Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water > Recipes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,311 Times in 754 Posts
Default Powdered milk for cereal?

Advertise Here

I work in a cube all day and want to start eating cereal for breakfast at work instead of some more unhealthy options I tend to take.

Anyway, I hate using my office fridge. It's annoying and people always take stuff. I know I probably could just go to 7-11 in the morning when I get my coffee and buy a small thing of milk for daily use, but I was thinking I should probably get some instant/dry milk that I'd just mix with cold filtered water at work and mix, then add cereal and enjoy.

I have never used instant/dry/powdered milk, so am wondering if anyone has recommendations on a particular brand.

Ideally, I would want something in a sealed container (#10 can?) that can just sit in my office drawer and I wouldn't have to worry about it being left at room temp...I'd probably go through one a month.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Hiker

Most brands; like Carnation, have to be refrigerated overnight.
The Following User Says Thank You to searching4itnc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
be the spice of life

I have used powdered milk for years to drink. It can take some getting use to if you have never used it before as far as the taste. The brands do vary in taste. So it may take some time for you to find something you like. I personally like the Sam's club brand...members mark. Carnation is also good and I have used Winn Dixie Brand. Some brands offer a box of small packets, or there are various size boxes. You have to plan ahead to use this...want to drink it cold like regular milk. So you will need to make up ahead of time or put ice in it to cool down instantly then strain to use however you will be using it. I usually dont measure by directions on box, I go by what taste best to me. The colder it is, the better it will taste. So dont judge it by tasting when you first mix it up at room temp. If you get a brand you don't care for as far as taste, you can always use it for cooking purposes, baking etc....You might consider making milk at home and putting in thermos night before to get cold and bring with you to work. Or maybe you can make up a container to leave in fridge right before you leave work to use the next morning. I have found that I can tolerate powdered milk better than regular milk due to lactose intolerant issue. You might enjoy the switchover....Good luck...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bamabell7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Listen to Johnny Cash

Thanked 2,615 Times in 953 Posts

I did that when I worked in the white collar world. Put the dry milk in a cocktail shaker with ice with a drop of vanilla, makes it taste a Lot BETTER.

Milkman wasn't bad, but had to be cold and again, a drop of vanilla goes a long way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to britzen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Thanked 1,228 Times in 431 Posts

Most powdered milk tastes like chalk water to me, because it's non-fat. If your local market has a hispanic section, look for NIDO by Nestle. Sometimes they put it in the baby section too. You can also order it from Amazon. It's powdered whole milk and it kicks butt.

There's another whole milk one called Peak that's pretty good.

I can't stand Carnation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prairie Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,459 Posts

You could get a case of shelf-stable milk. It comes in small containers perfect for cereal.
I like the Horizon brand. 18 containers to a case.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Hunter

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will go to a grocery store and sample various brands to see what I like first before ordering, especially Horizon and NIDO. The water filter we have at work does hot (near boiling, great for tea) and cold (not quite freezing, but I love a cold glass of water!) so figured some kind of mixing would work. If those 18 packs work then I can always put one in my bag every morning.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 21,918 Times in 7,575 Posts

You could always save small bottle, fill it from a large container at your home, and take it along with your cereal. Do you take your lunch too? My husband takes a homemade breakfast and lunch every day. There are some great lunch bags out there, and nifty little storage containers to fill them. It makes packing lunch easier and its nearly always cheaper and usually much more healthy than the alternatives.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 5,572 Times in 1,008 Posts

Dollar Tree sells shelf stable milk, I think it's called Parmelac They come in larger cartons, but sometimes they have smaller individual serving sizes as well. I haven't tried any in a while, but used to drink it years ago and it it was good stuff.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 AM

i second the nido, i hate powered milk, but with the way things are i thought i better give it anouther try for my food prepps, and i read about nido being a whole milk . so i thought ill give it a try, no it,s not perfect, but it,s way better then the old non fat stuff, also thay sell it at wall mart, and you can buy the small can , ( makes 12 cups milk ) for about 4.00, it,s a good size to try it out
The Following User Says Thank You to mrduke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Hunter

So far I've been using some kind of rice milk that I found at the grocery store. It tastes pretty good, but the cereal I'm eating (Kashi Go Lean) gives me insane gas. LOL..always somein!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,865 Times in 850 Posts

Nido. There is no substitute when it comes to powdered milk that tastes and has the mouth feel of from the carton milk.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Nido. There is no substitute when it comes to powdered milk that tastes and has the mouth feel of from the carton milk.
I mixed up a gallon of the Nido Forticada the other day just to see what would happen. Poured it into the empty gallon milk jug. Our exchange student drank a huge glass full and never twitched. My husband put it on his cereal and didn't say anything. Later he got a small glass and was kinda staring at it funny. I asked him what up. He asked if it was 2%. I said no but it's not Horizon. He just said Oh and finished the glass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prairie Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePraXis View Post
So far I've been using some kind of rice milk that I found at the grocery store. It tastes pretty good, but the cereal I'm eating (Kashi Go Lean) gives me insane gas. LOL..always somein!
Google "Kashi Farts".
Quality entertainment there folks.

Seconded only by Fiber One bars apparently. it's the chicory root
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
You could get a case of shelf-stable milk. It comes in small containers perfect for cereal.
I like the Horizon brand. 18 containers to a case.
Mom mixed it with milk when we were kids. Cut it about in half. It wasn't bad.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,242 Times in 4,902 Posts

Ive used powdered milk camping the trick to make it taste normal is to use 1/4th less water than reccomended and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract per pint. This combo will make it taste as good as whole milk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post: