Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Black powder
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,863 Posts
Default Traditions Hawken Woodsman

Advertise Here

I have been looking at a certain flintlock rifle, a Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Does anyone here have any experience with this firearm? If so, what are your opinions on it? Is it reliable? Any major defects or problems with it?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM

I have put about thirty through mine and no problems so far. I would get another rod for it though. I used mine four times before I heard it crack. Good thing my gunshop is around the corner! It is my first flintlock though so I can't say too much other than that. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Viridovix For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,863 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,039 Times in 857 Posts

I have worked with numerous Traditions Flintlock rifles over a long period of time. In general they are of fair quality for factory made flintlocks. I have equipped several friends with reworked examples of these rifles and would not hesitate to buy one if it were a bargin.

The Traditions flintlocks use a lock that is very small. It makes choice of flint critical.

They also use a counerbored breechplug that requires the "flash" to travel down a 1/2" long tube to reach the powder charge. This tube sometimes gets cloged with fouling and causes misfires. It is espically finicky in hot humid weather.

In spte of this the rifles are a good buy if you know what their limitations are and know how to prevent the problems from occurring.

1. choose good high quality flints of the proper size.

2. clear the vent all the way to the center of the barrel breech before each loading. (that is what a vent pick if for)

3. use a cleaning brush that will reach into the recessed breech and make sure that recess is free of both fouling and oil.

There are some other reliability tricks one can do if you are handy with tools. Not knowing your craftsanship ability I had best not put that on general post. You can PM me if you wish.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post: