Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 AM

Default cheap deep well pump

Advertise Here

Hi all . This weekend I helped my uncle winterize his lake side cabin. He pumps non potable water from the lake with a shallow well pump.He showed me the intake hose had a thing called a drop foot valve. What it does is prime the pump in the spring . So I asked him if it would work verticaly he said yes . So what I came up with is black pvc pipe long enough to hit water and the same size drop foot valve , put the valve on then make the pipe go up and down and eventually water will come up . Maybe put a small windmill on it to do the pumping.I plan on trying it soon.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Troublemaker

We use the exact same setup at our lakeside cabin, the foot valve just keeps water from going back out the pipe, it opens when water is pulled in then closes to hold the water in.

Are you talking about just pushing the pipe down, forcing water in through the foot valve, then pulling it up and repeating? I'm not sure if pushing it down would have enough pressure to open the foot valve and let water in. The pipe might also just wiggle around instead of going straight down like it would need to, and this method would most likely take awhile to get water

Try shoving a foot valve on a piece of pipe up and down in some shallow water to see how it works and if it makes enough pressure to open the valve or not.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 AM
To the Liberty Tree!

Thanked 1,503 Times in 581 Posts

I am very curious to see how this works out. I need a cheap way to pump water from 210' down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Bug(ging) For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Prepared

Saw on the discovery channel last night this same method being used to pump the deep, nutrient rich waters closer to the surface so that plankton can grow and feed on carbon dioxide.