Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Making money with a compact tractor?

Advertise Here

So, I bought a Kubota BX 2360 with a loader, rear blade, pallet forks and core aerator. I have a few acres south of a small but affluent town, a driveway to plow, gravel to spread and a few landscape projects to finish up.

No, I didn't pay cash, I took the 0% interest offer since they weren't offering enough of a cash discount.

That being said, I'm really thinking about a side business offering tractor services. I'm not really looking to make a ton of extra money, break even to pay for the tractor and some other tax benefits of owning a business.

So, snow removal of residential driveways, aerating large areas, grading riding arenas (thers a lot of those things around here!)....any other thoughts on services I could offer?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogsluvtrux For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,991 Times in 843 Posts

Plowing small backyard gardens?

I would gladly pay someone to turn and till my 100ft plot if services were available in my area. I am getting too old to buck the roto-tiller through heavy soil.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,264 Posts

That's a great idea! Could you possibly use it for stump removal as well?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,357 Posts

You could start talking to your neighbors concerning what tasks they might need done.

If your Kubota has a forward PTO you could mount a nice snowblower.

A PTO driven post hole auger is useful. They sell auger bits up to 15" for planting trees.

They sell cement mixers, stump grinders, forward and reverse soil tillers, row crop planters and cultivators.

And my favorite, the PTO driven generator.

Owning a hydraulic dump trailer, a flatbed trailer, and a heavy pickup lets you move everything down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,620 Times in 3,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsluvtrux View Post
So, I bought a Kubota BX 2360 with a loader, rear blade, pallet forks and core aerator. I have a few acres south of a small but affluent town, a driveway to plow, gravel to spread and a few landscape projects to finish up.

No, I didn't pay cash, I took the 0% interest offer since they weren't offering enough of a cash discount.

That being said, I'm really thinking about a side business offering tractor services. I'm not really looking to make a ton of extra money, break even to pay for the tractor and some other tax benefits of owning a business.

So, snow removal of residential driveways, aerating large areas, grading riding arenas (thers a lot of those things around here!)....any other thoughts on services I could offer?
Buy a tiller attachment and till gardens.
The Following User Says Thank You to home in oz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,333 Times in 608 Posts

Just let be known that your services are available. People will come up with ways to put you and your implement to good use that we would never think of.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

On a side note, I bought a new set of golf clubs and boy, was my wife peeved off. Anyone have an idea how to break it to her that I bought a tractor? Maybe just let it be a surprise when it's delivered Monday?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogsluvtrux For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

On a side note, I bought a new set of golf clubs and boy, was my wife peeved off. Anyone have an idea how to break it to her that I bought a tractor? Maybe just let it be a surprise when it's delivered Monday?
You might have your work cut out for you on that one.
Explain to her how beautiful your place will look with all the projects the tractor will do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Farmer

Thanked 20,513 Times in 8,407 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I have a small Massey-Ferguson [front bucket, backhoe, disc harrow, snow-blower] I have been asked to do a few small chores for neighbors.

I can see where you could make a few extra bucks.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Hiker

Depending on your location, plowing fire lines would be an investment.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

Idea--- dig one hole. 3' wide 6'6'' long and I don't know 6' deep for when see sees the tractor

I should add for you ! Not her.

Last edited by Sloth9669; 08-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: For you ! Hahaa not her.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth9669 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM

I had to read that twice to get it. That's not funny...how did you meet my wife?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:

Put on your best Father knows best face and in a reasoned tone explain it to her as if she was a six year old all the practical benefits a tractor brings and that it will pay for itself and her new (fill in the blank, she always has a wish list). If she commences yapping just give her that patient and pitying poor stupid thang blank stare I usually keep in reserve for political discussion with liberals. IF this approach does work the bright side is you will have plenty of time alone to play with your tractor.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spameggsbaconandspam View Post
That's a great idea! Could you possibly use it for stump removal as well?
Never snatch stumps with a tractor, especially never on a 4wd tractor in reverse. Thier drives are not meant to take that abuse, VERY HUGE $$$ for repairs. If most roots have been cut, you can "drag" them out, never try to snatch it though. Never pull from anything but the drawbar and be careful doing that, low gear and slow. I always made money brush hogging.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Hunter

Stick to Brush Hogging and Snowblowing. When you start buying alot of implements you'll never really get your money back. A rear mounted snow blower is sturdier and also allows you to keep the loader in the front for breaking down snowpiles or relocating snow to be blown. The Bushhog should be around 4' or else you'll run of power in the heavy stuff. Generally PTO power should be around 5hp to a ft for brushhog. With Hydrostatic the PTO is generally less then Tractor HP. Other things you could do is as mentioned before Tilling or even Food Plot planting. Just a warning, you can easily purchase to many toys for the tractor and spend more money on implements then the original tractor.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Farmer

Thanked 20,513 Times in 8,407 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I like my front-mounted snow blower. They are still PTO, and you clear areas much faster.

I moved snow using my front loader for years. A front loader can only stack snow so high, after that your out of luck. You stack snowbanks, a week later it has become a solid block of ice. the next week's snow gets stacked on top, and the block or wall of ice grows. You can not move it. Once it grows to the height you can reach with your loader your done. Which is why I went later for the snow blower.

It moves more snow, in one pass and it moves the snow further. So you do not have high snow banks, that build up higher and higher over the winter.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,184 Times in 652 Posts

The two I use most for other people are the rototiller and the bush hog mower, but I don't live in snow country. The few times I needed to clear snow I just used the loader. Snow doesn't get deep here.

I hope you got turf tires if you'll be driving on people's lawns aerating. The skinny tires were meant for plowing traction.

Stumps? I have an excavator and can eventually "wear out" the roots, but some trees have a tap root which goes straight down and it can take a long time to get to. I've spent a whole day digging up a large stump. When dealing with larger trees, I can be beaten by a guy with a hydraulic stump grinder on the front of a Bobcat.

Your tractor doesn't have a prayer on stumps.

Now when I need to get rid of a stump, I bore deep holes into it, in pairs at an angle so they meet at the bottom. That creates a "stove" for intake and exhaust. I bore several of those pairs into a stump using a brace and 1" bit or a cordless drill with a very long bit. Then I fill those holes with diesel and also saturate the whole stump with diesel. The next day I come back and fill the holes again because the diesel soaked into the stump. Then I light it on fire and it burns clear beneath the ground.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,150 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
Put on your best Father knows best face and in a reasoned tone explain it to her as if she was a six year old all the practical benefits a tractor brings and that it will pay for itself and her new (fill in the blank, she always has a wish list). If she commences yapping just give her that patient and pitying poor stupid thang blank stare I usually keep in reserve for political discussion with liberals. IF this approach does work the bright side is you will have plenty of time alone to play with your tractor.
Not to mention that all that side work you pick up will come in handy when its time to write thosen checks for alimony and child support

Seriously consider a post hole digger attatchment, a good source of revenue as well. If you can get a back hoe attatchment the job possibillities multiply.

Don't rent it out, i tried that and the operators beat it to death, i spent a fortune on pins and hydraulic hoses before i wised up.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM

I certainly wouldn't rent the tractor, but what about attachments? As I stated there are a lot of horse people around here, most of them have small cat 1 tractors...I wonder if the attachments would rent? The dealership I bought from no longer rents three point attachments due to skidsteer attachments being more profitable...maybe a re-rent deal with them for my attachments?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,082 Times in 943 Posts

Add a backhoe and dig pool installations. Quick easy money.