Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,703 Times in 2,319 Posts

Advertise Here

As one who has simplified the selection to a single (or two) round for each chambering/caliber it really can be that easy.

My .308's use my handload for everything, practice, hunting, target work, etc. I have a couple of mags loaded with some HP's but those are holdovers from my years on the street.

Same for the .223, everything is the same soft point handload, made to match the Federal 55gr Hi-Shok TRU Tactical load. That way all of what I have put back matches the performance and reliability of the load that's still in the carbine from the PD days.

There's no point shooting different ammo, for 99% of my shooting. The only time I change up is when it's for a class and a bunch of 'ball' is used.

For handguns, I have my defensive load and my 'other' load, that I use for hunting, targets, and everything else. Normally a SWC load, it's plenty good for defense if needed but until I run out of JHP's, it is not carried normally when I'm about town.

I don't stockpile factory ammo normally except for .22's.
It's cheaper and easier to make my own.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 17,052 Times in 7,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
Just started.

I have a Lee turret press and just got a deal on a NIB 12 gauge lee loader.

Picking up dies and components. I was up late last night working on a spreadsheet to calculate price per round and it looks like if I use the Hodgdon CFE 223 and buy it in bulk, I can keep my price per round down under 18 cents.

Compare that to $0.40 retail.

I'm also going to do a couple other rifle and handgun calibers. But one step at a time.
you can get .223 down to 14-15 cents per round if you really want to... i buy montana gold bulk .224 jacketed bullets (7 cents per), primer is about 4 cents per, and i use 23.0 grains of hodgdon 322 which will give you 4-5 cents per charge

but you are correct in that you can seriously reduce your .223 costs to 1/3 of factory if you want to.

i reload 9 rifle calibers and 11 pistol calibers, i have come down to 2 primary rifle powders (H322, IMR4064) and two primary pistol powders (blue dot, H110), which i stockpile... i do need a few pounds of more non-standard powder as my 7mm rem mag and .204 ruger need some different burn rates... use red dot and blue dot primarily for shotshell

but to answer OP i have some very nice loaded stockpiles (as well as reloading components) and i only shoot consistent loads out of my rifles (same bullet weight and charge)... for my hunting guns i never use anything other than 150 grain nosler partitions out of my 7mm rem mag, only 175 grain psps out of my 8mm mauser and my .204 i use hornady 40 grain partitions... for "defense" i only use 55 gr fmj for .223, 123gr for 7.62x39, 60 grain for 5.45x39, 150 grain for 7.62x54r, only 240 gr jhps out of my 44 mags, 150 grain fmj/bt out of 2 of my .308s (DSA SA58 and kel tec rfb), and only 168 gr hpbt out of my M1A... my 6.8 is the only thing i vary: from 110 gr partitions to 110 gr fmj to 115 hpbt (i am going to standardize on the later once i shoot up all my factory ammo though)
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Nothing to see here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
I don't stockpile factory ammo normally except for .22's. It's cheaper and easier to make my own.
Well, ya gotta get some empty brass before you can reload it

Once we go to closing on our property I'll finally have a place to test out several loads to see how much muzzle flash they produce - the catch is that it needs to flow/meter well for use in a progressive press.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,033 Times in 30,474 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldimagery View Post
I got an email from one of the online companies a few months back selling that same 12,500 round drum. Price with shipping was still about $1,500 less than that. I guess for people that don't handload, it was probably a good price. I considered buying a drum to resell in smaller amounts at gun shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savinkov View Post
Don't any of you guys have MiWall or another ammo distributor at your
gun shows? They're cheaper than anywhere, becsuse you don't have to
pay shipping. There are people going out with hand trucks loaded up
with 500 and 1000 round boxes of factory Remington and Winchester,
mil SS109 in the cans, etc... If you're going to really stock up, that's the
only way to buy it.

Also sometimes a dealer will get a shipment of Hirtenberger .308...
I"ve even seen British Radway Green. I''ve got enough for a whole Berkeley
of Obama-voters
Miwall only hits certain shows. The nearest show to me that they go to is 400 miles away. I used to sell at gun shows where they set up. They turn huge volume!
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,703 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmkr View Post
Well, ya gotta get some empty brass before you can reload it

Once we go to closing on our property I'll finally have a place to test out several loads to see how much muzzle flash they produce - the catch is that it needs to flow/meter well for use in a progressive press.
Empty brass, got that.

When we were done at the range after a qualification, I scrounged every piece of brass I could find. I have a number of 5 gallon buckets of empty brass.

Plus having my FFL and 'manufacturers' license, I do quite a bit of loading.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Target Shooter

Great post, Kev.

I've used these guys for some of my practice ammo:

http://www.pbrammo.com/

Someone at the range introduced me to this stuff, and the guys I know who are using it tell me they have had good luck with it, with no ftf rounds. I haven't tried the process of sending them my own brass and having them reload it, but that is where the cost savings are according to the folks I talked to. I need to get in a habit of saving my brass at the range.

But the rounds I have tried all go bang and are, for me, as good as more expensive stuff I have bought online.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 AM

Default Ammo

IMHO and based on real life experience, there should only be two kinds of ammo. Training (FMJ) and Meat (expanding tip). This hopefully does not need further explanation.
Regards,
Sarge
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,505 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
When we were done at the range after a qualification, I scrounged every piece of brass I could find. I have a number of 5 gallon buckets of empty brass.
ha ha ha thats funny I thought I was the only tightwad that did stuff like that. I quiet literally have a tri-wall on a pallet in once fired 7.62x51, 5.56, 9mm (1/2 a tri-wall) and 12 guage that I aquired from my job before retiring. Unless there is a civil war...I dont think I will run out of those calibers anytime soon. I am quick to volunteer for range clean up day too for the same reasons....to get brass for other calibers I need or want so I dont have to buy it. I reload most of the ammo I have and shoot. There are somethings though that are much cheaper to buy or the break even price is so close its hard to argue the point of reloading it instead of buying commercially loaded ammo.

In addition to all of the ammo I reload, I usually buy 100 rounds of 7.62x39 and a brick of 22 rim fire every pay day and I have three per a month. It adds up after a while to quiet a stash. Been doing this for a few years now so I will let you do the math. In addition if I run across a good deal on something like I did with the 15 round packs of slugs and 00 buck for 6.97 at wally world, I will buy everything they got on hand!

Why so much you say? Well ammo aint getting any more cheaper. In the last 6 months I have watch 22 rim fire ammo go up 4.00 a brick in price alone! When the SHTF your probably stuck with what you got and wont likely get a re-supply for quiet sometime. I can grow food, I can catch fish or trap game animals or raise my own but I can not produce my own empty brass cases, jacketed bullets or primers. As such I have a higher priority on building up my stash of ammo now than I do my other preps. Will I need that much? I hope not but if I dont when I die one of my realatives will inherit a lot of guns and a huge stash of ammo to have fun with!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Good article Kev

I prefer 308 over 22 rifles. I also have a 223 but am getting rid of it; don't like the caliber, prefer bigger is better. Bigger is better and I like seeing stuff blasted apart and vehicles disabled quickly if it comes to that. I have no problem with recoil and like you,, Rem 150 gr corelocks. I have all kinds, that I fired and tested and they are all shooting a clover at 100yds. (No foreign ammo). The high dollar ammo including Barnes does the same damage as the Rem core locks.
I like shotguns for #1 survival and self defense. A good pistol 357 , 44 mag, 45 auto.
I'm not bugging out because I would have to leave my wife behind. So I'm dug in. Just too old to bug out.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 AM

My husband and I are new preppers, unfortunately we are already in survival mode. We have lost our house and are living in a camper with 2 children. We pawned our guns to buy food, now we are seeing how stupid that was. Any ideas where we should start prepping with very little money to start with?
The Following User Says Thank You to amanda moore For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 AM

[Any ideas where we should start prepping with very little money to start with?]

Well, if money was so tight you had to sell the guns for food, then you've got other things to worry about than guns right now. First priority is to get yourselves back on your feet before anything else. You've got kids, you know what I'm talking about. When you start having a little money to spend, think about the good old trusty .22 rifle. They ain't expensive to buy or feed, and they can help you score a bit of meat for the pot (depending where you live).
A 12-gauge shotgun is similarly cheap and useful, and has the advantage of being able to take down bigger game (and being used for home defense), but with the disadvantage of being a lot more expensive to feed than the old 22.

Now, they're just my suggestions, take 'em for what they're worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muggie2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Amanda,

First off, let me express my condolences. It must be tough having lost every thing. I can empathize about living in a camper with 2 small children. My wife and I had to do the samething several years ago. We also had a large dog and 2 cats. It's not easy, but it can be done.

IMHO, the easiest place to start prepping would be with your food. Add a little bit every time that you go get groceries. Can here, can there. etc. As far as a gun goes, again IMHO, I would recommend a shotgun. 12 or 20g. Whichever you and your husband can handle. There are some really affordable defensive guns out there. New for under $300 (at least up here in Maine). Also keep your eyes open for used. Another gun to check out that is very inexplensive, (I'm probably going to be chastised for this cause it's cheap and ugly), are the Hi-Point line of firearms. You can get a carbine rifle and handgun using the same calibers. Up here, in Maine, Hi-Point pistols can be had for under $200 new. Rifles under $300.

Just remember, a little at a time. But remember, take care of your family first.

Take care and good luck

Outdoorsmedic

Last edited by outdoorsmedic; 08-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added name
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

We're good.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,137 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda moore View Post
My husband and I are new preppers, unfortunately we are already in survival mode. We have lost our house and are living in a camper with 2 children. We pawned our guns to buy food, now we are seeing how stupid that was. Any ideas where we should start prepping with very little money to start with?
camper? wow what an oppertunity! if i were you folks i would make our way tword the dakotas unemployment rate is 2%.......i sometimes lived in my car and or truck in my 20's granted no kids but there were plenty who did....a free albeit nomadic lifestyle.......take courage and make the most of it
Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Ammo

I try to buy some ammo a every few weeks for the differant calibers I own, for both hunting and protection. My Garande doesn't like the typical commecial 7.62 and it's getting real hard to find mil-spec rounds. I have seen some new rounds of mil-spec but your gonna pay for it. Cheaper than Dirt has some on occasion.

Bootlegger
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda moore View Post
I'd start with gainful employment. Then saving money to get into a home of some sort.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Happy Celtic Warrior

Default How much is enough?

20K+ of 168gr Prvi Partisan BTHP, 7.62X51
9K+ of Mixed 7.62X39
1.5K of Mixed 12ga 2 3/4 and 3" Tactical
5K of .45acp
1K of .45 Colt
.75K of .410 2 1/" 000Buck
17K+ of .22LR Mixed

Always need more, but if not, let the good times roll...

OA, out...

PS, Ammo is the new "gold." Buy it cheap, stack it deep... It's an investment in the future that is rushing toward us...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Son of the Republic...

How much ammo is enough??

* 1000 rds. of handgun ammo (per weapon) - MINIMUM
* 2000 rds. for your main battle rifle - MINIMUM
* 250 rds. for your shotgun - MINIMUM
* 2500 rds. of 22LR - MINIMUM

YMMV...
Zulu Cowboy
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Hiker

I have been very satisfied with the performance of plain, Remington Core Lokt bullets for many years. That said...you sure stock a lot of different hunting calibers. These days I shoot .308's and 06's and that's about it. One of the kids hunts with a .243 but that's until I can move him up to a .308.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Master Distiller

Great article. gave me some things to think about. i live in a small town so this will be my BIL, got some good preps but never feel like its enough. i have 5 .22 just love them, 2 sks model 59, one bushmaster CAR15 in .223, one remington 770 this is a nice one for the $ and groups about 3" at 300 with federal gold ammo, i know i could get tight groups. and a reply to mikea, post #15, it is normal to drive and hour anywhere you live in texas, that is a daily occurrence for some of us