Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM

Default Built in/hidden gun cabinets.

Advertise Here

In accordance with local law, I normally keep my firearms in a cabinet so they're not easily accessed.

It occurred to me that it might be better if I hid the cabinet, and all the ammo I currently have; so in the event that my house is burglarized while I am not around, it would be unlikely that anyone would find my guns.

I know there's better ways to do this, but I'm on a budget and working with what I already had.

I started with an unassuming unfinished wall in the basement:

The wall is load bearing, 2x6 construction, so anything done to it will have to be solid. That's not a bad thing.

And on the other side:

There's a old/unfinished closet, eventually I will be finishing it into something more useful. For now it will work well for me, since it has a joggle in the area that I want to put my cabinets, so removing the joggle will hide the extra wall thickness.

As of the end of yesterday:

The cabinets are inexpensive stackon ones. I already had one, hence the slight difference between them. I picked up another one, since it would work out decently well to put two in the space I had. They're bolted from the inside into the framing around them.

And that's it for now... I'll update more when I get more done.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to End Times For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Sped Man

Thanked 2,362 Times in 756 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It is a very good start. Nicely done! There are so many options available that will give you coverage and access at the same time. Pick wisely. Chose one that will blend in with the environment. Because you chose the basement for mounting your cabinet pick something that is typically found in a basement (Utility panels, paneling, fake air vents, wall shelving etc).
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,136 Times in 461 Posts

Thats pretty good, but the key to it all will be how well you are able to camoflage it into the room. a wall covering of tongue and groove boards that are prefinished with the gun safe section back mounted on plywood and hinged with hidden hinges and magnetic catches should work pretty good.

I Built mine about 5 years ago and used raised panels like the rest of the room. The key part was to blend in the door edges and hinge seam. so what i did was at the latch side i made the rail or upright trim piece slide in a short 1/2 track. when it slides closed it covers and locks in place the edge of the raised panel edge of the door. When i slide it over to the right it uncovers the edge of the panel and i can stick the tip of my finger in the crack and pull the magnetic latch over and open it up.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Nice install. I'd like to see how you hide it. I worry about fire with those stack on cabinets. I'm not sure how much better guns would be if they were in a house fire while in a "fire proof" safe.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelldan View Post
Nice install. I'd like to see how you hide it. I worry about fire with those stack on cabinets. I'm not sure how much better guns would be if they were in a house fire while in a "fire proof" safe.
I doubt there would be any hope anyways. I think most real world testing of fire proof consumer-grade safes has found that they don't hold up worth anything, unless the fire was a near non-event. The whole house is built with well dried SPF, so if it ever goes it will go quick.

I plan to hide it with a pegboard and a small workbench... We'll see exactly how it works out, but I'll try to make it so it all hinges easily for quick, but not obvious, access.

I also plan to leave an access to the dead space above the cabinets, which should be useful as an additional place to store things in a non-obvious manner.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,425 Times in 644 Posts

Might wanna close up the electrical panel one day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
Might wanna close up the electrical panel one day.
It's open for this, I had to pull a wire back... I'm overly comfortable about working near bare wiring, which probably isn't a good thing.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Nice.. I'm looking forward to seeing more as this proceeds...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Spooky

Actually I've been eyeing up a dead space in one of the unfinished areas in the basement. Luckily the foundation isn't a simple rectangle so I could wall off one of the irregular parts and make the new wall would line up with an existing wall to fool the eye. I can access this one area through drywall in the finished part of the basement. A (movable) built-in bookcase would be just the thing to provide hidden access.

It'd be big enough for firearms, ammo and long term food storage. I doubt the wife would let me do it before re-doing the bathroom though.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

Dead space under stairs is your friend. Never guess what's stored horizontally in the 5 feet behind this....
Attached Thumbnails
armory.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM

That a nice idea but I would be worried that during a government confiscation they would be combing through your home with a fine-toothed comb and quickly discover them.
The Following User Says Thank You to millenniumfly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumfly View Post
That a nice idea but I would be worried that during a government confiscation they would be combing through your home with a fine-toothed comb and quickly discover them.
I think OP was more concerned with burglaries. Most burglars are scared and in a hurry to get out so they search fast for obvious goodies.

The truly paranoid can bury firearms/ammo caches away from the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
I think OP was more concerned with burglaries. Most burglars are scared and in a hurry to get out so they search fast for obvious goodies.

The truly paranoid can bury firearms/ammo caches away from the house.
Exactly. And this way they are still easily accessible to me. If I do it right, it should hold up to a thorough burglary as well, generally they don't start taking sledgehammers to walls in an effort to find things. Especially with a house like mine, I appear to be living somewhere just above the poverty line to the average observer.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

"Especially with a house like mine, I appear to be living somewhere just above the poverty line to the average observer."

Opsec we share...
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Sped Man

Thanked 2,362 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumfly View Post
Millenniumfly has a good point. Who know what the future holds. We all have to be prepared for it. We will need to all think outside the box for our own survival.

SpedMan quote: The time to prepare are when things are good not when things are falling apart!

Here are a couple of ideas:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sped Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Default fireproofing adding burn time

most firesafes use multiple layers of firecore sheetrock cut into nesting layers you can add to the insulation of the safes on the outside by adding several layers tightly mounted around them on the stairs side you can use fire caulk or setting type joint compound to bond them together it will also make them much harder to get to from the back where they are weak anyway with 3 or more layers you will have a definately not hollow sounding void if tapped

i will try to find my pictures but i actually built up ciderblock around my safes in the basement they are lagged to the floor as well then the door is 4 layers of sheetrock in a steel frame kinda heavy but i put 4 heavy duty hinges to let it move smoothly
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Very good idea, very well done.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,665 Times in 792 Posts

Might I suggest a "poorly Built" wooden cabinet that swings open?
The Following User Says Thank You to determu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM

How far I got as of tonight:

Sorry the picture kinda sucks...

It's mostly all framed up in the back. Some things got a little odd, and I had to use some simpson brackets. I also had to do some reinforcing of the floor above, so it wound up taking a lot longer than I had planned. My 'cabinets' above the gun cabinets are mostly there, I even threw 2 coats of paint on the parts that are done.

I was recycling a lot of material, so it's not as pretty as it could be

Tomorrow I'll hopefully put the 1/4" ply on the backside, that was there before, and tidy up the rest of the framing stuff for the closet itself. Then I'll do a little more painting, cut up some ply for the front, and paint that. I think I'll caulk the seams of the upper cabinets, to discourage insect activity.

There won't be any fire proofing going on... I need to get this together enough, that I don't really have to worry about it, by tomorrow. On Monday I have another project that is far more urgent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to End Times For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by determu View Post
Might I suggest a "poorly Built" wooden cabinet that swings open?
Not a bad idea. We'll see what I wind up doing