Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Default Best self defense .32 ACP ammo?

Advertise Here

Looking for some reliable feeding .32 defense rounds and was looking for some input.

I'm familiar with Winchester Silvertip, but since my last purchase much has changed in the .32 defense ammo market. I need to be updated.

Links to good deals will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,235 Posts

The 32 ACP is not really a good self defense choice, but if that's what you have to work with forget using hollow points. I have seen pictures of balistic test results on this round and expansion is pretty much non existant.
You need good penetration, which requires speed, so my little Colt 1903 uses Selier & Belloit 73 grain FMJ. The published ballistics on this shows they are a good 100 to 150 FPS quicker than any other FMJ at around 1,000 fps.
This was my Dad's pistol, which is why I keep and fire it. but I do not carry it for self defense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Hired Gun

I agree with rice paddy daddy, JHP's are not going to give you the reliable penetration and expansion you need in .32acp. If you feel like you have to have a JHP then I would stick with those Winchester Silvertips. Otherwise I would just find a good 1,000 FPS FMJ like Fiocchi 73gr and call it good. Buffalo Bore sells a hot .32 +P that claim 1,150 FPS, but depending on what gun your shooting them through it may not survive. Beretta Tomcat? Maybe. Kel-Tec P32? Probably not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sentry18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,848 Times in 2,360 Posts

Stick with the Silvertips, they're still a great round.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18 View Post
I agree with rice paddy daddy, JHP's are not going to give you the reliable penetration and expansion you need in .32acp. If you feel like you have to have a JHP then I would stick with those Winchester Silvertips. Otherwise I would just find a good 1,000 FPS FMJ like Fiocchi 73gr and call it good. Buffalo Bore sells a hot .32 +P that claim 1,150 FPS, but depending on what gun your shooting them through it may not survive. Beretta Tomcat? Maybe. Kel-Tec P32? Probably not.
I found a pic online where 'Silvertips' were shot into gel blocks and they seemed to expand, but not very much, but when shot into gel covered in denim they look like they were pulled off the casing and then sat upright for the pic......almost no noticeable expansion. If they are going to react like that I'm not sure spending the extra $$$ is worth it.

I do however like the idea of a faster and heavier round for a small caliber gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
The 32 ACP is not really a good self defense choice, but if that's what you have to work with forget using hollow points. I have seen pictures of balistic test results on this round and expansion is pretty much non existant.
You need good penetration, which requires speed, so my little Colt 1903 uses Selier & Belloit 73 grain FMJ. The published ballistics on this shows they are a good 100 to 150 FPS quicker than any other FMJ at around 1,000 fps.
This was my Dad's pistol, which is why I keep and fire it. but I do not carry it for self defense.
These rounds are going into a Colt 1903 that I plan to carry, since I hate mouse guns for their tiny grips, horrible triggers and high recoil affect. Found one on Gunbroker that has, what looks like, a Hard Chrome finish, it's in the mail and will be here on Monday.

From talking to the seller it's said to have a 'perfect' bore, his words not mine, and looks like it has been fired very little in it's life. I wanted a blue one but nice ones are EXPENSIVE and if I would have gone down that road I'm afraid it would have turned into a safe queen, so overall I'm happy it's got a new finish that I don't have to worry about.

Sounds like Fiocchi and S&B will be a good place to start, thanks for your input gentlemen!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gort For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Old Soldier

That "hard chrome finish" is most likely nickle plating. Off the top of my head I'm not sure if Colt did that to their 1903's, but they probably did. I've got a nickle plated Colt Police Positive Special revolver that was made in 1921. It's a 32 as well - 32-20
My dad's 1903 was made the year he was born, 1918, and while my wife has used it to dispatch a couple of diamondback rattlesnakes here at the farm, I'm hesitant to use it as a pocket carry piece. If, God forbid, I shot somebody it would have to go into evidence until the legal process was over.
Do you know where to look on the web to check the serial number for date of manufacture? Do you know how to field strip it for cleaning? If not, I can help with both.
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 6,055 Times in 2,376 Posts

You might consider Magsafe Rounds...

http://magsafeonline.com/prices_specs.php

1,450 + fps/168 ft-

The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM

32 acp is such a marginal round for self defense that you will NOT want an expanding bullet. you will want as much velocity and PENETRATION as you can get tho to ensure the bullet has a shot at reaching critical structures.

that said tho, a genuinely bad attitude towards evil doers and a 32 ACP will get you farther than a 50BMG and no attitude. as the cheerleaders used to say...

"BE Aggressive... B... E... Agressive"
The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal Killer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
That "hard chrome finish" is most likely nickle plating. Off the top of my head I'm not sure if Colt did that to their 1903's, but they probably did. I've got a nickle plated Colt Police Positive Special revolver that was made in 1921. It's a 32 as well - 32-20
My dad's 1903 was made the year he was born, 1918, and while my wife has used it to dispatch a couple of diamondback rattlesnakes here at the farm, I'm hesitant to use it as a pocket carry piece. If, God forbid, I shot somebody it would have to go into evidence until the legal process was over.
Do you know where to look on the web to check the serial number for date of manufacture? Do you know how to field strip it for cleaning? If not, I can help with both.

The finish is NOT original, the pics from the gunbroker auction show a dull, almost a brushed silvery finish. The seller (a gun store owner) said the guy that owned the pistol had several old Colts (in his estate) refinished in this 'silvery' finish and he says it looks more like Hard Chrome than anything else.

Take a look and tell me what you think it is:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=298046814

If I had a old Colt 1903 that was my dad's I wouldn't carry it either, especially if it had the original finish. Nice ones today are bringing $800+ by them selves and up to $1500 (with the original box).

Best look at the SN shows that it starts with a 4, so that would put in the early 1920s. I won't have any trouble taking it down, this one will be my 3rd Type 3 1903, but thanks for your kind offer.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM
III%

Thanked 26,652 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
The finish is NOT original, the pics from the gunbroker auction show a dull, almost a brushed silvery finish. The seller (a gun store owner) said the guy that owned the pistol had several old Colts (in his estate) refinished in this 'silvery' finish and he says it looks more like Hard Chrome than anything else.

If I had a old Colt 1903 that was my dad's I wouldn't carry it either, especially if it had the original finish. Nice ones today are bringing $800+ by them selves and up to $1500 (with the original box).

Best look at the SN shows that it starts with a 4, so that would put in the early 1920s. I won't have any trouble taking it down, this one will be my 3rd Type 3 1903, but thanks for your kind offer.
Looks like it was nickel-chromed then scuffed (brushed) and clearcoated (or just left bare?) with fine grit paper or possibly a brass wire wheel. I've done that to a few old hot rods with the factory stainless to "freshen them up."

Just my $.02, I could be way off the mark, but that's what I thought of when I saw the finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Old Soldier

Quote:

I'm an old traditionalist, so that photo on gun broker was painful for me to look at.
But, the 1903 IS a sweet pistol, as you obviously know. And now it's yours!
I wouldn't mind having a second one myself. And perhaps a 1908 380ACP.
As a bit of trivia, Al Capone carried a Model 1903.
My Dad has been gone over 10 years now, but he's with me whenever I hold or fire his gun. He taught me to shoot when I was 5, and for my 10th birthday gave me my very own Winchester 22 rifle.
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
I'm an old traditionalist, so that photo on gun broker was painful for me to look at.

I know how you feel, but considering my intent was to carry it the new finish actually works out better for me than carrying a 1903 with it's original finish....that would be sacrilegious.

Carrying this one won't leave me that guilty feeling.

I think it's great that your dad left you with his 1903 and that you get to relive the past every time you look at it, it must be a great feeling!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Trapper

Fmj!!!! Its a underpowered round and your main problem will be lack of penetration.
The Following User Says Thank You to falloutmike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The 32 acp is a up close defensive round. I carry a Tomcat when I walk my dog as I live in an urban area infested with coyotes some bimodal. Three or four quick rounds up close should take care of most situations I can theorize. I use fmj Winchesters.
The Following User Says Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Wow, it looks gorgeous!

Dig the brushed look on it

Oh: and thank you for starting this thread, i was wondering about the best ammo for .32īs too one or two days ago. Donīt have one, but if i ever pick one up itīs just good to know in advance, even though i donīt plan to carry one or grab one if i need to, but you never know.... Itīs my plan not to use one, but murphy likes to **** up your plans sometimes and you have to change īem...
The Following User Says Thank You to TinCanMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
RIP Dad

Thanked 1,299 Times in 616 Posts

That is a good looking gun. Imho if the original finish is degraded to the point that it no longer helps the value, there's nothing wrong with refinishing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bacash For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,546 Times in 695 Posts

In my day on the beat we called it a belly gun.........just a last ditch weapon if everything else was empty
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Lewis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,739 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Looking for some reliable feeding .32 defense rounds and was looking for some input.

I'm familiar with Winchester Silvertip, but since my last purchase much has changed in the .32 defense ammo market. I need to be updated.

Links to good deals will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Forget about fancy ammo. Get Sellier & Bellot FMJ and never bother about anything else.

Get your brass knuckles or your black jack ready to finish the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waldlaeufer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldlaeufer View Post
Forget about fancy ammo. Get Sellier & Bellot FMJ and never bother about anything else.

Get your brass knuckles or your black jack ready to finish the job.
The 2 main ones I've been looking at are the S&B 73 gr. and the Fiocchi 73 gr., I ended up getting 500 rounds of the Fiocchi. Price was only 10.50 per box of 50...and they'll send it to my front door for an additional $15.

Both have about the same ballistics so it was a matter of price that made the choice easier. I've shot ammo from both makers in the H&K P7s I had and both worked flawlessly so I'm not worried about reliability issues.

Thanks to all that took time to respond.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,149 Times in 799 Posts

I carry a 32 as my off duty BUG. My on duty? 380. Why? They didnt have a SIG 9mm concealable at the time... I feel ok with my 32, its accurate and I can place rounds where I want them. I shoot 32 FMJ for penetration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post: