Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Default Inexpensive, but GOOD Recurve Bows?

Advertise Here

I'm shopping around online for a good bow for deer hunting.

I don't want a compound because, well, I'm not a millionaire and those things are darn expensive. I saw a few on cabela's and they're pretty well priced, $100-$150.

Martin, PSE, Bear. Any good choices in the above price range for a first bow?
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYorkNewbie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Target Shooter

Try E-bay. Understand though that with a recurve bow developing the skills to hunt effectively is going to take much more time and practice. Probably a year of almost daily practice could get you there. With a compound bow you could be there in a week or 2.
Used compound bows with sights and a rest can be bought in your price range.
The brands you listed are good ones Others are Wing and Pearson.
Hunting with a recurve will require an armguard, shooting glove or tab, and something to carry your arrows in. You will probably need a new or at least a spare bowstring too.And a good target to practice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buck-Ridge For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Wire Guided

Hoyt makes a nice entry level recurve: check out Sportsmansguide.
The Following User Says Thank You to m47dragon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,980 Times in 1,843 Posts

Samick Sage
The Following User Says Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM

i heard good things about the Samik Sage take down bow. Also check those pawn shops!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotTheCrohns View Post
i heard good things about the Samik Sage take down bow. Also check those pawn shops!
Haha, I actually went to a pawn shop back in the spring when prices on those things should be down, those guys are nuts. They charge like its gold. We really have some crap pawn shops out here.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYorkNewbie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

I found a Matthews q2 on eBay, only 135, sights and rest.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Target Shooter

I have another suggestion before you buy a bow. If there is an archery shop close go and have them help you measure your draw length so that you when you buy a bow it will be something that suits you well. Most archery stores have a guy that can help you and will if they think you are going to make a purchase. If you go the recurve route if your draw length is long a short bow will pinch your fingers and will be hard to shoot. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, I might be very close to a decision. Now that I know compounds can be had for less, I think it will be the pse deer hunter. 250 new, or 180 new in box from eBay, or a used one for 130.

Tough call on the last two.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,093 Times in 449 Posts

I've heard and read good things about Samick recurves.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2490X

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/cata...Samick&x=0&y=0

Those two sites will give you a bit of general info on them from a retail point of view.

Unfortunately I don't have any personal reviews to offer but I hope some of this might help you a bit.

(meant to post this last night)
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck-Ridge View Post
Try E-bay. Understand though that with a recurve bow developing the skills to hunt effectively is going to take much more time and practice. Probably a year of almost daily practice could get you there. With a compound bow you could be there in a week or 2.
Used compound bows with sights and a rest can be bought in your price range.
The brands you listed are good ones Others are Wing and Pearson.
Hunting with a recurve will require an armguard, shooting glove or tab, and something to carry your arrows in. You will probably need a new or at least a spare bowstring too.And a good target to practice.
Buck got it right NY, he is telling you straight. A recurve is something to master, but only if you a willing to put a lot of time and dedication. Also building up your muscles, reason is the draw weight stays constant with a revurve. Draw back on a deer but have to hold on it for more then a couple minutes and you won't last long with a 50 to 70 pound recurve. The compund will let off at full draw because of the cams, hold a lot longer with less weight even though still a 50 to 70 pund draw weight.

Also Buck is right about getting measured, you need to get that to get a good fit on a bow. Sorta like gettin shoes.

Good luck on this adventure NY keep us informed on how it goes.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM

I have a PSE take down recurve for bowfishing, no complaints about the bow at all....Where in NY are you from? I am in Hudson Valley and can point you to a few good deals. For under $300 you can get EVERYTHING you need in a compound set up.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Hiker

10 to 20 bucks
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whauburger View Post
I have a PSE take down recurve for bowfishing, no complaints about the bow at all....Where in NY are you from? I am in Hudson Valley and can point you to a few good deals. For under $300 you can get EVERYTHING you need in a compound set up.
I'm in the Hudson valley as well, rockland to be exact. If you could point me in the right direction for some deals, it would be great. Thanks a heap.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM

http://www.hudsonvalleysportsman.com...ic,6733.0.html

I am not a member on that forum, I just read and skim ads but this is a good deal to start with...I am in a sportsmen's club based out of valley cottage, I will keep an ear out for anyone of my guys selling bow equipment and let you know.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/spo/3180650942.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/spo/3176825278.html

just a quick couple off craigslist, keep an eye there. I'd suggest setting up with a compound vs recurve for now like everyone else stated....Regardless of which bow you pick, you have to figure you'll need arrows, broad heads, sight system, quiver, target, and the list will go on...tree stand...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,585 Posts

Check E-Bay, if you've never used a bow before, a compound will get you going in the shortest timeframe. If you have to got Trad, maybe a longbow first. They are a little more forgiving, so easy to learn. Regardless long or recurve will take many hours of practice.

You could always go the older compound route; they have Bear Whitetail bows from the 80's on E-Bay etc. for cheap. They will still work as good today as they did 30 yrs ago.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Go with the recurve. Shoot instinctively, do not use the gap system. Learn to shoot instinctively, find a anchor point in your draw, for me it is my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. This gives me consistency on draw length and lines the string and the bow up with my eye. Concentrate on the target and not the arrow, shoot a bow instinctively is like shooting a basketball or throwing a rock. Repitition and consistency of shooting will allow your mind to make the necessary calculations of distance. After shooting instinctively a while a Quick way to reinforce this is to put tape that glows in the dark on plastic water bottles and spread them across your yard. Do this on nights that are so dark you can't see you hands on the bow. You need to get elevated above bottles, as on a deck, and start shooting at the bottles using practice points of course. If you plan to shoot aluminum arrows, buy a couple different full length arrows around the diameter you want to shoot strip the fletching off, glue the point ferrule in, put in practice point and shoot it. IIRC if too long for the spine of that arrow the arrow will porpoise to the right, if porpoises to the left move up in arrow spine. If it porpoises to the right cut off a 1/2 inch and replace ferrule. do this until the arrow shoots straight or slightly porpoises from one side to the other, and you will have a well tuned arrow when fletched. Get a bow that is not a strain to pull when fully clothed for hunting and you will be able to hold your shot at full draw if needed. ONE WORD OF CAUTION TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTING AND SHOOTING IS ADDICTIVE!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to West Kentucky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Samick sage is a pretty good budget Recurve. See tons of good reviews and it was recommended to me numerous times for my starter bow.

Goes for about $120
Also the Samick Polaris, about $150

At the $200 mark you have the Martin saber a Recurve with a compound metal riser. Just replace the arrow rest asap.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 7,659 Times in 2,687 Posts

Also an owner of a Samick Sage take down. I'm quite pleased with it. It has the ability to mount sights, and different arrow rests also. Mine was 170ish with a nice padded case.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,015 Posts

I have to chime in here, I shoot everything with arrows, fish, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, deer, beavers, coons.

I disagree about compound bows as getting you there quicker. They have moving parts and need tuning regularly and cost more. Get yourself a nice recurve to start with and go from there.

I shoot both recurve and compound. The compound is great for deer hunting because you can hold your draw longer easier, at least to start with. But after a season of shooting your muscles will be developed to easily hold a recurve.

Get whatever fits you and you can afford.