to eat practically forever. But O2 does deteriorate the food. So when you see people say they've eaten rice or beans that have sat on a shelf for 20 years, it doesn't say anything about the quality of the food itself and it's nutrition level. Only that it didn't give them food poisoning, which it won't. And "it tasted fine" tells nothing about the food quality either.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Store Beans Rice

I keep my rice and beans in freezer. Been doing this for years, ever since finding bugs in a fifty pound bag of rice I brought home from store.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnolk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM
teotwawki tribe

Default ''rice and beans revolution"-storage

accoring to eat-by-date.com dried rice and beans last :
(Raw) White Rice lasts for 4-5 Years
Oxygen Free White Rice* lasts 25-30 Years 30* Years

Dried Beans last for Indefinite

btw,you can sprout new beans from those dried bean soup packages w/o seasonings..have done so as an experiment
The Following User Says Thank You to doomsdaysquirrel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2014, 12:47 AM

Store your rice in beans in buckets and flush the air out of the buckets with nitrogen or CO2 which will keep the beans and rice for years...
The Following User Says Thank You to texican2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Obama = Black Bush

Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican2 View Post
Store your rice in beans in buckets and flush the air out of the buckets with nitrogen or CO2 which will keep the beans and rice for years...
This is such an old thread, and the topic has been beat to death in recent weeks in other threads, I really should not even respond but I don't want bad advice to stand.

In order to do flushing reliably you have to have a pretty controlled air space. If you inject pressurized CO2 or nitrogen, they will simply blow the air out, pushing out itself due to the pressure, creating a vacuum as the pressure dissipates, and fill back up with room air. You'll still have some nitrogen or CO2 but you won't have a controlled amount and you won't know if it worked or not until you open the container 30 years later. Flushing works really well in a chamber vacuum machine or a nozzle vacuum sealer. Flushing in your kitchen, probably not so much.

In any case, even if you're really good at flushing buckets in your kitchen or if you have professional flushing equipment, that's much more work than simply putting in an oxygen absorber and getting 99% pure nitrogen as the result. That's much more reliable than trying to flush a container.

Of course the bucket will allow oxygen infiltration, significantly reducing the usable life of the beans and rice. Just put them in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers - you can put the bags in buckets if you want to protect them. You can also put desiccant in the bags but you have to have a pretty good physical separation between the oxygen absorber packets and the desiccant packets. If you're going to use both, put one in the bottom before the food and the other in the top after the food.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Target Shooter

White rice and many types of beans have a safe storage life of over 20 years if stored properly. If beans will sprout they still have all of the nutritional value they started with. We just moved recently and I found a half bucket of pinto beans from 1980 ( I date all of my storage). The beans sprouted and yesterday I made a batch of chili with them. I had to soak them for 12 hours and they were delicious. Proper storage is the key.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to utefan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM
teotwawki tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick View Post
If sealed in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in 75 degrees or lower about 25 to 30 years.
If in store bag it really depends on where you store it, In a cool dark place would be the best i would say a year or so on rice but beans will dry out pretty fast if in a hot environment and know matter how much you soak them they will be as hard as a brick at that point you can still eat them you just have to crush them and make bean dip, or crush when dry for bean powder you can mix in with flour for breads and to thicken up soups and stews.
add baking soda to soaking water,soak for 12 hrs,drain,add fresh water and more baking soda...cook for approximate 1-2 hrs,depending on altitude
The Following User Says Thank You to doomsdaysquirrel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,055 Times in 1,207 Posts

This thread caught my interest because I have a few 20lb bags of rice and a few 20lb bags of pinto beans that I ordered online (walmart.com) and had sent to my home address in Vegas. I also have mylar bags and oxygen absorbers I ordered (from discountmylarbags.com) and sent to Vegas. I ordered all of this from mid-2013 through early this year.

I live overseas though, and haven't been able to get back to Vegas yet to package them up properly. They've been sitting in a back room of the house still in their retail packaging and still in the unopened boxes they were shipped in.

I'm not too worried because I had read several of the threads here and had done some online searching prior to ordering. Vegas can get pretty hot, but the humidity is real low. I was also expecting to have made it back by now to package them up properly. (So worry is starting to creep in.)