Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,851 Times in 618 Posts
Default buffalo brand ruko solingen

Advertise Here

This was my father's old hunting knife set. He passed it on to me almost 20 years ago. It has served me well in the bush over the years, and has always been lucky on hunting excursions.

Despite trying numerous other knives over the years I have yet to find me one that suits me as well as this oldy. That said, it is no longer in the greatest of shape and I'm looking for information on how to best go about refurbishing them.

I have never come across this particular knife set before, though I have seen other Buffalo skinners similar to the larger knife. I doubt it is a collectible, but I would like to know some history on these if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belifend For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Travel Light

134 views and no suggestions...

...do i need to rephrase my questions? I'd really like some input...
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,933 Times in 12,711 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belifend View Post
This was my father's old hunting knife set. He passed it on to me almost 20 years ago. It has served me well in the bush over the years, and has always been lucky on hunting excursions.

Despite trying numerous other knives over the years I have yet to find me one that suits me as well as this oldy. That said, it is no longer in the greatest of shape and I'm looking for information on how to best go about refurbishing them.

I have never come across this particular knife set before, though I have seen other Buffalo skinners similar to the larger knife. I doubt it is a collectible, but I would like to know some history on these if anyone knows anything about it.

Thanks

Howdy. First of all, as a collector I would have to say that it is VERY collectible. I love the old "goodies" with that aged patina. Secondly, I wouldn't touch it. That's to say that I wouldn't refurbish it. It's perfect the way it is. Use it if you must but I would retire it and buy a newer set. But that's just me.

This is the old boy my dad passed down to me and I don't use it at all. It's a family treasure as far as I'm concerned. Probably not worth much but "cool" in my book. It's a Montgomery Ward friction folder that my dad skinned many-a-deer with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM

A guy on bladeforums might be able to help you out with the history of the set you have, his name on there is Bernard_Levine, seems to have some decent knowledge about the knives. But from what I've been able to find, most of the knives that are the Buffalo brand weren't a set like the one your father passed on to you. So you might have more of rarity there. But look on ebay, there are a few similar to the larger knife for sale going anywhere from $20 to $400. But I agree with ActionJackson, I wouldn't touch it, the patina and appearance give it character; something no wallhanger will ever have.
The Following User Says Thank You to countryguy07 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Travel Light

Thanks countryguy,

I'm not a member there and would hate to sign up just to post one question. If you felt like posting it on my behalf I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

If I were you, I'd make a new sheath for it but that's about it.

Last edited by TxHills; 10-31-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 7,753 Times in 3,538 Posts

I would second AJ. My inclination would not be to attempt to "refurbish" this knife. Whatever wear and patina it has acquired would, I believe, add to it's value and/or "collectibility." I would retire it and purchase something new for future hunts. There is no end of affordable options.....

YMMV
Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Hiker

As others have said, if it were my knives I would set them aside. They have earned there retirement, they look like very nice knives. Now that doesn't mean you have to shove them in a drawer and forget about them. Put them up on a shelf, I just bought a nice hunting knife myself. It's a kershaw antelope hunter 2 with the orange handle. You can buy a Ka-Bar little Finn on amazon for $28 the Kershaw was $20. I wanted to get a colt but found a skinner made by Colt ( the CT296 ) and like it. It took a razor sharp edge and bought that for $20 as well.