Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Building homemade midevial crossbow for deer hunting?

Advertise Here

I live out in the woods of SC for 26 years but everyone knows that woods dont stay the woods forever, and now I have 2 rifles & 2 handguns collecting dust in my house.

1) I would like to know a rounded off measurment or plans of a homemade midevial crossbow to kill a deer at 55ft min - 70ft max
2) Can Wire from a pulley be used (alot of thin metal wires twine together)

Steel prod lenght & width=

String length & width=

(I open the window and the deers look at me knowing I cant shoot with my rifle)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,310 Times in 548 Posts

They are called arbalests and if you are handy with tools, you should have no problem.

Here is a set of plans:
http://www.knee-hockey.com/crossbow-plans

Many years ago, I played around with a leaf from a set of truck springs. Seemed like it would work just fine for an arbalest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FALPhil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM
o||||o

So you can't shoot with your rifle but you can shoot a crossbow? Are we dipping into the sanctioning of poaching? :P

Careful, bro!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,192 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Receo View Post
I live out in the woods of SC for 26 years but everyone knows that woods dont stay the woods forever, and now I have 2 rifles & 2 handguns collecting dust in my house.

1) I would like to know a rounded off measurment or plans of a homemade midevial crossbow to kill a deer at 55ft min - 70ft max
2) Can Wire from a pulley be used (alot of thin metal wires twine together)

Steel prod lenght & width=

String length & width=

(I open the window and the deers look at me knowing I cant shoot with my rifle)
A question first. Are you strapped for $ big time? Second, a point, YOu can buy a used crossbow that will serve you well without having to make something. Third, I frequent ArcheryTalk, as I am an avid bowhunter and you can learn a lot about all things archery, including, crossbows, classifieds and DIY.
I think you could buy one cheap and not have to try to build something ineffective or will break; unless you are looking for the challenge?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCalifornia View Post
So you can't shoot with your rifle but you can shoot a crossbow? Are we dipping into the sanctioning of poaching? :P
What does it have to do with poaching? Where I used to live I couldn't use a rifle due to zoning, but I could use a bow in the same area.

Seems it the same for him now.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCalifornia View Post

Careful, bro!
Let me rephrase I cant shoot my rifle to I choose not to shoot my rifle because my fammily houses are at ricochet distance (my uncle shot a deer in the shoulder and the bullet went through our cousin window).

My nebighord name happens to be my last name (We have our own set of laws) But If the laws did apply to us (Joking) we can legaly hunt with rifles in our area
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
A question first. Are you strapped for $ big time? Second, a point, YOu can buy a used crossbow that will serve you well without having to make something. Third, I frequent ArcheryTalk, as I am an avid bowhunter and you can learn a lot about all things archery, including, crossbows, classifieds and DIY.
I think you could buy one cheap and not have to try to build something ineffective or will break; unless you are looking for the challenge?

to answer you first question no and for everything else theres nothing like killing food with something you built yourself
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Hiker

In some areas crossbows fall under the same umbrella as long guns.

In others its strictly for handicapped people to bow hunt.

Very cool items... but the old ones where pretty large and heavy. Might be hard to hunt with. More like sit and camp for something to walk by.

I would still want one tho for fun.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrch View Post
In some areas crossbows fall under the same umbrella as long guns.

In others its strictly for handicapped people to bow hunt.

Very cool items... but the old ones where pretty large and heavy. Might be hard to hunt with. More like sit and camp for something to walk by.

I would still want one tho for fun.
Yep, but in some, like mine currently, they are the same as any other bow.
Someone once told me it isn't "sporting" to use a crossbow, and I replied I hunted for food, not sport. If I was sporting, I'd use a camera.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Hunter

.....younk
Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,310 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Someone once told me it isn't "sporting" to use a crossbow...
That's because someone is an ignorant boob and has never tried taking game with a crossbow.
The Following User Says Thank You to FALPhil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,192 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Receo View Post
to answer you first question no and for everything else theres nothing like killing food with something you built yourself
Ok. All good with hunting with something that you made yourself.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,626 Times in 2,530 Posts

All I know is that modern crossbows are amazing machines that you will never be able to come close to in terms of duplication. You can make an old school one but it's probably dangerous, you will probably have to custom make your own arrows since the modern ones shoot very lightweight carbon bolts, and the energy that you hit the target with won't be able to come close to the modern factory made ones.

Meaning, you are purposely highly increasing your chances of maiming/wounding both an animal and yourself. Not sure what the point is if you truly are hunting for food and not looking for a sense of self achievement or bragging rights.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Oh, you said handy with tools. Sux for me! But I'm still gonna try!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 AM

How about a blowgun instead? Good enough to hunt for rabbits, and half a dozen of rabbit is much easier to clean and dry and store than a deer.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,589 Posts

I've got a mate who tried to make a miniture 'ballista' that was small enough to carry. Like the pic but smaller of course.

He used venetian blind cordage looped a few dozen times and twisted. For the arms he used an engineered piece of laminated timber from the scrapyard. He got amazing spring from the thing and as someone with a fair bit of experience with compound bows i can tell you it would need a crank to pull it back to full power (like a mediaeval crossbow). It would of been a helluva lot of fun and bloody powerful. Scarey powerful.

Unfortunately he got way laid by another project (hydroponic fed fish farm) and never finished it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM

I saw a website just yesterday that you can download plans from, like from the 40's or 50's.
http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery-plans.html
click on the one that says 'Metal Cross Bow'. Shows how to make a cocking lever for it too. Neat page.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Target Shooter

I have used a couple of modern crossbows it is legal in my state and I wasn't pleased with the results. In my state I believe the minimum draw weight for hunting is 125 pounds.
They are accurate if set up properly but shooting short bolts made of aluminum or carbon lose velocity very rapidly and don't even approach the power of a modern compound bow.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM

the thing about the "old" crossbows was yes they are slow compared to the compound/cam crossbows but shoot a VERY heavy "bolt" which is the old rifle argument about big bore vs. high speed bullets