Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 AM
".....ya think?"

Default Cheapest price on bulk quinoa?

Advertise Here

I'm looking for the cheapest prices I can find on bulk 25# or larger bags of quinoa. It seems as though it has taken a huge jump in price in the last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to libertyforall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,213 Posts

had to research the web to learn about quinoa. sounds like an interesting and appealing item to add to my stores. now all i have to do is find some. any web sites that you can recommend carry and ship this? thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
None

Thanked 65,861 Times in 15,809 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I use quinoa and some quinoa products as a wheat replacement. There has been a huge price jump in the last year or so. I haven't found it bulk any cheaper than $75 for 25# by the time you factor shipping in. I've seen better prices but then a 25 pound bag will have a $20+ shipping charge. It seems a lot of people don't factor that in.

I sure hope someone does know of a source for better bulk prices than that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,765 Times in 32,478 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Considering the high cost of shipping recently, you may be better off checking your local health food store. They will often discount a bulk sale, or even order in bulk for you at a discount. Since it comes in with their regular order, you don't end up with the high shipping charges. It still won't be cheap, but it might be cheaper.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,110 Posts

What MikeK said. Prices have gone way up the last 14 months. Factor in additional shipping and it is even more. You're better off trying your local co-op/health food store. You'll usually get a fair discount for bulk purchases. In addtion, a lot of co-ops have a couple days a year they give members 10 percent off of purchases/bulk orders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalminister For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thanked 1,110 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
I'm looking for the cheapest prices I can find on bulk 25# or larger bags of quinoa.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask "do you now eat quinoa?".

Seems that a lot of folks here read a story on the internet about this product or that product and rush out to buy it without even finding out what it tastes like. The truth is I can't stand quinoa, and would never include it in my preps no matter how nutritious it looks on paper. My mantra has always been "store what you eat and eat what you store"!

I get impatient when I read someone has just stocked up on 1000 lbs of wheatberries and now wants to know what to do with wheatberries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Hurray For Me & **** You

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,199 Posts

I've been cooking with quinoa for @ 12 years. My family still thinks it's weird, but I do like it. It's not the bulk of my bulk grains, but I do have some. Anyone looking to buy 25# at a time at $3.00 or more per pound via special or mail order, when rice is easily available anywhere and 1/6th of the cost, then they probably use it regularly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tastythreads For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,232 Times in 718 Posts

I love quinoa and lots of people around here eat it. Usually at least one person has some sort of quinoa.

It is a little weird to start cooking with a new grain the first time, but once you go for it you can try it in any way you want. What do you have to lose?

I have a huge list of my favorite recipes. Here are some of them:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken...a-and-veggies/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-357090
lots of ingredients but I mix and match with whatever is in the veggie drawer

http://www.quinoa.net/181.html
scroll down to Quinoa/potato croquettes. These are good.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Health...uinoa/Top.aspx
The ones I've tried on this page and that are really good are: Quinoa and Black Beans, Spiced Quinoa, Quinoa with Sweet Potato and Mushrooms

http://www.marthastewart.com/329047/quinoa-cakes
We love these...though we doctor them up with choc chips, berries or what-not.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Double tap

$80 for 25# delivered. Of course that is if your an amazon prime member...

The Following User Says Thank You to USJudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Prepared

My #1 son loves Quinoa. I can't stand it plain. My grandkids think the little tails are disgusting, looks like bugs. However, I do like it made like dirty rice. I always have some around, but nothing like 20#!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,008 Times in 658 Posts

I haven't tried it, but I know it's a pretty good thing to consume. In my case, I would use it for its protein content. Look forward to seeing more options about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hendrixfreak70 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post

Seems that a lot of folks here read a story on the internet about this product or that product and rush out to buy it without even finding out what it tastes like. The truth is I can't stand quinoa, and would never include it in my preps no matter how nutritious it looks on paper. My mantra has always been "store what you eat and eat what you store"!

I get impatient when I read someone has just stocked up on 1000 lbs of wheatberries and know wants to know what to do with wheatberries.
Yep. A basic rule of thumb is store/prep what you already eat. Try something before storing it. We love quinoa. The protein content is excellent so it sticks with you. We rarely have oatmeal anymore. We make a porridge with quinoa and add cinnamon/sugar/fresh or dried fruits.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalminister For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
".....ya think?"

Quote:

I get impatient when I read someone has just stocked up on 1000 lbs of wheatberries and know wants to know what to do with wheatberries.
I do eat quinoa. I've had it twice and like it. My wife bought a small quantity of it to try and it worked out great. I'm a type II diabetic and I wanted a grain with a lower glycemic value than white rice and this looks like it fits the bill. Since it will keep in Mylar and OA like rice, wheat etc. maybe I will call a producer direct and ask them to price it to me in a one ton or half ton quantity. I'm prepping for at least six people and I'm looking at more than one year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to libertyforall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:

Quick quinoa lesson:
There is a natural coating, saponin, on the grain that must be rinsed off before you cook it and it takes a bit of rinsing to get it off. The coating is bitter making the resulting food bitter, so you must wash it off. If you are transitioning from some of the small packages of quinoa from your grocery store to bulk grain, some of the brands of "grocery store grain" come pre-washed. If you transfer that experience to the bulk grain that must be washed off and don't wash it well enough, you will think you got a bad batch of quinoa.

If you ate quinoa prepared by someone who was new to the grain or was pre-disposed to not read directions or learn about something new, thinking "all grains are alike," then you wouldn't like quinoa at all.

I get impatient when someone assumes that just because they have only recently heard of a grain, it must be a new fad and can't be an actual need people are filling.

Last edited by Mels thinkingitover; 10-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: got off my lazy bum and looked up the spelling of saponin.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM

The best price I have found for quinoa is at Costco - a 4# bag of ORGANIC quinoa is $7.99.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdonnald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Quinoa tastes like cardboard poop. That being said, I find it paletable with salt and garlic powder and mixed in with a bit of olive oil. Also, I'd rather eat brown rice given the option. Which I store now.

I have found Quinoa at just about every bulk food store I've come across. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than in the small boxes at the grocery store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redneck Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Hurray For Me & **** You

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
Quick quinoa lesson:
There is a natural coating, saponin, on the grain that must be rinsed off before you cook it and it takes a bit of rinsing to get it off. The coating is bitter making the resulting food bitter, so you must wash it off. If you are transitioning from some of the small packages of quinoa from your grocery store to bulk grain, some of the brands of "grocery store grain" come pre-washed. If you transfer that experience to the bulk grain that must be washed off and don't wash it well enough, you will think you got a bad batch of quinoa.

If you ate quinoa prepared by someone who was new to the grain or was pre-disposed to not read directions or learn about something new, thinking "all grains are alike," then you wouldn't like quinoa at all.

I get impatient when someone assumes that just because they have only recently heard of a grain, it must be a new fad and can't be an actual need people are filling.
I wonder if there would be enough saponin rinsed off to make the water worth saving??
Saponin = Soap
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tastythreads For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastythreads View Post
I wonder if there would be enough saponin rinsed off to make the water worth saving??
Saponin = Soap
Just what I needed, another thing for my brain to roll around when it should be sleeping... That's an interesting idea, really. It could maybe at least be used for the washing part of your dish or clothes washing. Hmmmm...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonnald View Post
The best price I have found for quinoa is at Costco - a 4# bag of ORGANIC quinoa is $7.99.
That's where I buy mine. Even my kids like it. Cook it in a rice cooker like you'd cook brown rice. Substitute chicken or beef stock for water. It's definitely worth stocking in my house.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie 2 Times For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Survivalist View Post
Quinoa tastes like cardboard poop. That being said, I find it paletable with salt and garlic powder and mixed in with a bit of olive oil. Also, I'd rather eat brown rice given the option. Which I store now.

I have found Quinoa at just about every bulk food store I've come across. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than in the small boxes at the grocery store.
I've never even seen a cardboard do that. I'm not sure I'd have the courage to eat it for comparison if I did. I read the other day on here someone say that one brand of freeze-dried food tasted like donkey, I know that's what they meant they just shortened to three letters. Whichever it was, donkey or the shorter version, don't know that I'd want to try those either.

On another note, and why I actually posted. What is a "bulk food store?" I've seen that expression several times but can't figure out what it is. Is it referring to a Sam's/Costco type store or something else? We have to drive about 60 miles for any "big town" shopping so if there are kinds of stores I haven't discovered yet (Completely possible), I'd like to know what to search out before our next trip. Thanks.