Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,585 Posts
Thumbs up S&W's new Glock! err.. I mean SD40 VE..

Advertise Here

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image

"With the introduction of the new SD9 VE and SD40 VE pistols, we have taken the best features of the SD and Sigma pistols and evolved them into a new generation of firearms that meet our customers' requirement in terms of both functionality and price," said Mario Pasantes, Smith & Wesson's senior vice president of Marketing and Global Professional Sales.

Quote:
NEW SD9 VE™ and SD40 VE™ SELF DEFENSE PISTOLS
The new SD9 VE™ and SD 40 VE™ semi-automatic pistols, chambered in 9mm and .40 S&W, combine value with enhanced features to deliver top-grade performance in a reliable option for home and personal protection.

1. SDT™ Self Defense Trigger for Optimal, Consistent Pull First Round to Last (8 lbs. +/-)
2. Aggressive Front and Back Strap Texturing
3. Comfortable, Ergonomic, Textured Grip
4. Dovetailed, White Dot Front and Rear Sights
5. Front and Rear Serrations
6. Standard, Picatinny-Style Rail
7. Textured Finger Locator
8. Distinctive Two-Tone Finish Stainless Steel Slide & Barrel

Uses:
  • Home / Personal Defense
  • Security Details
  • Range / Practice
The 9mm version has a capacity of 16+1--the .40 14+1

Looks like S&W finally got it right! Glock, lookout! With a retail price of $379, I'm curious to see how well these fare against Springfield's XD, S&W's own M&P, and Glock. Personally, I would love to have one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

The first thing that has to go is an 8# trigger pull. That's NYC standards - certainly not for anyone who wants to hit where they point. 5# should be max, 3 1/2# is crisp and accurate.

S&W makes great firearms. That one looks mighty fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,564 Times in 637 Posts

Just a renamed Sigma, which was GARBAGE, Glock is in no danger from this thing.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trouble For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,632 Times in 2,603 Posts

I've heard from a few folks that the SD is an improvement over the Sigma, but I agree with trouble: this pistol is not among Glock's peers. The M&P, yes. The Sigma and this latest version, no.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Just a renamed Sigma, which was GARBAGE, Glock is in no danger from this thing.
Not even close, totally different sear assembly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Survivor

To all those who cant pull an 8lb trigger man the **** up! Or go buy a SA the Glock has a lower weight trigger because it pre-cocks the striker more than the Sigma/SD/SDVE. If you want a light trigger why bother with a DA?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
To all those who cant pull an 8lb trigger man the **** up! Or go buy a SA the Glock has a lower weight trigger because it pre-cocks the striker more than the Sigma/SD/SDVE
No thanks. I'm plenty comfortable in my current level of "man" and I have no interest in buying the latest version of the Sigma...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
No thanks. I'm plenty comfortable in my current level of "man" and I have no interest in buying the latest version of the Sigma...

There is nothing about this gun that has anything to do with the Sigma, different slide, grip, barrel, redesigned sear assembly.

Sigma on left SD on right...S&W had to redesign their sear to comply with lawsuit which everyone hated as the sear was forced back on the plastic sear block, In a down and back motion giving you that gritty feeling. Now there is just a lever very simple and breaks very clean.

actual rail lighter frame/slide/barrel

real metal sights the front being night
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
There is nothing about this gun that has anything to do with the Sigma, different slide, grip, barrel, redesigned sear assembly.
Sorry. You're not going to convince me. This $280 economy-pistol is not a Glock competitor. By all means, buy what you want with your money, and I'll do the same.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Sorry. You're not going to convince me. This $280 economy-pistol is not a Glock competitor. By all means, buy what you want with your money, and I'll do the same.
ok what specific design elements of the glock make it a better pistol than the SD?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Jedi Prepper

I'll pass, although the price seems to be about right.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
ok what specific design elements of the glock make it a better pistol than the SD?
Dude. Your right. Smith and Wesson should immediately do away with the M&P line (which IS intended and DOES compete with the Glock). There is no need for the M&P line when the SD line is superior to the Glock...

Seriously though, Glock really is the industry standard. And this is proven by all of the pistols on the market that strive to take a bit of Glock's piece of the market. Everyday I see some new thread comparing the Glock to whatever. Why? Because Glock is the standard by which all others are compared.

I am weary of this argument, but here goes:

Trigger pull- better with Glock
Trigger reset- better with Glock
Accuracy- better with Glock
Fewer parts- Glock
Aftermarket support- Glock
Factory parts accessability- Glock
Reputation- Glock
Actual combat use- Glock

Ryan- I think we can both agree that the M&P line is what Smith & Wesson REALLY intends to compete with Glock. The SD line is for those that can't afford the Glock or M&P. That's ok. Not everyone can. But that doesn't make it superior to the Glock. It's a good economy pistol. I'll give you that. I think it is a bit better than the Hi-Point. So, it should be reliable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Hunter

I like the price I might buy one wife can hit .5 inch groups at 10 and 15 yards with her sigma I prefer the m&p this might be inbetween and easier on the wallet
Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Dude. Your right. Smith and Wesson should immediately do away with the M&P line (which IS intended and DOES compete with the Glock). There is no need for the M&P line when the SD line is superior to the Glock...

Seriously though, Glock really is the industry standard. And this is proven by all of the pistols on the market that strive to take a bit of Glock's piece of the market. Everyday I see some new thread comparing the Glock to whatever. Why? Because Glock is the standard by which all others are compared.

I am weary of this argument, but here goes:

Trigger pull- better with Glock
Trigger reset- better with Glock
Accuracy- better with Glock
Fewer parts- Glock
Aftermarket support- Glock
Factory parts accessability- Glock
Reputation- Glock
Actual combat use- Glock

Ryan- I think we can both agree that the M&P line is what Smith & Wesson REALLY intends to compete with Glock. The SD line is for those that can't afford the Glock or M&P. That's ok. Not everyone can. But that doesn't make it superior to the Glock. It's a good economy pistol. I'll give you that. I think it is a bit better than the Hi-Point. So, it should be reliable.
Didnt know we were talking about the M&P must have missed that in the title again what specific design elements of the Glock make it a better functioning pistol than the SD. I can name a few on the SD...real metal sights glocks are cheap plastic sights. Good slide serrations...glock very slick no serrations on front. Natural feeling grip angle....glock feels like a plastic 2X4. Index point on frame for trigger finger....none on glock
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,585 Posts

This new S&W may or may not be entirely up to the refined capabilities of an XD or Glock, but for roughly $350 people who are on a tight budget or are finacially strapped have the option of getting a suitable handgun for CCW and home defense from a solid manufacturer without breaking the bank, and/or having to settle for a POS Hi-Point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 3,226 Times in 1,571 Posts

What does this do, that the M&P line doesn't? Ohhh that's right, more **** on the wall to see what sticks.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
This new S&W may or may not be entirely up to the refined capabilities of an XD or Glock, but for roughly $350 people who are on a tight budget or are finacially strapped have the option of getting a suitable handgun for CCW and home defense from a solid manufacturer without breaking the bank, and/or having to settle for a POS Hi-Point.
Agree 100% Filthy. The SD is an economical option for those not in the market for a M&P or Glock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Survivor

The SDVE is offered as an entry level gun, they have stripped the SD down to create the SDVE which replaced the Sigma and SD basically offering a lower cost option to the M&P. The SD address the one issue everyone hated about the Sigma the trigger.. The SD has a totally redesigned sear assembly along with weight saving through the entire handgun. For the price point the gun can not be beat.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
American by Choice.

I'll tell you what makes the Glock a better choice, 30 years of design innovation and periodic upgrades that continue to make the Glock a leader is Combat Pistols. For me it's using it on three continents in several countries in all types of conditions without a failure. When the Smith can make that claim then it MIGHT be a competitor to the Glock.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos01 View Post
I'll tell you what makes the Glock a better choice, 30 years of design innovation and periodic upgrades that continue to make the Glock a leader is Combat Pistols. For me it's using it on three continents in several countries in all types of conditions without a failure. When the Smith can make that claim then it MIGHT be a competitor to the Glock.
Whats their motto "Glock perfection" lets see they are on generation 4 now sooner or latter then will get it right I guess. How are those recoil springs working out in the gen 4s oh thats right recalled....perfection???

Indiana State Police will receive new Glock 9 mm handguns as a result of functional problems with their current Glock 40
http://tribstar.com/local/x681771413...to-be-replaced

Oakland Police Department recalls Glocks
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=8143437

Glock perfection
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

Glock fail DEA frisbee test

Glock KaBoom

Defective guide rods 1999 in 26, 27

Rear rails sheared off..FBI replaced over 700 frames

Recoil spring recall

The difference is Glock makes one gun and one gun only. S&W has 160 years of firearm experience behind them. Id put my SD40 up against the G23 any day. Break ANY modern semi-auto apart they all look the same