Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
wwor2002 wwor2002 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 55
Thanks: 18
Thanked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Default Homemade water filter using materials from Walmart and other giant retailers



Advertise Here

Hello All, I like to start a brainstorming thread on how one can use materials from Walmart, Kmart and other giant have-it-all retailer (you know, those huge retailers who sell everything under one roof - clothes, electronics, hardware, cosmetics, gardening supplies etc) to construct some home-made filters.

I don't really trust those water filter companies who produce and sell these water filters for a buck. Besides if SHTF for ten years or more, and you are rummaging in a post-apocalyptic city for materials, wouldn't you wanna learn how to construct a viable home-made water filter.

Now, I was told that sand, activated carbon/charcoal and clothes can be used to filter impurities from water. But what other materials can we use to filter water?

Remember, no cheating and posting links to water filtration companies like sawyer or berkey. I need to know how to construct water filters from everyday materials.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 AM
hrosh hrosh is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 134
Thanks: 167
Thanked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Default

I would be very interested to know this.

Although it's obviously a hierarchy of how pure/filtered you want it. You can have an extremely simple "water filtration" system by simply putting the water in a bottle for a few hours and letting the heavy dirt sink to the bottom. The next level up might be passing it through a fine clothed T-shirt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but boiling is one of the simplest and also most effective ways of making water potable?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Daisy Daisy is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 64
Posts: 1,759
Thanks: 4,164
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,183 Posts
Default

Great idea, OP, I too would be really interested. I suppose one of the things to do would be to find out what is actually IN a sawyer filter, maybe take one apart and emulate that.

I understand the sawyer zero point two also kills viruses, which most filters don't seem to do. Is that because it is such a fine filter?


also boiling will kill bacteria, but won't take out poisons like lead and arsenic.

So the idea would be to create something that will filter all these things out.

I was thinking about this myself, about filtering through sand first, and then boiling. Then I thought you'd have to replace the sand at some point because it just might get too much toxic particles.

I've also heard that silver gets used in some filters?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 AM
stephpd's Avatar
stephpd stephpd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Age: 56
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 7,520
Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,322 Posts
Default

I've said this before and I'll say it again. You can not meet 1st world water quality standards with sand and charcoal alone.

I know, I work in a water filtration plant and our filters quickly start passing far to much if we loose our coagulant. Without that and the subsequent flocculation and sedimentation steps rapid sand filters fail. You just can't bypass or delete these steps and expect to get quality water.

The alternative, slow sand filters are even more particular and finicky. They need a steady slow feed of fairly clear water. And there can't be any interruptions in flow or drastic changes in turbidity, pH or temperature. The Schmutzdecke in the top layer can be killed by any of these changes.

And though the folks that sell biosand filters would like you to believe that you can shortcut the laws of physics. In that they would like you to believe that you can get quality water out of a very small slow sand filter.

There's a reason they aren't used in this country and it has to do with not making even clear water. It may or may not kill bacteria and viruses. But without an extensive lab you have no way of knowing.

Best bet would be to stock up on a lifetime of filters before TSHTF. Ceramic filters are readily available, clean the water sufficiently and aren't very expensive. There downside is they have a limited use of only a few thousand gallons.

Abetter bet would be to purchase a few membrane filters. They cost a bit more but can filter far more water and to a lower turbidity. Sawyer makes several moidels to choose from. BUt thier basic filters break down to the .1 and .02 micron filters. They fit in the palm of your hand and can filter at least a million gallons if they don't get broken. And the .1 costs less then $50.

That one filter a couple buckets and a couple pounds of calcium hypochlorite would make water for you and your family for the rest of your life. And not cost more then $100 today.

Wait until after TSHTF and you're stuck trying to make 3rd world quality water with substandard materials and techniques.

Millions die in those countries every year because of contaminated water.

Your choice.
The Following 91 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
64duracraft, Adapter, aerbourne, Allamakee County, amazonbob.com, aussietanker, BadgeBunny, Balloon'sGoin'Up, Beaprepper2, Beatupoldcop, BigR, Bridgetdaddy, cavsgt, ChrisInGa, Daisy, Dark Ridge Rebel, Deviousfred, diana, el drewto, elgin, fuzzyguy, GaPatriot, George Newbill, Giedre, goose3, Grumpus Monkus, gsxrac, Heartlander, Highwater Filters, IdahoGard'ner, Idyllwoods, Indiana Camper, INresponse, Jamesconn, jodier7, katie crockett, keepingon, Kessler, kjohn1, KsPete, LarryM2, Lawyerman, lonewanderer, Lykwo, Maui Built, MikeK, mowgli, MTShawn, Nick York, Nvncibl, oddgunner, OKGlocker, outside the box, Piurivar, psk1, pur1138, Qualicum, Revelation, rigermortis, RJM, rpp, Savinkov, Scoutmaster316, shades, Sirherc, smartcookie, Sprocket830, Stay Ready, strvger, Sumatra, sw1911, TasKit, tecknomarc, themagicman, theplaguesaftermath, TiffyStar, Tokarev 40, treepotater, TSnyder5133, Turd Fergason, TVirusOutbreak, TxTowman, uncle fester 178, vera21375, VikingPrepper, wheezie, wootie, wvyen, X3MIST, zadru, Zulu Cowboy
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM
hrosh hrosh is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 134
Thanks: 167
Thanked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Default

For the dedicated survivalist it might be wise to try to "wean" yourself on to lesser quality water.

Could have benefits when visiting countries that have less clean water too, e.g. Mexico/India.

Of course you run the risk of catching something..
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Daisy Daisy is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 64
Posts: 1,759
Thanks: 4,164
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,183 Posts
Default

Stephpd, do you have the point zero two or the .1 sawyer?

I am on such a tight budget, I was hoping I would be able to manage on the .1 sawyer because it is almost half the price of the zero point two. It doesn't seem to address the viruses tho.

If I get the .1 and boil the water after, would that handle toxins and viruses?

Thanks for your really good info on water filtration!
The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM
libertyforall's Avatar
libertyforall libertyforall is offline
".....ya think?"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 831
Thanks: 362
Thanked 965 Times in 336 Posts
Default

One must not exclude wood-fired distillation as a means of achieving drinking-quality water either.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to libertyforall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 07:31 AM
stephpd's Avatar
stephpd stephpd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Age: 56
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 7,520
Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Stephpd, do you have the point zero two or the .1 sawyer?

I am on such a tight budget, I was hoping I would be able to manage on the .1 sawyer because it is almost half the price of the zero point two. It doesn't seem to address the viruses tho.

If I get the .1 and boil the water after, would that handle toxins and viruses?

Thanks for your really good info on water filtration!
I've got a couple of both the .1 and the .02. Plus several ceramic candles and at least a hundred pounds of sodium hypoclorite.(I have a pool so that gets used).

For this country the .1 is sufficient now. Post SHTF and you may need the .02 or has some way to disinfect like the chlorine I mentioned.

Boiling will kill bacteria and viruses but not much else.Lots of bad things can still be in boiled water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
One must not exclude wood-fired distillation as a means of achieving drinking-quality water either.
Very energy intensive and you have to vent off, or dump, the early portions and the end stuff to keep most everything out of the water. You really have to know what your doing and have the right test equipment to get it right.

It's also the most energy intensive way to make potable water.

I first started making water 35 years ago in the Navy. It was a two stage evaporator (distiller). And it not only took lots of fuel to make the steam used but also lots of electricity to run pumps to have a steady and rather limited supply. It was also the cleanest water I've ever made and we still disinfected the water with bromine. Chlorine being a bad thing around a steel ship and the subsequent corrosion.

And there were times when they just wouldn't make clean water, like when we got near land. Seems the water near land was too polluted to make distilled water. On occasion we'd pull into port and would draw a sample of the water provided at the pier and they'd not have any measurable levels of chlorine and we couldn't hook up. Then we'd have to anchor out to continue to make water and take fairies to shuttle folks back and forth.


Like I said the Sawyer .1 and a couple pounds of calcium Hypochlorite will make better water then we currently get out of the tap. There may still be small quantities of bad things, like dissolved solids that this won't remove. But probably not enough to make you ill or die from it. And did I mention this is fairly inexpensive. $100 for a lifetime supply of better then tap water is a bargain.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Daisy Daisy is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 64
Posts: 1,759
Thanks: 4,164
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,183 Posts
Default

Thanks Steph! Can you tell me where you ordered your filters from?
The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM
wwor2002 wwor2002 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 55
Thanks: 18
Thanked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. You can not meet 1st world water quality standards with sand and charcoal alone.

I know, I work in a water filtration plant and our filters quickly start passing far to much if we loose our coagulant. Without that and the subsequent flocculation and sedimentation steps rapid sand filters fail. You just can't bypass or delete these steps and expect to get quality water.

The alternative, slow sand filters are even more particular and finicky. They need a steady slow feed of fairly clear water. And there can't be any interruptions in flow or drastic changes in turbidity, pH or temperature. The Schmutzdecke in the top layer can be killed by any of these changes.

And though the folks that sell biosand filters would like you to believe that you can shortcut the laws of physics. In that they would like you to believe that you can get quality water out of a very small slow sand filter.

There's a reason they aren't used in this country and it has to do with not making even clear water. It may or may not kill bacteria and viruses. But without an extensive lab you have no way of knowing.

Best bet would be to stock up on a lifetime of filters before TSHTF. Ceramic filters are readily available, clean the water sufficiently and aren't very expensive. There downside is they have a limited use of only a few thousand gallons.

Abetter bet would be to purchase a few membrane filters. They cost a bit more but can filter far more water and to a lower turbidity. Sawyer makes several moidels to choose from. BUt thier basic filters break down to the .1 and .02 micron filters. They fit in the palm of your hand and can filter at least a million gallons if they don't get broken. And the .1 costs less then $50.

That one filter a couple buckets and a couple pounds of sodium hypochlorite would make water for you and your family for the rest of your life. And not cost more then $100 today.

Wait until after TSHTF and you're stuck trying to make 3rd world quality water with substandard materials and techniques.

Millions die in those countries every year because of contaminated water.

Your choice.
most of us are not millionaires who can afford to splurge hundreds of dollars on expensive water filters..

when SHTF, we will all be in 3rd world living conditions

no water filter last forever anyway so this is why i am starting this thread for everyone ..

even those who have spent thousands of dollars on water filters will find this thread useful for they will have a back-up water filtration system after their expensive water filters fall apart due to over-usage..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wwor2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM
stephpd's Avatar
stephpd stephpd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Age: 56
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 7,520
Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Thanks Steph! Can you tell me where you ordered your filters from?
One I picked up at Walmart. Came with the filter in a bottle. $36
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Inl...Bottle/8283710
Another I got from Moontrail.
http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=340
Another from REI
http://www.rei.com/search?search=water+filters+and+purifiers&jxBrand= Sawyer&hist=query%2Cwater+filters+and+purifiers^jx Brand%2CSawyer

There are a couple vendors on this board as well that carry them.
Highwater Filters carries them and is active in many of the water threads in this section.
http://www.highwaterfilters.com/
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM
stephpd's Avatar
stephpd stephpd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Age: 56
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 7,520
Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwor2002 View Post
most of us are not millionaires who can afford to splurge hundreds of dollars on expensive water filters..

when SHTF, we will all be in 3rd world living conditions

no water filter last forever anyway so this is why i am starting this thread for everyone ..

even those who have spent thousands of dollars on water filters will find this thread useful for they will have a back-up water filtration system after their expensive water filters fall apart due to over-usage..

Millionaire?

Water is the cheapest utility and most required.

I quoted a price for less then $100 for a life time supply of water. I'd bet everyone here spend more then that a year for internet service. Not once have I ever suggested folks even spend hundreds of dollars, like getting a Berkey. Let alone thousands.

Like the Fram oil man use to say 'You can pay me now or pay me later.'

Trying to make good potable water is very inexpensive now. Post SHTF and you'll be paying far more and making far worse quality of water.

But if you want to die a horrible and sickly death just make a sand and charcoal filter. But at least try it now and have the water tested. I'll bet money you can't even come close to what comes out of the tap using half hearted attempts with substandard equipment.

You'll probably get sick and die from it. What do I care?

Pour it through a sock or coffee filter (seen those mentioned in this forum and they don't work)

Same for your idea of just using sand and charcoal. I know that doesn't work because I have to shut down the filter plant when I loose the coagulant. I constantly monitor and test the water I make and I know this won't fly.

And in the last 3 days I've personally made over 30 million gallons of potable water far below the Federal standards. In the last 5 years I've made over 5 billion gallons of potable water. So I think I know what it takes to make water by pouring it through sand and charcoal.

At a minimum you'll need some way to make a floc in a drum. Decant the water from the middle portion and then use that water in a sand filter. But you'll still need to disinfect it too. That can be done by SODIS in small batches.

You'll also need a way to somehow backwash the filter on a regular basis. And waste the floc that settles too. As well as any scum that floats in the drum.

All said and done and you'll still be spending more then the $100 for the two things I recommend. Properly cared for the Sawyer can make at least 1 million gallons of water. Not forever, but well more then a family needs in a lifetime.

Lastly I seriously doubt you'll be able to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. This thread, like all the others I've seen on how to make water on the cheap, will just end up killing even more people. There are no shortcuts. You just can't make good potable water from scrapes and half thought out ideas. I've seen the sand and charcoal idea far to many times on this forum. It just doesn't make good water from bad. You'll lack the proper equipment to test and just have to chance it.

At least with my suggestion you know that you'll have better then current standards of water quality for as long as you live.

Can you say the same for what you're suggesting?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Daisy Daisy is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 64
Posts: 1,759
Thanks: 4,164
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,183 Posts
Default

I think I not gonna try to re-invent the wheel, but just save my money for a .02, and some sodium hypochlorite.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
stephpd's Avatar
stephpd stephpd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Age: 56
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 7,520
Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,322 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
I think I not gonna try to re-invent the wheel, but just save my money for a .02, and some sodium hypochlorite.
With the .02 you really don't need the hypochlotite. I still intend to use it but that's just me being overcautious with something so important.

With the hypo I also suggest a pool test kit. They're cheap (less then $10 ) and will insure that there's the right amount of chlorine in the water. You're looking for a residual level of .2 to 3 ppm. Add the chlorine to the filtered water, let it sit for at least 1/2 hour and then test.

The test kits are really easy to use, just 5 drops of each chemical and if it turns even just a little pink you're OK. Go over 5 ppm and you can get sick. But the kits only go up to 3ppm so if it's darker then the scale just add more water until it's in range.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Category5's Avatar
Category5 Category5 is offline
Finally home.
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Posts: 1,257
Thanks: 2,337
Thanked 2,886 Times in 751 Posts
Default

Of course, the OP was asking about how one would make a filter from commonly available products. Another hijacked thread. Oh well, one can always hope that we could stay on topic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Category5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM
goose3's Avatar
goose3 goose3 is offline
Capability, not scenarios
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,005
Thanks: 24,591
Thanked 25,086 Times in 7,563 Posts
Default

If money's tight, then instead of trying to jury-rig something you pick up in parts from Wal-Mart, look at the Monolithic filters.

They're inexpensive--under $30--and they're just excellent. All you need is a couple 5-gallon buckets and you have a poor-man's Berkey.

StephPD is right. He works in the water business, listen carefully to him.


http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-...g-water-filter

http://static.monolithic.com/pdfs/dr...FiltrSpecs.pdf --> Spec Sheet

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/wa...tration-system --> Assembly Instructions

http://shop.monolithic.com/pages/the...t-water-filter --> Ordering Page


I have three of these; anyone on a budget should, IMO, be using these. And don't bother buying them from CTD; get them directly from the source, above.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM
JoePrep's Avatar
JoePrep JoePrep is offline
Prepper in Training
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 206
Thanks: 142
Thanked 357 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
With the .02 you really don't need the hypochlotite. I still intend to use it but that's just me being overcautious with something so important.

With the hypo I also suggest a pool test kit. They're cheap (less then $10 ) and will insure that there's the right amount of chlorine in the water. You're looking for a residual level of .2 to 3 ppm. Add the chlorine to the filtered water, let it sit for at least 1/2 hour and then test.

The test kits are really easy to use, just 5 drops of each chemical and if it turns even just a little pink you're OK. Go over 5 ppm and you can get sick. But the kits only go up to 3ppm so if it's darker then the scale just add more water until it's in range.
WOW, great information Stephd... Thanks. This was next on my list.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoePrep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM
INresponse's Avatar
INresponse INresponse is offline
Beware of the dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern Nevada
Age: 46
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 1,999
Thanked 1,469 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
One I picked up at Walmart. Came with the filter in a bottle. $36
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Inl...Bottle/8283710
Another I got from Moontrail.
http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=340
Another from REI
http://www.rei.com/search?search=water+filters+and+purifiers&jxBrand= Sawyer&hist=query%2Cwater+filters+and+purifiers^jx Brand%2CSawyer

There are a couple vendors on this board as well that carry them.
Highwater Filters carries them and is active in many of the water threads in this section.
http://www.highwaterfilters.com/

Thank you for the very good information. I will be buying a 0.1 and a 0.02 in the near future.

I have researched and made notes on how to filter water in the wild. It includes a multi-layered filter system and gravity drips it into a container where you let it settle to allow solids to drop out of suspension, then you boil it. But you have to have decent water to begin with, oily, nasty, chemical contaminated water would be bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INresponse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Hill Top's Avatar
Hill Top Hill Top is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 187
Thanks: 144
Thanked 243 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Not wanting to hijack but it goes with the thread.....can anyone tell me how to treat well water that we call "gyp" water? it's heavily saturated with some mineral I guess. while you can filter it to ensure it's safe to drink it's pretty rank and will upset your digestion until you get used to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hill Top For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
chuckbyf's Avatar
chuckbyf chuckbyf is offline
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,017
Thanks: 594
Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/h...r-Filter.shtml


This uses materials you can find at Walmart or most big box stores. You can use pool filter sand for the fine sand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chuckbyf For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diy-group water filter from common materials, cheap sayter liften DIY - Do It Yourself 29 06-15-2010 09:38 PM
Homemade water filter Grove Urban Survival 8 11-11-2008 01:15 PM
Sawyer Water Filter sale at Walmart Marooned Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-17-2008 02:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net