Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Default Norinco MAK-90 Milled vs. Stamped Advice

Advertise Here

Hey folks,

Getting into my first semi-auto rifle, and I find myself in need of advice. I have the opportunity to by a '93 milled Norinco MAK-90 which has been lauded as one of the best AKs made for a very nice price compared to the online deals I've found. However, the difference in weight and receiver lifespan vs. slight accuracy increase may well make more of a difference than the average shooter could appreciate when SHTF. I understand that investing in a rare find has its own benefit, but having the best tool for the job during duress is more important. As well, I'm looking to buy quickly and in person (still not a big fan of faceless-online-buying and ridiculous shipping costs). It seems that milled receiver models are more difficult to modify as well. Any advice would be appreciated as my close friends with the most knowledge of firearms have been decidedly conflicted in their general opinions.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Hunter

What is the price?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,197 Times in 3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Hey folks,

Getting into my first semi-auto rifle, and I find myself in need of advice. I have the opportunity to by a '93 milled Norinco MAK-90 which has been lauded as one of the best AKs made for a very nice price compared to the online deals I've found. However, the difference in weight and receiver lifespan vs. slight accuracy increase may well make more of a difference than the average shooter could appreciate when SHTF. I understand that investing in a rare find has its own benefit, but having the best tool for the job during duress is more important. As well, I'm looking to buy quickly and in person (still not a big fan of faceless-online-buying and ridiculous shipping costs). It seems that milled receiver models are more difficult to modify as well. Any advice would be appreciated as my close friends with the most knowledge of firearms have been decidedly conflicted in their general opinions.
...you serious?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
What is the price?
800 USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
...you serious?
Yes... Everything I wrote is due to research I've done around the Net, in firearm magazines, and in instruction manuals. Did I say something crazy and not realize it? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM

The way I figure it, 2.2lbs difference makes up the weight of another magazine and a couple of DATREX bars. That could make one hell of a difference from my standpoint.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,670 Times in 950 Posts

Difficult to modify in what way? You might need to look for a 'milled' stock set, vs stamped, but not difficult to find.

I have the same type 56 stamped receiver I bought back in 91. Wasn't much later they started the MAK 90 thing.

Most of the time when it comes to accuracy your issue is not the weapon but the ammo. Wolf and other cheap ammo is made to be cheap not accurate. But most would say as long as you can hit a man sized target at 300m thats all it was ever made to do.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Hiker

I'm killing myself. Years ago bought the Norinco MAK-90 at a gunshow. New. Bought the AK-47 wood and a 1000 rounds of ammo. $200.00. No joke.

Sold it about five years later for a hefty profit. Awesome weapon and took many a deer with it. I could still kick myself.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,101 Times in 423 Posts

The reality of it is this:

You will not shoot this weapon enough to appreciate its lifespan.

You will not be able to shoot the weapon so accurately as to see any differance the milled receiver MAY make.

They are great weapons. There are reasons why the AKM was designed and replaced the milled AK-47.

Gotta see pics if you pick it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Met1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
Difficult to modify in what way? You might need to look for a 'milled' stock set, vs stamped, but not difficult to find.

I have the same type 56 stamped receiver I bought back in 91. Wasn't much later they started the MAK 90 thing.

Most of the time when it comes to accuracy your issue is not the weapon but the ammo. Wolf and other cheap ammo is made to be cheap not accurate. But most would say as long as you can hit a man sized target at 300m thats all it was ever made to do.
I may have paid a bit too much attention to opinions of owners who focus a bit too much on the aesthetics of their firearms. Quick bit of searching during a study break, and I was able to find several of the aftermarket pieces I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searching4itnc View Post
I'm killing myself. Years ago bought the Norinco MAK-90 at a gunshow. New. Bought the AK-47 wood and a 1000 rounds of ammo. $200.00. No joke.

Sold it about five years later for a hefty profit. Awesome weapon and took many a deer with it. I could still kick myself.
I heard nearly the exact story from an employee at a local gun-shop not long ago. This is why I'm keeping my Benelli as long as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met1 View Post
The reality of it is this:

You will not shoot this weapon enough to appreciate its lifespan.

You will not be able to shoot the weapon so accurately as to see any differance the milled receiver MAY make.

They are great weapons. There are reasons why the AKM was designed and replaced the milled AK-47.

Gotta see pics if you pick it up.
I agree that it's likely that I won't shoot this weapon long enough to fully appreciate the difference in receiver durability. As a matter of personal principle/eccentricity, I wait, save, research, and plan how to acquire the longest-lasting, highest-quality products to meet my needs. The fact that this is a survivalist site leads me to believe I'm not the only one with this pattern; I damn sure HOPE it'll outlive me as that may determine my lifespan in a pinch way down the road!

I guess the only real question I'm left with is this: reckon that the receiver construction process impacts the legendary shoot-through-any-FUBAR-circumstances?

All responses (past and future!) are greatly appreciated, and I hope to make my final decision over the next 7-10d. Should I purchase, pics will be forthcoming, Met!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Hovercraft Pilot

Best of luck!

I could not find any reasons to go with the heavier milled receiver for a semi-auto AKM or MAK-90.
My Norinco has a stamped receiver and it functions perfectly, even with a sound suppressor attached.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,270 Posts

Milled will be somewhat heavier but that is about the only thing you will notice. Look more at where the front site is set. If it is canted off to one side walk away. that means the barrel is off. Find one where the site is dead center as they are set by the guy testing the weapon. GB
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinnan Barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,311 Posts

As has been stated, the milled receivers in AK's were replaced by stamped ones for a few reasons. Ease of manufacturing and cost were the primary ones, but weight reduction helped in the decision. If the stamped receiver had made the longevity of the weapon an issue, or the degree of accuracy unacceptable (for an ak), the stamped receivers never would have been produced. Most AK style weapons have stamped receivers, and the legendary toughness of the weapon applies to the stamped as much as to the milled versions. The milled may have marginally better accuracy, but as far as longevity the barrel will be smoothbore before you can wear out either receiver. And the barrel will last a long time.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,321 Times in 28,565 Posts

I actually prefer a stamped AK to a milled one. So much so that I sold a preban Bulgarian milled model back in the '90s for a large profit, and bought a stamped Maadi with money left over. The stamped receiver guns I have shoot just as accurate as it did. Lifespan isn't really an issue since AKs are very robust anyway.

I simply saw the milled receiver as needless added weight. Accessories add weight too, most of which is useless. Choose them carefully. Less is more. This coming from someone who sells accessories for a living.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: