Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM

Default old fallout shelters

Advertise Here

So in the parking garage where I work, I keep noticing that there is an old(ish...well, it looks old) fallout shelter sign on the columns as you drive up through the garage. I'm not sure where within the building the shelter actually is. Does anyone know if there is some record (government or otherwise) of the locations of old fallout shelters? Everytime I notice the sign I get curious, both about that one, and the location of any others in the area.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 PM
tempus fugit

Not sure about the others, but if there is one in your building it should be in the blueprints. I don't know where you can get a copy, but have a good excuse for needing them.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,525 Times in 5,841 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Some of those shelters were pretty good ones. Others were at the lower limit of protection or PF 40. Still better than nothing. But check it out thoroughly before you tie up any resoruces in it. If it is a deep basement I'd say get pretty serious about it. If it is just a partially buried mechanical room, I'd look elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,826 Times in 3,003 Posts

Ask the janitor. They probably keep supplys down there.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 28,245 Times in 14,848 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Check with building maintenance too. They might have plans, and more importantly keys.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,449 Times in 703 Posts

Most of the old shelters have now ben converted into some type of useable space / Missing doors, walls/ ventilation

Always worth checking out thow / Never know their might even be some cool stuff their
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM

The blueprints should be on file at the county records office. The easiest way to find it though would be to look around on the first floor or lowest level. I can't imagine a fallout shelter being anywhere other than the bottom level or underground.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,901 Posts

unfortunately some of those old CD shelters were nothing but the basement/lower level of a parking garage .... there might never have been anything more .....

a cache of old CD supplies was found last year in Chicago .... they tore down a section of wall of Lower Wacker Drive .... no shelter was involved .... the underground parkway was the shelter ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM

I don't think there's any way I could really investigate it personally...although I now have a couple of ideas of where it might be, after reading your posts, based upon what I do know about the building. There is a security guard that I occasionally cross paths with & talk to on the elevator...perhaps I could randomly ask him. It's really just curiosity more than anything. I do wonder why they've left up the signs all these years, if no one knows where it is.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 AM

Does anyone have, or know of, any photos of the foodstuffs that were stocked in these shelters? When I was a kid in school (1960s) we were told that they were full of barrels of crackers. I've always been curious as to what were in our shelters.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Old CD Survival Cache Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post
Does anyone have, or know of, any photos of the foodstuffs that were stocked in these shelters? When I was a kid in school (1960s) we were told that they were full of barrels of crackers. I've always been curious as to what were in our shelters.

somebody from the site took pictures of the CD supplies they found in Chicago .... that posting should be in the archives .... medical supplies, crackers, water barrels ect ect
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,449 Times in 703 Posts

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/ - lots of good pictures and info.
The Following User Says Thank You to LIBERTYCHICKEN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,462 Posts

You are probably in the shelter in the garage. Typical shelter areas are in underground parking, sub basements and basements and the center of middle floors on buildings 5 or more stories above grade. If it is a masonry exterior building you get brownie points. The mid level of an above ground parking structure works too.
The Following User Says Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Hunter

Where i am from there were a few regular shelters but there were a lot of old mines in the area that were also shelters.

The mine shelters had no supplies but there were a number of trucks trailers stored on the navy base that were full of supplies for these mine shelters.

Years ago i work as a security officer on the base and have been in the main command shelter and one night got the maps of all the mine shelters.
later i worked with the local mine rescue team and found they had did the survey of the mine shelters and got a copy of all there notes.

The real joke was i had a mining claim on one of there mine shelters for 30 years. and planned to use it as my shelter

And i got a copy of the operating rules for the shelters and found that CD people planed to search everyone for weapons before they were allowed in to the shelters and confiscate any weapons. thank you Dean Ing

I had hidden supplies in the mine along with a gun.(and explosives) so that searching me would have done little good.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Big tins of crackers, canned water and 1st aid supplies.

Someone cleaned out a shelter and threw away the contents down by the river where I fish a few years ago.

I salvaged what I could but most of the stuff was in pretty bad shape.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM
=)

Quote:
Most public buildings that were labeled with the "fallout shelter" sign had no elaborate set-up that you might think of as far as being a bomb shelter.Our church was built in like 1909 and it is made from block,cut stone and poured concrete with a huge level of rooms well below ground used for craft,teaching and recreation rooms normally. They'd offer excellent protection from blast and fallout having concrete floors overhead.
The one in ours the govt stopped maintaining in the mid 70's and the old barrels for water storage,medical&toiletry supplies plus geiger counters and dosimeters have long since walked off and been thrown out.I remember this because they had our "Boy Scout Troop" that met on Friday nights down in those rooms carry out most of the old supplies to put in the trash!!!
Most were packed in olive green barrels with yellow writing and the "CD" label on them.They also had 2 metal tins that came packed in a cardboard box that were my favorite "carbohydrate suppliments" = hard candy ...they're like lemon drops but come in lemon,grape,and cherry!!!! It seemed like we ate those things for months.....lol I do have photos if I can find them that my dad took.
I was at a off the wall flea market years ago and seen 2 sealed tin cans of "Carbohydrate Suppliments"(like 25lbs a piece) still in the cardboard case. I noticed people reading the tins and looking at them before I spotted the "CD" on the box,but no one knew what they were.I knew exactly what they were! I asked the woman how much for them and she said she wasnt sure what was in them and said $5 a can I still have both!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poison For This Useful Post: