Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 AM
CHIRP CHIRP

Default "country folk" vs "city folk"

Advertise Here

Just thinking about the advantages and disadvantages between those who have been raised in city/suburban area and those from the country. I guess that each has it"s place in different survival situations. There are dumb city people and dumb country people. Smart city people and smart city people. Does one really have an advantage over the other in a SHTF situation?

Last edited by kodie1; 09-12-2008 at 07:59 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kodie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 04:19 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

City dwellers will have more "street smarts" and country folks will most likely have more bushcraft skills. In the long run, I would rather have country knowledge than city knowledge.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 AM

Should you really look as though one has an advantage over another? Each has their pluses and minuses and as ActionJackson points out each will be (in theory) better in their own element.

In my opinion, it seems as if TS will HTF in a larger, more populated area rather than in the middle of BFE, so I guess you could say the country folk have a leg up by being out of the "danger zone" to begin with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM
*** Forgives, I don't

Thanked 2,043 Times in 658 Posts

The main disadvantage the city dwellers will face are the large numbers of people. When people get hungry they will start to riot. When people start rioting there will be alot of innocent people hurt/raped and killed. In country towns, there are those that don't have the skills to survive without govermental support and will attempt to steal from others. Just not in large groups.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rridgeoutlaw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Rifleman

I have done both. Living in the city does give some street smarts, if they have to survive on the street. Other than that most just go from work to home and back with blinders on. Living on the farm I hunt, fish and garden regularly. If something breaks I fix it not the guy at the corner shop. Living in the country tends to make people more self reliant if they let it. Some still just go to town for all their needs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Highpower For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Freedom Is Not Free

Self reliance is the key to wherever you are. There are many people who have moved to the "country", just outside of town and all they do is mow a bigger yard and plant flowers. I grew up on a family farm , and my wife grew up in the city. We have a fundamentaly different way of approaching problems. It actualy works out pretty well for us. Call it type "A" type "B" personalities. I see the end result or how things should look, what we need in total. She sees the individual pieces that will get us there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ousmo92 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,400 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

It's a common saying that a lot of city folk prefer comfort and convenience, I think this is correct.

Some have the idea that money will buy there way out of anything. Might work some of the time now, but won't be guaranteed if something major happens.

For some reason a lot of city folks (in there minds) equate country with STUPID. This is VERY short sided! One of my neighbors is a MILLIONAIRE semi-retired.

Who is the smarter- the guy that realizes he can have a better life for less money living in the country so he goes and buys MORE house for LESS money AND has some land go along with it. If he's smart he'll do it DEBT FREE or- like a lot of folks did between 02 and 06 sell there overpriced house in the burbs and move to the country with the net proceeds from there house sale.

Or is the guy that stays in the city, deals with high taxes, high mortgages, battles road rage every morning in traffic, plunks his kids down in gubmint schools where they don't learn anything except how to be punks, is in debt up to his eyeballs and has health problems.

I'd say the guy that lives better is the smarter. One things for sure, only an idjit would fault the country one for the moves he made.

Lowdown3
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lowdown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Packed and nowhere to go

I spent most of my life living in the city, and for the past few years I've been living in the country. The country folk around here have the same comforts and conveniences that city folk have. The only difference is they have a longer commute to work.

As for farmers, well, I think the modern farmer would be lost and helpless without his high-tech machines.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ihatebugs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Hiker

Maybe three to four years ago, after coming home from work, I plopped myself down on the couch. It was a warm, sunny day in the summer. After a half-hour of watching a TV show, I noticed the sun had all but disappeared. What sparked my curiosity was that sunset was not going to occur for at least two more hours. I walked outside and felt the eerie calmness and saw the black sky. The Heavens opened up, the rains fell, and the winds blew. Living in southeast PA, I usually donít see too many fierce storms. This one looked so big and nasty to me that I gathered my pets and shoved them into the basement and was prepared to shelter with them if things grew worse. The last time I remembered seeing the trees sway in the wind like they did was back in 1983 when I went through my first tornado at four years of age (yes, I do remember that!).

The storm passed, but it knocked out the phones, electricity, and blocked many roads with fallen trees. Within two days the roads were completely cleared, though an effort of private citizens and the township. However, all electricity and phone services did not return for over a week. My area was hit the hardest, and I estimated I was in the middle of a 100 square mile blackout zone. Numerous other blackout zones existed as well.

So what am I getting at with this? I noticed a big difference between the city and country folks. My neighborhood was once all farmland, fields, and forests 50 years ago. Overtime, two housing developments have emerged near my home, with seemingly two different classes of people. To the east, youíve got the low-middle to mid-middle class country folks. To the west, there are the upper-middle to low-upper class of city folks who moved into the country. A walk through both developments at night revealed the following:

All country folks had flashlights, lanterns, grills, camp stoves, and radios in their homes. Maybe half had generators. Their lives continued as close to normal as possible. The city folks did not have anything at all! No flashlights, candles, lanterns, stoves, etc.

On my way to and from work, I stopped in at some gas stations and noticed most of the city folks were buying deli sandwiches from the stationís shop. Others went out to eat at restaurants every night.

Just from viewing my neighborhood, I noticed the country folks, even if they are not true ďsurvivalistsĒ, will always have some basic supplies on hand. Itís just part of their nature. City folks never, or rarely, have any emergency supplies stored, but rather try to use their wallet as a last minute solution.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Reformed Street Thug

I grew up in an urban environment but was lucky to have a father that had grown up in both downtown and backwoods areas! My father was self-employed and was fairly fortunate in his endeavors, so I guess when I was in about the 5th grade we moved to one of these private subdivisions.. I bet they all thought we were the Clampits! I can't tell you how many times squirrels would get on or in our roof, and ol' pops would be in the front yard with a .22 popping those suckers left and right or trapping coons in the front yard because they were trying to eat his pond fish!! Nobody ever called the cops though.. they might have been scared of us or something..who knows? He started taking me hunting before i could even carry my own gun!! All in all, i do not regret having spent a lot of time in both country and city environments b/c i learned much from each.. I can skin a buck and I can run a trot line, (so in this case) a city/country boy can survive!!!

Last edited by Gatorbait1; 09-12-2008 at 10:43 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gatorbait1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Doom on you!! Doom on you

We moved from a large city 10 years ago to a community of 500 people. It took us a while to get adjusted. Our first power outage had a steep learning curve in the city my power had never been out for more then a about 3 hours that I remember.
The power was out for 3 days and my stove was electric. The local Hardware store was open but had no camp stoves to buy. I was lucky the guys who owned the store loaned me his barbecue for the duration.

My next door neighbour and I worked for the same company and when I ran out of gas because the pumps didn't work he gave me a ride to work. 50 KM away he was headed there anyway but still. He had a extra gas on site because this had happened before.

Our well pump was electric as was the pressure system (no town water). ran out of water the first day I called my landlord about it he explained the issue and brought water over to me from his well powered by a genset he had for that purpose. My boss told me next time jus drive out and use the barns water it was good to drink and it had a gen set and the utility had the power there in less then a day.

On the first day of the power outage I was the only person going to the store to buy stuff everyone was good natured about the situation and I made sure I had the stuff on hand for the next one.
Then I moved back to the city four years ago and watched hurricane Katrina happen and though geez those guys where unprepared. Then I took a look around. We had no water, no real food stores and no cook stove fuel on hand. Yet we bought coffee out every day at least once I realized what had happened to them in the city there is very rarely power out for anything length of time. When something happens the cities gets the help first because of the sheer number of people. City folk are use to having 24/7 access to stores and supplies water and power country folk have at least a few of this situations per year. So they have the stuff on hand for it. In the event of a large scale situation the regular city people are dead. For those of us thinking ahead we will need to defend our supplies from hungry people trying to get food. THe country guys will have issue but the majority of their neighbours will also more then likely be willing to help out. Course the town I lived in was in the middle of no where everyone knew each other and most of the people working in town where there to support their farming habit. I mean farm.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to compboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Stranded in Ohio

Awards Showcase
Outstanding video 
Total Awards: 1

Ah, back to the ol boards...been a while. Figured I'd weigh in on this one. I grew up in the country, hunting, camping, fishing, gardening, the works. Used to visit my grandparents farm in PA several times a month. I learned everything I could about bushcraft and the like, however, as soon as high school ended I took off to the state capital for school. Lived here for about the last 7 years. In all honesty survival comes down to 1 thing. Preparedness. Thats it.

It is true that street smarts and woods smarts are different, but their much of the same. Look for food either a) in traps and snares or b) in the garbage behind grocery stores, restaurants. Yea it helps to know how to make fire, build shelter etc. in both territories however, street smarts simply dictate to use whats already built, oh wait, so do woods smarts lol.

Dealing with larger groups of people is a key difference though, however, there is also the opportunity to belong to a larger group of people. its a give and take situation. However, I think we can all agree that if **** goes south, bail on the cities.

(or just wait until everyone else does???)

food for thought. Nice to be back!!

~Nash
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JNasty4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM

I live in the burbs of Houston so im not technically back country but not technically urban, but i find that alot of well prepared city folk have a better skills with electrical situations like gen sets and so forth.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Trapper

I grew up country, joined the Corps, now I live in the city. It blows big donky balls. I hate most city people. Most city people are the definition of ..."Sheep". I have had buddies see my food/water/weapon stores and ask why. I tell them why and I get two responses, "Your crazy", or my favorite, "man if we ever go to war, I want you on my side". Most city folks heads are controlled my the media and influenced too much by peer pressure to "blend in". Country folks view the world at a distance and have a clearer picture of reality. Of corse this is just the way I view things......Im a dumb redneck as some have said.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hanklet0 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,083 Posts

The Only Difference is population density

City

Country
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cadethepagan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatebugs View Post
As for farmers, well, I think the modern farmer would be lost and helpless without his high-tech machines.
Trust me, I farm and most farmers don't own any high-tech anything. Most farm like their fathers and grandfathers. Most all farmers I know and me included work a 5 day a week job in town so they can afford to go home and work their ass off on their farms.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Highpower For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Trust me, I farm and most farmers don't own any high-tech anything. Most farm like their fathers and grandfathers. Most all farmers I know and me included work a 5 day a week job in town so they can afford to go home and work their ass off on their farms.
Or as I put it to one friend I had out west you guys work to support your farming habit. Some of the really big guys are dead in the water when the oil drys up. On them. Margins on farms are so close it's not funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to compboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadethepagan View Post
The Only Difference is population density

City

Country
Yeah but can the wiggers hunt and gut a deer. Most likely not. Have any of them even seen a wood stove before and what do they do when the food isn't in the super market and no water from the taps most of the country guys at least know where water, milk, beef and pork come from. We had a threat by farmers to "strike". It was a political ploy to get people to notice they where dieing by a thousand cuts. The response from one of the city idiots was "I'll just go to the super market and buy my food from there I don't need your road side stands." Keep in mind this is a province that needed farms to exist.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to compboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by compboy View Post
Yeah but can the wiggers hunt and gut a deer. Most likely not. Have any of them even seen a wood stove before and what do they do when the food isn't in the super market and no water from the taps most of the country guys at least know where water, milk, beef and pork come from. We had a threat by farmers to "strike". It was a political ploy to get people to notice they where dieing by a thousand cuts. The response from one of the city idiots was "I'll just go to the super market and buy my food from there I don't need your road side stands." Keep in mind this is a province that needed farms to exist.
When the food is gone in the city they eat anything they find. This includes wall papers and drywall. Rats and pigeons are on the menu too. Don't underestimate them.

-Cade
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,766 Posts

AK owners will rule the 3rd world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post: