Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM
INFIDEL-24/7's Avatar
INFIDEL-24/7 INFIDEL-24/7 is offline
sick of it all
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,092
Thanks: 448
Thanked 1,558 Times in 620 Posts
Default Rock River Arms LAR-47



Advertise Here

Sorry if this is a re-post, but a search came up empty. Does anyone here have one? Looks like a great combo, any feedback?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,599
Thanks: 6,000
Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default



Don't know anything about it, but it does look interesting.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM
LuniticFringeInc LuniticFringeInc is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,878
Thanks: 1,872
Thanked 4,664 Times in 2,178 Posts
Default

Looks promising, I am just curious if they have a .308 bore or a .311 bore. Given the cost one has to wonder if they will really get much in the way of market share when a AK is so much more cheaper to buy.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 AM
rover's Avatar
rover rover is offline
Shangri la
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: alaska,formerly Russia
Age: 52
Posts: 21,598
Thanks: 24,642
Thanked 46,476 Times in 15,653 Posts
Default

No thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Herd Sniper Herd Sniper is offline
American fearmaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,602
Thanks: 11,721
Thanked 20,105 Times in 6,831 Posts
Default

I asked some tactical guys I know about the LAR-47. The LAR-47 is a GI/DI (gas impingement or direct impingement) system that shoots the 7.62 X 39 cartridge. Basically it is a larger size M-4 type carbine which uses gases to push the bolt backwards and dump carbon and dirt into the chamber area. The guys overall opinion was it was a decent idea provided you kept the chamber area clean. The problem with keeping the chamber area clean is that the ammo used in making most of the X 39 rounds is pretty dirty stuff.

Over all, the guys like the idea of the LAR-47 carbine and rifle. They liked the idea of being able to use AK magazines with an M-4 type set-up. But they did admit to almost being anally retentive about cleaning their LAR-47s. One a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest/best, the guys rated their LAR-47s at an 8. Good size bullet using reliable magazines that don't jam on them. There is some talk or rumors about Rock River possibly making a LAR-47 that is piston operated. Again, this talk or rumors and nothing has been confirmed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Cpl. Kalkwarf Cpl. Kalkwarf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 92
Thanks: 11
Thanked 65 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Damn I want one in 5.45. T AR-74 :D
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Cpl. Kalkwarf Cpl. Kalkwarf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 92
Thanks: 11
Thanked 65 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Hmm I wonder if one could use Galil mags and a 5.56 upper.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
escape's Avatar
escape escape is offline
Sic semper tyrannis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,640
Thanks: 12,550
Thanked 13,984 Times in 4,370 Posts
Default

It looks interesting, I wish we could see under the hood.
I also wish RRA's website wasn't such an eyesore, I really hate going there.

...curious about their polymer 1911.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,599
Thanks: 6,000
Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
I asked some tactical guys I know about the LAR-47. The LAR-47 is a GI/DI (gas impingement or direct impingement) system that shoots the 7.62 X 39 cartridge. Basically it is a larger size M-4 type carbine which uses gases to push the bolt backwards and dump carbon and dirt into the chamber area. The guys overall opinion was it was a decent idea provided you kept the chamber area clean. The problem with keeping the chamber area clean is that the ammo used in making most of the X 39 rounds is pretty dirty stuff.

Over all, the guys like the idea of the LAR-47 carbine and rifle. They liked the idea of being able to use AK magazines with an M-4 type set-up. But they did admit to almost being anally retentive about cleaning their LAR-47s. One a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest/best, the guys rated their LAR-47s at an 8. Good size bullet using reliable magazines that don't jam on them. There is some talk or rumors about Rock River possibly making a LAR-47 that is piston operated. Again, this talk or rumors and nothing has been confirmed.


These things didn't come out all that long ago and you have a group of guys who not only have them, they have extensive experience with them and you can assemble them in a group.

Fascinating...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Heckler&Coke's Avatar
Heckler&Coke Heckler&Coke is offline
المتخلفين قوات
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Off the reservation
Posts: 5,495
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default

Take the worst features of the AK47 and the AR15, put them together, and whalla!

What the hell is the point of this? I've never understood x39 ARs, I hate to poo-poo things, but I think this deserves poo-pooing. I still have not understood the reasoning for using x39 in a AR, especially when 6.8 and 6.5 are pretty much modernized, vastly superior versions of x39 in the first place. ...oh, and .300 blackout
Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,599
Thanks: 6,000
Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
Take the worst features of the AK47 and the AR15, put them together, and whalla!

What the hell is the point of this? I've never understood x39 ARs, I hate to poo-poo things, but I think this deserves poo-pooing. I still have not understood the reasoning for using x39 in a AR, especially when 6.8 and 6.5 are pretty much modernized, vastly superior versions of x39 in the first place.
You failed to mention the .300 AAC Blackout. That's caliberacism.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Heckler&Coke's Avatar
Heckler&Coke Heckler&Coke is offline
المتخلفين قوات
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Off the reservation
Posts: 5,495
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
You failed to mention the .300 AAC Blackout. That's caliberacism.
Duly noted, I can't believe I forgot the one intermediate .30 cal in the AR mix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,599
Thanks: 6,000
Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
Duly noted, I can't believe I forgot the one intermediate .30 cal in the AR mix.
Good save on your part!

I was just about to call the NAAAP, the ACLU and the SPLC.



NAAAP-National Association of the Advancement of Alternative Ammo Projectiles

ACLU-Ammunition Civil Liberties Union

SPLC-Southern Projectile Law Center


Caliberacism is utterly unacceptable...except against the .22's, which are just rimfires and barely ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Heckler&Coke's Avatar
Heckler&Coke Heckler&Coke is offline
المتخلفين قوات
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Off the reservation
Posts: 5,495
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
Good save on your part!

I was just about to call the NAAAP, the ACLU and the SPLC.



NAAAP-National Association of the Advancement of Alternative Ammo Projectiles

ACLU-Ammunition Civil Liberties Union

SPLC-Southern Projectile Law Center


Caliberacism is utterly unacceptable...except against the .22's, which are just rimfires and barely ammo.

LOL. Better be careful with that last sentence, there's a lot of .22ists, around here.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Tarik's Avatar
Tarik Tarik is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 440
Thanks: 3,180
Thanked 697 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
No thanks!
I agree.


I'd rather have my old beat up AK-47 than a brand new AR-15 in the same caliber.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tarik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Heckler&Coke's Avatar
Heckler&Coke Heckler&Coke is offline
المتخلفين قوات
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Off the reservation
Posts: 5,495
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
I agree.


I'd rather have my old beat up AK-47 than a brand new AR-15 in the same caliber.
...what about one of these?








I wouldn't mind a PTR32 to go with my vz58, but an AR47? Kind defeats the whole point of 7.62x39 firearms in general, the AK in particular...
The Following User Says Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,599
Thanks: 6,000
Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
LOL. Better be careful with that last sentence, there's a lot of .22ists, around here.
Who cares about what Mall Ninjas think?


The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
escape's Avatar
escape escape is offline
Sic semper tyrannis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,640
Thanks: 12,550
Thanked 13,984 Times in 4,370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
No thanks!
Come on man it's a fascinating looking hybrid, kind of like a half japanese girl. Don't knock it til you rock it.

The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Heckler&Coke's Avatar
Heckler&Coke Heckler&Coke is offline
المتخلفين قوات
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Off the reservation
Posts: 5,495
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Come on man it's an fascinating looking hybrid, kind of like a half japanese girl. Don't knock it til you rock it.

Really? Full japanese > half japanese.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
INFIDEL-24/7's Avatar
INFIDEL-24/7 INFIDEL-24/7 is offline
sick of it all
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,092
Thanks: 448
Thanked 1,558 Times in 620 Posts
Default

Wow, this thread went off track fast...




























































...thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INFIDEL-24/7 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Say hello to Rock River Arms! Sticks440 Rifle Forum 1 02-05-2012 02:11 AM
Rock River Arms AR-15 SKSTAPCO Military Weapons Forum 32 12-03-2011 06:16 PM
Rock River Arms Judge35 Military Weapons Forum 95 09-27-2011 11:01 PM
Rock River Arms or not that is the ? Necred Rifle Forum 17 03-02-2011 06:11 PM
Rock River Arms AR-15 Deadly x Monk Rifle Forum 8 09-12-2009 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net