Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,597 Times in 6,681 Posts
Default AK-47 ERGO Grip SUREGRIP Review

Advertise Here

If there is one thing about the AK-47 that sucks, it has to be the factory pistol grip. The AK-47 is a great rifle, but lets face the facts, most of the factory pistol grips suck, big time.

Thank goodness Falcon Industries has come to the rescue with the Ergo Grip Suregrip.

http://ergogrips.net/

The Ergo Grip Suregrip is a quick and easy replacement to the factory AK-47 grip. The model I had the opportunity to review was the ERGO AK Classic Grip, model number 4139-BK.

Some specs from the Ergo Grip website:
  • Ambidextrous design with smooth finger grooves
  • Superior design and textured finishes for enhanced weapon control compared to smaller factory grips
  • Bottom storage compartment with tethered rubber plug
  • Installs with 6mm bots (included)

Installation

Installing the Suregrip was straight forward, remove the old grip, install the new grip.

The only issue I ran into, a standard allen wrench was not long enough to reach the bottom of the grip. This is not a big deal, my wife and I made a trip to the local hardware store to buy a allen socket.

When the original grip is removed, there is a retaining nut (pistol grip cap) inside the receiver that will fall free. This is not a big deal, just remove the dust cover, remove the rear recoil spring guide, move the retaining back into place.

Guide the included nut through the base of the grip.

Use the allen wrench to thread the bolt into the retaining nut / pistol grip cap. I thought about adding some blue loctite to the bolt, but I did not have any loctite on hand; I might add some later.

A 3/8 drive ratchet was used to tighten the bolt and grip into place.

First Impressions – I liked the new Ergo grip a LOT better then factory AK-47 grip. The thicker grip allows for easier handling of the rifle. The factory pistol grip was a little short for my hand, and I would say I have an average sized hand. The Ergo Grip is a little longer so that my pinky finger does not hang over the end of the grip.

Shooting Session

It just so happened that we got rain all weekend. After some serious begging, my wife finally agreed to go out to the sandpit while we were getting drizzling rain.

Four 30 round AK-47 magazines with loaded with 20 rounds each, camera batteries were charged, rain ponchos were dug out, all of the gear was loaded into a Maxpedition Condor II, then my wife and I headed to a sandpit on the hunting lease.

The back roads on the way to the hunting lease were so wet that I had to lock in the 4-wheel drive on my Toyota T-100.

After what seemed like forever, and lots of sliding around on the dirt road, we “finally” reached the sandpit.

My wife and I got our rain ponchos on, got the AK-47, Maxpedition Condor-II and cameras then walked across the sandpit to the shooting area. the rain had been on and off on the way to the sandpit, alternating between pouring and a slight mist. While my wife and I were at the pit, all we had to deal with was a slight misting rain.

20 rounds were fired off to get a feel for the new grip.

There is an old saying, “if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” In this case, we had rain, which was used to make mud.

After the first magazine was fired through the rifle, I grabbed a handful of mud and smeared it all over the ergo grip.

If you want to do an honest review, do you want to test the item in an ideal situation? Or do you submit the item to adverse conditions? The rain and the mud was as adverse as I could get at this time.

Made in the USA

Besides the outstanding quality of the Ergo Grip, it is also made in the USA.

Do you want to spend your hard earned money on made in china junk, or do you want to buy a quality made in the USA product?

Full Disclosure

I received the Ergo Grip Suregrip at no cost to myself.

Even though I received the Ergo Grip Suregrip at no cost, the opinions expressed in this review are my own.

I feel that it is important to let my readers know when I review something that was sent to me at no cost. How else are we supposed to build a trusted relationship?

Last edited by kev; 10-01-2012 at 08:26 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Forum Administrator

After posting the video on youtube I received some negative feedback around rubbing mud on the grip, and then washing the AK-47 off in a stream.

I want to address those negative comments:

1 - if you have never taken your rifle past the shooting range, then you may not understand my I rubbed mud on the grip. Taking your rifle out on a bright sunny day will not let you know how that rifle is going to preform in adverse conditions.

2 - washing the rifle off in a stream, its an AK-47, it was designed to be used in the harshest environments on earth, get over it.

If seeing a rifle covered with mud get washed off in a steam offends you, too bad.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

Excellent review. Forget the haters. They will always be there.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,766 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
After posting the video on youtube I received some negative feedback around rubbing mud on the grip, and then washing the AK-47 off in a stream.
Thats because most people are ies and don't want to run their precious rifles like they were meant to be run.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_guy View Post
Excellent review. Forget the haters. They will always be there.
After reading a few post, it becomes clear who the armchair commandos are.

I doubt most of the people posting comments on youtube even own an AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post
Thats because most people are ies and don't want to run their precious rifles like they were meant to be run.
Back around 1994 or 1995 I took my Maadi over to a buddies house. It had been raining with a little sleet and snow, temps were right around freezing.

My buddy and I went out to a pipeline where some dozers had been going through. The dozer ruts were full of mud and water.

I took that Maadi, put it in the bulldozer rut, then stepped on it until the AK was totally submerged in mud.

After waiting for a few minutes, I pulled the rifle up, pointed it down so the water could run out of the barrel, then fired it.

The Maadi was so clogged with mud, the action would not cycle, but it did fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 17,104 Times in 7,098 Posts

i have those ergo grips on my 47, my 74, and my DSA SA58... love em, way better than stock grips
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Hey Kev, what size glove do you normally wear? I've been eye balling that grip for awhile... definitely seems like it'd be just what I need (love the overmolds). Right now I have a SAW grip on mine... but the hard plastic and overall shape of it just isnt as comfy... this seems like it'd feel alot better in hand.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunktank View Post
Hey Kev, what size glove do you normally wear? I've been eye balling that grip for awhile... definitely seems like it'd be just what I need (love the overmolds). Right now I have a SAW grip on mine... but the hard plastic and overall shape of it just isnt as comfy... this seems like it'd feel alot better in hand.
I would probably wear a medium sized glove, rarely wear gloves though.

I am 5 feet 9 inches tall, if that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM

I might just give it a go... I wear a large so anything is better than a standard AK grip... well... unless youre a small fellow of asian heritage
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Hiker

I got one similar to this one and its awesome. It makes the rifle so much easier to handle. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another one for a different AK. The only thing I might add is to use blue locktight. The last thing you want is this thing coming loose when you least expect it!

As for washing the AK in the stream... I wouldn't do that to my rifles unless I HAD to but I know that it will handle it and there is nothing wrong with that. Just my $.02.

V.
The Following User Says Thank You to voland For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,233 Times in 15,606 Posts

Im too old to change, that old orange grip is like a part of me now, good review tho.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,728 Times in 30,655 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Another grip worth considering is the Command Arms UPG-47. It has 3 interchangeable rubber front straps and 3 rear. You can tinker with various combinations until you find a combo that makes it feel like it was molded to your hand. It's not as soft as the overmolded ERGO. But it became my personal favorite after using the AR-15 version. Soon afterwards, I installed it on my AKs also.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the review! Upgrading my AK's grip is definitely on my list of things to do ASAP. Anybody tried the Hogue grip?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired

Bravo Kev!

I have been running that grip on my Norinco T56SHTF for a long time and love it.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

Great review, Kev. The only honest test/review for a firearm and it's equipment is out in the elements of nature getting crapped on.

I think it's funny watching all the little girls get upset over you rinsing your AK in the creek there. How else are you supposed to clean an AK?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 14,720 Times in 5,249 Posts

I have the hogue grip on my Arsenal AK47 and love it. Very glad I switched it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,882 Posts

A quick, inexpensive upgrade to the factory grip is the addition of a sleeve made from a 2.25 bicycle inner tube (turn inside out for better grip). Nice review, though.
Never tried rubbing mud on the grip but have used blood (not human, couldn't find a volunteer.)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12

Get a Hogue grip, especially for an ak-47. You will not be disappointed, it pays for itself the first time you grip your ak with it installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunktank View Post

I wear XL gloves and love this ERGO grip