Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
never tell me the odds

Default Pole barn plans

Advertise Here

I am looking for some help with finding some free pole barn plans. I would like to erect a roughly 26 x 32 barn with a loft to use as tractor storage and a small workshop. Ideally I'm looking to build one in the monitor barn style but I suppose I could adapt the plans to meet my needs.

After spending hours searching on google for free plans I haven't found anything except endless links leading to sites selling plans. The few "free" plans that are out there are overly vague.

I'm trying to play by the rules and actually get a permit from the town for the barn and they require a detailed building plan as well as $150 + 0.06 cents per square foot. I am not the permit pulling type and cant understand why they expect me to pay them for permission to build on my own land but that's a whole other argument for another thread. I need to keep the building inspector on my side for the next few years until I finish a planed addition the main home and then permits be damned.

So what I'm looking for is if anyone here has purchased of has a nice set of pole barn plans they could share with me. I know this is kind of a shot in the dark but worth a try.

Thanks

This is a picture of a larger version what I'm hoping to construct. We do all love to see pictures on this site.
The Following User Says Thank You to rule4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM

no idea what the expectations are where you live but when making some enquirers myself (in the UK) I was advised to try and produce the drawings myself for a simple structure, all dimensions and footing depths, as well as position on site,

most of this will help you plan your best use of materiel's and how it will fit in your location, the building inspectors I spoke with just wanted things to be done safely, but they did seem "old school" and said that they where all retired builders, and not health and safety types,

it may be simpler than you think, fingers crossed

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to dch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Scribd has a few books on pole buildings, i think they would have what need in them, i downloaded but never looked at the much
The Following User Says Thank You to wasabi-kun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 PM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 2,409 Times in 965 Posts

Try this website from the University of Tennessee extension. There is a whole list of different building plans for free everything from beehives to shelters and barns all in pdf format. When you click on the link scroll up to see the list or scroll down to see the plans
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/...m#Introduction

or this is what you might be looking for
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/...lans/T4161.pdf
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,307 Times in 3,899 Posts

AG Dept at the University of North Dakota has a great download section as well ....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Watch your local building codes as well. I am not sure where you are.

In my County I cannot park any type of motor vehicle (tractors included) in my pole barn if it has a dirt floor, which my does.

I never planned to park anything in my barn, it is for my horses, however, I thought that regulation was BS. Of course, most regulations for private land owners are anyway.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 PM
3 more years of this?

Here is my recent garage that I built for 7k
24x24x10
Attached Thumbnails
2012-07-08_16-24-01_211.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxak47 View Post
Here is my recent garage that I built for 7k
24x24x10
Including foundation work ?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM

A loft for tractor storage sounds odd.
Dimensions divisible by 4 and 8 are a better idea.
The loft as shown rules out trusses or make them expensive. It would be a pita to build with the loft shown. There's gonna be poles that make the loft walls that limit the open area below as to unencumbered open space.
What's the purpose of the loft? Why not just make a larger building and not have to climb stairs?
How big is your tractor?
Overhead door?
Contact a contractor and your problems will be solved, at a price.
If you entend to build it yourself and can't design your own plans you are doomed because you don't understand what's envolved in the building process. Yeah, it's what I do.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Here is a site full of building plans from North Dakota state university. Similar to the one from TN posted above with many different plans to choose from.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
3 more years of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth9669 View Post
Including foundation work ?
Foundation-$2000
Lumber-$1570
Metal-$1630
Soffit-$856
Labor-$1200
Total-$7256

I still have to wire it and put garage doors on which should be another $1200.

Im happy with it and its nice to have a flat dry place to work on things at night after work. I took a 401k loan out for $6500 and will payoff it in 3 yrs with interest back to myself. Better than the "local" builder who wanted over 20k for the same building. My dad, his friend (carpenter 30 yrs exp) and me put this up in about 10 days
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,085 Posts

Design your own or pay for them.
The designer has a right to his money for your using his design.

Would you steal from a store?
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Design your own or pay for them.
The designer has a right to his money for your using his design.

Would you steal from a store?
lots of free plans out there.. and lots of people willing to share plans for things such as pole barns.. no need to be a jerk about it. (this is in the DIY section, many companies design solar systems, yet tons of solar questions are asked in this forum, nobody tells them to "go get your setup from samsung")
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLan View Post
lots of free plans out there.. and lots of people willing to share plans for things such as pole barns.. no need to be a jerk about it. (this is in the DIY section, many companies design solar systems, yet tons of solar questions are asked in this forum, nobody tells them to "go get your setup from samsung")
ehh the OP did ask if "anyone here has purchased.." and if purchased then the original designer has the rights and should be compensated. Detailed drawing and plans of this nature are almost always sold for the 'purchasers use only' and not to be given out to others for their use. The designer retains the Rights to the drawings. Calling Uncle Bob a jerk for stating the truth is uncalled for.

Also to the OP.. Many towns/cities charge a fee based on sq/ft of any construction over a certain size including sheds, decks, driveways, etc. Its not something your town is doing to rip you off but is a common practice. I'd guess more then less charge this type of fee these days. Something to think about as well.. If you don't 'play by the rules' and the inspector or township finds out later you can be ordered to tear the entire building down. Its best to play the game regardless of how we all feel about it.

Google does provide lots of plans. Maybe not detailed enough or the design you want but they are there. If your serious about a building of this size and design you NEED a set of drawings. You'll need them for permits, contractors, material lists, etc. From what I remember seeing online last year complete 4-bay garage plans with above loft (32x48) could be purchased for about 500.00. You could also buy easy to use design software that will allow you to create your own drawings with enough detail for the permits and contractors. Use the online basic plans, your own ideas and some software to produce your own set based on your needs.

Grit your teeth and take it like the rest of us. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the good ideas. I plan to build my own and this info helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM

Default Free Plans

There are not that many quality free plans out there. I started designing garages but it does take alot of time and even though I currently offer free PDF downloads I probably can't forever since 90% of the visitors to my site simply download the PDF copies and never actually purchase the paper prints.

I haven't tried to design any pole barns yet but I would like to do some of those and some barns in the near future. The picture of the monitor style barn is pretty cool I have to admit.

My latest design is more a conventional garage with an attic on top:

If anyone does find some good free pole barn designs I would be interested in them simply for study purposes.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeek View Post
There are not that many quality free plans out there. I started designing garages but it does take alot of time and even though I currently offer free PDF downloads I probably can't forever since 90% of the visitors to my site simply download the PDF copies and never actually purchase the paper prints.

I haven't tried to design any pole barns yet but I would like to do some of those and some barns in the near future. The picture of the monitor style barn is pretty cool I have to admit.

My latest design is more a conventional garage with an attic on top:

If anyone does find some good free pole barn designs I would be interested in them simply for study purposes.
I really like this as a base design. What I'm currently planning is close however I want 3 bays on the side for a display / storage area for our finished cars. One bay door back where the walk in door is located for access into a working area that's separate from the display area. Instead of the single windows upstairs push out the entire length for a low ceiling 2nd floor with the added room. Doesn't add much extra cost for a ton of extra space.. Man cave

What's your site?

Edit: got it
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 PM

A start may be to contact your local building department. They may have a handout on the design basics. They are very simple structures and the plans are not hard to draw yourself. If you can get your basic plan put together you just need to find a local structural engineer to look it over and give it a blessing.

Here is a link to the handout from a building dept I have worked with in the past.
http://www.co.weld.co.us/assets/c59A...66C3B52438.pdf
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I love this forum

http://www.todaysplans.net/use-mwpso...arm-plans.html
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Default Site

Here is a brick version of the 3 car plan above: