Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Texan

Default Reloading for mosin nagant

Advertise Here

Well I got a mosin and I only bought 15rds on stripper clips cause everything in that store is overpriced. Anyway I have 8rds now I love that gun and I have a decent chunk of money around $100 and I wanted to get a lot of ammo for it. I've been researching and surplus ammo is almost as interesting as the gun. Reloading for the mosin ain't worth it now because there's not that much brass cause the surplus is reasonable, but I'd like to reload special rounds for it so I can take it multitasking like real low power so I can go small game hunting and not have to damage my 22 and I can carry one gun and hunt many different things. I plan on reloading for hunting with it and I'd also like to know the bore diameter for standard 54r I'd do it myself but currently all my reloading/casting stuff is in storage. I'd also like to load up some AP and inceniary or API to mess around with if there's still AP projectiles in that bore size.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Thanked 10,318 Times in 3,857 Posts

I'm a reloading noob, so I can't offer too much advice. One thing I suggest you look into is the difference between Berdan and Boxer primers.

Good Luck
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
I'm a reloading noob, so I can't offer too much advice. One thing I suggest you look into is the difference between Berdan and Boxer primers.

Good Luck
I'm not real experienced either but I'm not green wolf and S&B I think make boxer primed brass cased ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamesconn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
III%

Thanked 23,493 Times in 2,934 Posts

Spam cans and stripper clips and crates, oh my!
http://sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r

Winchester reloadable ammo, just over $20/20 rounds-
http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x54r-russ...x-p-50050.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Texan

You can find brass cheaper than that I'm not going to practice ammo just special stuff if your gonna be a troll than just don't post.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Target Shooter

What kind of small game do you have that wouldn't get shredded by a 7.62x54r round?

The Mosin Minute: Reloading 7.62x54r. Part 1 of 4

If you want to try your hand at reloading the steel cased berdan primed stuff, there's vids and pdfs with the info you need. People have done it. If you want brass, you likely will have to buy the rounds, which are pricey. Most people that have Mosins buy surplus because it's cheap. Good luck finding once-fired brass. Looks like the $20/20 rds from Win that Sweeper80 offered you is on par with most everything else. The S&B is a little cheaper, but not by more than $2.

As far as bore size goes, if you're talking the bore size of the gun, it's .308, or thereabouts. Your standard surplus ammo in spam cans is 7N13 load, which is AP. I don't know bullet specs to say if you can load NATO into 54r cases or not. Doubt you will find API or tracer ammo in 54r that is actually orderable anywhere.

If you already know all this, don't call me a troll too, or I'll be sure to avoid your threads FNO.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,670 Times in 950 Posts

If you want something low powered lookat a chamber insert to use 7.62x25 tokarev.

7.62x54r is one of the few I don't bother with. 308 bullets will work but 311 works better.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM

Most russian mosins have a bore diameter of .311 to .312. Finnish models usually go at .308. For blasting ammo, surplus is the way to go. Some is available with mild steel core. Wolf Premium is made by Prvi, and is reloadable. Winchester is also reloadable. Both are available with huntung bullets. I have also collected S&B and Norma cases that are Boxer.
I've managed to collect about 1000 or so cases, and have experimented with different loads. I like to load a 123 gr soft point (think 7.62x39) at about 3000 fps. They aren't real efficient bullets, with a BC something like a brick. Hornady's bullets are .310, so I get decent accuracy out of them. Haven't done any hunting with them, but they do blow up a prairie dog nicely. Hornady's load manual shows they can also be loaded down to 2500fps.
If you want to load heavier, try using the bullets for the .303 british.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdlong For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 AM
III%

Thanked 23,493 Times in 2,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesconn View Post
You can find brass cheaper than that I'm not going to practice ammo just special stuff if your gonna be a troll than just don't post.
I give you links to cheap surplus ammo and boxer primed brass ammo, and you call me a troll?

Dude. Don't be a douche.

I buy the late 70's surplus by the crate and shoot it like it's goin' out of style. The WWB stuff, I buy 20 rounds per year, because it's legal to hunt with and I can reload it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,752 Posts

A coworker hunts with a mosni nagant. I was upset he was using the surplus ammo hunting, althought it is legal over here.

So, i bought him some S&B soft points. I told him to shoot half the box and tell me what he thought. He said they shot well. I also fixed his sighting problem. I forgot whether I heightened or shortened his front sight, but did that too.

I'm cleaning out my basement today, I will find out what bullet heads I reloaded for him. I bought him 3 or 4 boxes of that sellier and bellot stuff and some 190ish grain bullets. I usually buy hornady stuff, could be winchester stuff too. They worked great for him. He gives me about 5 to 15 spent cases a year. I'm probably due to reload him 50 or 60 rounds. I reload hunting rounds for a few buddies with surplus guns.

About speciality loads. I used to hunt small game with a 30-30, I used Speer 110gr bullets loaded with a special powder used to make rifle rounds at 22lr speeds. they ram about 1300fps on the chrono. They were rougher on game than a 22lr. I shot for the middle of the stomache area on squirrel. They were easy on rabbits and about the best round you could think of when shooting coyotes or fox for pelts. Keep in mind your point of aim will be different. I used these round on a lyman 66 peep sighted marlin 336. The elevation adjustment has a ruler guide on the side.

this is when I used to hunt anything during big game season. I stopped shooting at squirrels in the trees with rifles anymore. Someone put a bullet hole in my roof a few years ago. Might of been possible I could of done that at one time. I also took a big liking at hunting grouse. So, I mainly walk the woods with some #6 shot in my shotguns.

Just curious, do they wimp out on mosin ammo in the US manufacturers. I have used winchester ammo for my 8mm mauser. They wimp out big time on velocity. I believe the concern with SAAMI standards is the early .318" bore mausers, the roughly post 1910 or so 8mm mauser bore size went to .323". So, they put a mild powder charge behind a .321" bullet. I'm surprised how well it shoots despite the bore size difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting a touch more epxensive handloads. I do it all the time with 7.62x39. It is a pain in butt to collect the spent cases though. bolt guns have a big advantage in that department.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,443 Posts

Quote:
Well I got a mosin and I only bought 15rds on stripper clips cause everything in that store is overpriced. Anyway I have 8rds now I love that gun and I have a decent chunk of money around $100 and I wanted to get a lot of ammo for it. I've been researching and surplus ammo is almost as interesting as the gun. Reloading for the mosin ain't worth it now because there's not that much brass cause the surplus is reasonable, but I'd like to reload special rounds for it so I can take it multitasking like real low power so I can go small game hunting and not have to damage my 22 and I can carry one gun and hunt many different things. I plan on reloading for hunting with it and I'd also like to know the bore diameter for standard 54r I'd do it myself but currently all my reloading/casting stuff is in storage. I'd also like to load up some AP and inceniary or API to mess around with if there's still AP projectiles in that bore size.
You can try gas checked cast bullets with 15 or so grs of 2400. That should get you at about 1300-1500fps, depending on bullet weight and pwder charge. Would not be as brutal on a rabbit or other small game as a fullhouse jacketed load. I am sure you could find lower weight bullet molds that would not destroy so much meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,738 Times in 756 Posts

You need to get mil surplus and forget about reloading for a cartridge that 90% of ammo is non reloadable.

http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/60...stripper-clips
The Following User Says Thank You to TNdeerhunter96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Texan

Please give me links to surplus API, inceniary, and hunting ammo.

I am buying surplus ammo a half crate of the light ball on stripper clips and a half crate of heavy ball.

I am going to shoot surplus 98% of the time but surplus does not cover all my wants that's why I want to reload.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,738 Times in 756 Posts

You have a .22 why would you want to waste money on trying to reload for a .30 cal rifle that was meant to stop 200 pound men to shoot squirrels.

There are 3 links posted for surplus and hunting ammo.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM
5--4--3--2--1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper80 View Post
I give you links to cheap surplus ammo and boxer primed brass ammo, and you call me a troll?

Dude. Don't be a douche.

I buy the late 70's surplus by the crate and shoot it like it's goin' out of style. The WWB stuff, I buy 20 rounds per year, because it's legal to hunt with and I can reload it.
I thought this thread was going pretty good everybody trying to get along and help a new guy out. Kinda went south with the troll crack he made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verkalak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
bring the pain

Thanked 2,805 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Boys should be more respectful to men with 4,000+ posts and 2,000+ thanks

Small game loads for 7.62x54R - look up 'the load' by Mr C.E. Harris.

Thirteen (13.0) grains of either Red Dot or Promo - under a cast bullet between 150 and 200 grains. Reduced recoil + blast and will leave something to clean and eat. I suspect it could also be used on whitetail at 100 yards or less. Such things are verboten in IL but I suspect it would work.
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,246 Posts

Chamber adapter sleeve (.32 Auto)

MC Ace Adapters

How to handload subsonic cartridges pt1

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

How to handload subsonic cartridges pt2

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html

How to handload subsonic cartridges pt3

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane3.html

Silent but Deadly

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

Red Dot in Reduced Rifle Loads

"The Load" is 13 Grains of Red Dot" (In most strong-actioned, military rifles of .30 cal. or larger)

READ ON FOR SPECIFICS AND WARNINGS!

By C.E. (Ed) Harris, Revised 2-16-94
Red Dot is bulky, compared to the usual rifle powders used in .30-06 size cases. It occupies more powder space in typical charges than common "reduced load" rifle powders, such as #2400, IMR4227, IMR4198 or RL-7. The lower bulk density of Red Dot adequately addresses my safety concerns because it makes an accidental double charge far less likely.

"The Load" has distinct advantages over more expensive alternatives, within certain limitations, which are:

1. The case must be LARGER than the .300 Savage or .35 Remington.

2. The rifle must be of MODERN (post 1898) design, suitable for smokeless powder, with a bore size of .30 cal. or larger.

3. The bullet weight must be within the NORMAL range for the given cartridge.

4. Inert fillers such as Dacron, kapok or are NOT RECOMMENDED! (Nor are they necessary).

Gas-checked cast bullets required in the .30 cals., otherwise you will get leading, but plain-based ones work fine in the 8mm Mauser or larger.

"The Load" has shown complete success in the .30-40 Krag, .303 British, 7.65 Argentine, .308 Win., 7.62x54R Russian, .30-06, 8x57 and .45-70.

"The Load" fills 50% or more of a .308 Win or .30-'06 case. The risk of an accidental double charge is greatly reduced, because the blunder is immediately obvious if you visually check, powder fill on EVERY CASE, as you should whenever hand-loading! A bulky powder measures more uniformly, because normal variation in the measured volume represents a smaller percentage of the charge weight.

Red Dot's granulation is somewhat less coarse than other flake powders of similar burning rate, such as 700-X, which aids metering. Its porous, uncoated flakes are easily ignited with standard primers. So-called "magnum" primers do no harm in cases larger than the .30-'06, but are neither necessary nor recommended in smaller ones. I DO NOT recommend pistol primers in reduced rifle loads, because weak primers may cause erratic ignition, and their thinner cups can perforate more easily, causing gas leakage and risk of personal injury!

The velocities obtained with 13 grs. of Red Dot appear mild, but "The Load" is no pipsqueak! In a case like the .308 or .30-06, you get (from a 24" sporter barrel) about 1450 fps with a 200gr. cast bullet, 1500 with a 170gr, or 1600 with a 150gr cast load. "The Load" is fully comparable to "yesterday's deer rifle", the .32-40, and provides good expansion of cheap, soft alloys (10-13 BHN) at woods ranges. Jacketed bullet velocities with "The Load" are about 120-150fps less than a lubricated lead bullet of the same weight.

My preferred alloy in the .30 cals. is a mixture of 3-5 lbs. Of .22 backstop scrap to 1 lb. of salvaged linotype. Wheel-weights also work well, as do soft "Scheutzen" alloys such as 1:25 tin/lead. in bores of 8 mm or larger. "The Load" drives soft-cast .30-cal. to 8 mm bullets fast enough to get expansion, but without fragmenting. These out-penetrate factory .30-30 softpoints, and kill medium game up to 150 lbs. well at short ranges up to 100 yards, when placed accurately.

The Load" works well with jacketed bullets, giving somewhat lower velocities than with cast lead, due to less effective obturation and greater friction in the bore. The 85gr or 100gr Hornady or 90gr. Sierra JHP for the .32 H&R Mag. revolver, or the Remington 100gr .32-20 softpoint bullet become mild, but destructive varmint loads at 1600 fps from a .308 or '06.

If you substitute a stiffly jacketed 110gr .30 Carbine softpoint bullet, designed for higher velocities than imparted by "The Load", you have a non-destructive "coup de gras", small game or wild turkey load which shoots close to your deer rifle's normal zero, but at 25 yards! The 173-gr. Match .30 cal. boattail bullets may not shoot as well at these low velocities as lighter flat bases in the 12" twist .308 Win. barrels, but they do quite well in ten-inch twist barrels such as in the '06, 7.62 Russian and .303 British.

The economy of a lighter charge is obvious. A full power .30-06 load using 50 grs. of an IMR powder like 4064 costs 10 cents a pop, just for powder, at 140 rounds per pound (if you are lucky enough to find new powder for $14/lb.). Substituting 13 grs. Of Red Dot gets 538 rounds per pound at a cost of 2.6 cents which is a savings of over $7 per hundred rounds in powder alone! Greater
savings are possible if you get the best price and buy powder by the caddy.

Velocity and point of impact of "The Load" is not noticeably affected by varying powder position in the case. Red Dot is very clean burning and is economical both on the basis of its lower charge weight, and its lower basic cost per pound compared to other "rifle" powders.

Best of all, using a shotshell powder I already have reduces the kinds of powder I keep and eliminates the need for a special "reduced load" powder. This approach is ideal for rifle shooters who are also shotgunners, since almost everybody who reloads for 12-ga. probably has a keg of Red Dot already!

You can safely increase these charges up to 2 grains as needed to get best accuracy, but they will lead above 1300 fps unless gas-checked. Some individual rifles with smooth barrels shoot quite well up to 7 or 7.5 gr of these powders, but best accuracy is usually obtained when velocities are kept subsonic. I generally look for a velocity of 1080 +/- 30 fps These loads will usually shoot 2-1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. The minimum safe load which will always exit the barrel for indoor gallery work is about 4 grs. of the above powders.

More caution is required when assembling subsonic loads with jacketed bullets, because there is some risk of the bullet becoming lodged in the bore at near-subsonic velocities. You should not attempt to use less than 6 grs. of the above pistol or shotgun powders when loading jacketed bullets unless you check the bore after every shot and keep your hammer and ramrod handy!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Toilet Paper Hunter

Thanked 1,854 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper80 View Post
Spam cans and stripper clips and crates, oh my!
http://sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r

Winchester reloadable ammo, just over $20/20 rounds-
http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x54r-russ...x-p-50050.html
Hey Sweeper Keep those links coming. Had not heard of them before.
Now I can double my order
The Following User Says Thank You to oddgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 5,704 Times in 2,706 Posts

I just bought some of the ammo on stripper clips from these folks.
Seems a good place to do business.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Box&groupid=40 under $15 a box and I am pretty sure you can reload it.

To the OP, you were pretty rude to Sweeper80, not cool, Friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Target Shooter

Buy the pre-loaded stripper clips 1x, then don't buy them again. Reload them from your spam cans, save some money. This is probably common sense to most people. Just thought I would throw it out there.