Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM
My kingdom for a doughnut

Default Least aggressive rooster breed?

Advertise Here

Looking into getting a rooster to watch over my small flock but the wife is concerned about the girls getting into to handle the hens since she had a horrible rooster experience growing up. What (if any) would be the best breed(s) to shoot for in this regard?
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
The bell tolls for me

Thanked 13,522 Times in 3,962 Posts

Rooster #3 is the least aggressive. In my flock Buff Orp is Rooster #1, Barred Rock is Rooster # 2. They are both pretty aggressive. Rooster # 3 is a Rhode Island Red. He never is aggresive toward people.

How young are the girls? Are they big enough to grab a chicken and hold onto it?

We take the aggressive out of our aggressive roosters with corporal cuddling. If they are bad they have to get held and carried around. Once we let them go we chase them for 3 - 5 minutes. One lesson seems to work on them for a couple weeks. Also I don't like to let them ever get behind me. I watch them just as closely as they watch me.
Attached Thumbnails
166288.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeer View Post
Looking into getting a rooster to watch over my small flock but the wife is concerned about the girls getting into to handle the hens since she had a horrible rooster experience growing up. What (if any) would be the best breed(s) to shoot for in this regard?
Mmm.. have a scar the size of a pea from the spur of a Leghorn rooster, so i know what you mean. I now have Salmon Faverolles and not a speck of trouble. The upside is, if the rooster ever became a problem, the breeds roosters are fine for the pot.. bred that way.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,391 Posts

Buff orphington is the best of docile chickens you can have
They are a beautiful gold color also. The bottom photo are the chicks at 8 weeks.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,063 Posts

Generally, Buff Orpingtons are gentle chickens, but as you can see from thyme2bprepped's post, that doesn't always hold true. I've seen aggressive roosters from just about every breed at one time or another. You never know on a particular rooster until he matures.

If you have more than one rooster in the flock, the dominant rooster is more likely to be aggressive, whatever the breed.
The Following User Says Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Older roosters tend to be more bold and territorial. When they get to an age they are aggressive, replace them with a young rooster.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,398 Times in 2,773 Posts

It is going to be as much about the individual animal as it is about breed. Pick a breed you like, get a few roosters, and weed out the aggressive ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Camperius maximus

Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeer View Post
Silkies, they are so dosile they can be picked up petted, and fe right out of your hand any time. If you want something really cute, go for the Frizzle Silkie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,753 Times in 5,613 Posts

Silkie roos are the sweetest little guys. I've also had good luck in the past with the Brahmas--Light Brahma and Buff Brahma. The Roos get pretty large but are very gentle.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,201 Times in 9,031 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

We have RIRs, Araucania, pearl whites, and Cochins.

The Cochins are by far the most docile.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

I'll second the advice for a Faverolle rooster (see my avatar to see what they look like). The one I have is a very good rooster. He doesn't act threatening at all to people, but will protect his girls. I also have a New Hampshire rooster (very similar to a Rhode Island Red) that follows me around like a puppy begging for treats. He lets me pick him up and carry him around without much fuss.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
A Round American Woman

My Delaware roosters have been "lovers, not fighters" and it's tough when they go up against fighters. ALL of my Black Astralorps met their ends due to their attitudes (except the one that the bear got).

Right now I have 6 roosters. They are iffy with each other, but none towards me or the family, so they live. I did go through the "Spring 48 hours of C*ck Fighting". Wow. I could have sold tickets. At one point I was sending the Heeler after one set while I chased the others with a broom. My front yard was a bloody battle mess. AND, the pecking order never did change, it's the same as when they started.

My greatest advise to a Noob Rooster Keeper is NEVER mix ages. EVER. If they are raised up together you will have enough issues, but bringing in a fresh young tough guy with even just an older rooster by 9 months to one year can be a nightmare. They will fight to the death.

One breed? Can't really say, I've had good RIR, and bad RIR. Good Barred Rocks and bad Barred Rocks. My Araucana is my Top Dog and he struts his stuff, he was battered this Spring, but he kicked a$$. He's handsome and very good to the ladies. All of my Delawares have been very good, no aggression at all, and even when fighting they give in easily. I really recommend Delawares all around.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRX8 View Post
I'll second the advice for a Faverolle rooster (see my avatar to see what they look like). The one I have is a very good rooster. He doesn't act threatening at all to people, but will protect his girls. I also have a New Hampshire rooster (very similar to a Rhode Island Red) that follows me around like a puppy begging for treats. He lets me pick him up and carry him around without much fuss.
I have the Salmons Titan and I think for me the biggest bonus apart from their excellent temperament was the ability to cook the roosters. I had the original French recipe somewhere, but can no longer find it. My flock tends to produce 3 to 1 more roosters than hens. The winter laying is a bonus too.

For the OP, I copied this from the Faverolle Fanciers of America site :

Economic Qualities: The Faverolles is essentially a business fowl. A French writer has said that "as farmyard fowls they stand unrivaled, their superiority being uncontestable, having large size, early maturity, excessive hardiness, are splendid sitters and mothers. No fowls are better adapted for could countries owing to their small combs not being liable to be frozen, and on account of their downy and warm feather clothing." The absence of a crest is an asset in a moist climate. The chickens are quick in growth, and are very fleshy. The Faverolles, whilst not equal to some of the other French races for winter fowls, are found most valuable for the Spring and Summer trade. As crosses they are excellent. In an experiment made at the College Poultry Farm, Theale, in 1904, the Faverolles--Buff Orpington cross made the most rapid growth out of sixty birds tested at the same time. Five cockerels of this cross attained an average weight of 2.9375 pounds, and the eight pullets an average weight of 2.3203 pounds, in twelve weeks. The hens are prolific layers, especially in winter, of medium-sized eggs, and are excellent sitters and mothers.

http://faverollesfanciers.webs.com/f...leshistory.htm
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Target Shooter

Delaware are known for their gentleness. Nice birds.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 AM
silenced

Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,520 Posts

i have a barred rock rooster and he is very aggressive, has attacked small kids and women.

i tell the kids to throw stuff at him to keep him away. that if he puffs up, you make yourself bigger, and if you backdown/turn away, he will think he is dominant
Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
My kingdom for a doughnut

Thanks for the advice guys.. i see where the Delawares are considered critically endangered. I'll scratch those off my list as I highly doubt I'll find one around here. But silkies I have seen.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:51 AM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketco View Post
I have the Salmons Titan and I think for me the biggest bonus apart from their excellent temperament was the ability to cook the roosters. I had the original French recipe somewhere, but can no longer find it. My flock tends to produce 3 to 1 more roosters than hens. The winter laying is a bonus too.
I only have one male and female in the Faverolles. Had the guy I bought them from talk me into them. I'm glad he did. I must say that my female is not a sitter like the info you provided says. She likes to lay her eggs where ever she happens to be standing. I have to be careful sometimes to keep from stepping on them. She has not gone broody on me so far. I've got 2 red-laced blue Wyandottes that have gone broody on me and a partridge Plymouth Rock that has too. Sad part is that I don't need any more chicks right now. That chicken math sometimes wins though. I have a lone baby chick in the garage right now. How I am going to get her in with the others is the question of the month. I just got lucky it was a hen. If it was a rooster Hubby would kick me out there in the coop with them. He doesn't like butchering them very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRX8 View Post
I only have one male and female in the Faverolles. Had the guy I bought them from talk me into them. I'm glad he did. I must say that my female is not a sitter like the info you provided says. She likes to lay her eggs where ever she happens to be standing. I have to be careful sometimes to keep from stepping on them. She has not gone broody on me so far. I've got 2 red-laced blue Wyandottes that have gone broody on me and a partridge Plymouth Rock that has too. Sad part is that I don't need any more chicks right now. That chicken math sometimes wins though. I have a lone baby chick in the garage right now. How I am going to get her in with the others is the question of the month. I just got lucky it was a hen. If it was a rooster Hubby would kick me out there in the coop with them. He doesn't like butchering them very much.
Yeah, The Favs like to be in a group together. They are so docile they are easily intimidated by others. My flock didn't go full steam until I had 4 hens plus the rooster. The guy I got them from lost a Fav rooster to a fox. The rooster took on the fox so the girls could get away. Yet around people they are charmers.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketco View Post
Yeah, The Favs like to be in a group together. They are so docile they are easily intimidated by others. My flock didn't go full steam until I had 4 hens plus the rooster. The guy I got them from lost a Fav rooster to a fox. The rooster took on the fox so the girls could get away. Yet around people they are charmers.
I forgot to mention that I have 2 baby mixed Faverolles. One was born on St. Patrick's day (she is half Faverolle and half Wyandotte) and the other one was just born on July 11th (she is half Faverolle and half Easter Egger). We'll see how those do with laying - hopefully in the nest boxes.

Skeer - I would check Craigslist to see if anyone is trying to re-home a rooster. Lots of people will give them away if they know that they are not going to be butchered. I have a guy down the street that was trying to give me his. He said they were very good roosters, but he had too many. He was trying to get more hens for his flock and ended up with more boys than girls. Be careful that you don't end up with someone else's problem rooster. Also, check for good health and mites too. You don't want to bring in a problem by not quarantining them for at least 3-4 weeks away from the others before introductions.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Thanked 1,229 Times in 431 Posts

I'm putting another vote in for the Salmon Faverolles. Mine were very docile and friendly even though I didn't raise them to be pets. They didn't savage the hens and never made a threatening move at me. Sadly, some jerk dumped off a game rooster at my place, and he killed them both before I could shoot his worthless tail.

My Faverolle hens were awful layers though. Maybe just a bad bloodline. They were from Privett.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prairie Dog For This Useful Post: