Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Default Dual Lockup Revolver Cylinder?

Advertise Here

So I am planning on making my first revolver purchase, and I was wondering how needed a dual locking cylinder for a .44 mag would be. Would it slow reloads? If so is it only slightly? I am in the market for either a Taurus model 44, or a Raging Bull. my main concern is the dual lock. I am not sure whether I would like that or not, the only revolvers i have ever used have been .357 magnum. Thank you for responses, and please don't make this a Taurus bash thread, for those do not help much. :P
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,323 Posts

The Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk both lockup front and rear.
It's one of the reasons that they last so long and remain accurate as long as they do.

In some Smith revolvers, a ball and detent "lockup" is added to the gun. It's not as much a lock but a means to keep the crane and frame aligned as much as possible. It does help though.

Yes the double latch of the Taurus does slow reloads, unless you practice consistently and regularly.

For speed of reloading, the Smiths are the fastest, the Ruger's are next, the Colt's are tied with the Dan Wesson's for third and the Taurus double lock models are dead last. It's an economy of motion issue, the Smith's require the fewest motions/changes to operate/run the gun.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 AM

I figured it would. Thank you for the reply.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,098 Posts

Unless you plan to use the revolver in some kind of competition where miliseconds count, I don't understand how the difference in lockup time should be a problem. I mean, it's only miliseconds and the greater part of time involved in reloads is getting the cylinder filled with rounds.

I have a .44 Model 629 and a .454 Super Redhawk, and to me the difference would be negligible. Smith's are very nice and smooth running, but you'll grow to love the Ruger action further down the road simply for its brute strength and staying power, especially with heavy loads.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Well more so I was wondering if a double lock up cylinder would be necessary. If it is not, I will probably just go with the lower cost of not having the double lock. The revolver will be used as a range gun mostly, and a hunting gun but not as often. It may possibly be a trail gun also.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

The Taurus is ok, it's not going to come apart on you. Get the Ruger, you won't ever regret it...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM

I have decided to get the Ruger. I found a Ruger Super Redhawk and ordered it. Should be here in not too long.