Survivalist Forum banner

SKS wood stock modification to accept removeable aftermarket magazines. (Pictures)

24K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  drobs 
#1 ·
Now that I have finished my SKS bolt mod, I need to widen out the body of the wooden SKS stock a little to make insertion of the new mag easy.
If you do not do this modification and your magazine is a very tight fit,chances are your gun will jam,however with this mod and the Tapco 20rd magazines you are just as reliable as an unaltered SKS configuration.
If the Tapco T6 stock is used instead of the original stock, that is the best combination of modern convience and reliability for the SKS. The SKS Tapco 20rd mag pictured below is what Magpuls are to the AR-15 world on reliability.
I took these pictures in High Def, and uploaded them that way I hope they are clear and come thru that way.

ETA: Be sure to follow the rules on 922r compliance on 10 or less imported parts.

Here is the Tapco magazine that will not fit in the wood stock, If I force it in the magazine will cause the gun to jam because it now pinches the follower and binds up.

Here's how it looks before we sand out the mag well. Notice the heavy tool marks when it was made by the Chinese, Looks were not as important to them as production.

Here I am just starting to smooth things out.
Remember to remove alittle and test fit the magazine, it should slide in without any force.

Be sure to get the front also a little where the duckbill part of the mag slides in. Remember to remove alittle and test fit the magazine.

Here is the other side getting smoothed out.
Remember to remove alittle and test fit the magazine.

Here I am getting the other side of the magwell where the duckbill part of the mag rest. Remember to remove alittle and test fit the magazine.

Here is the finished magwell sanded out. It looks better now than when it was unaltered.

One last test fit, before I assemble the gun.

A test fit in the gun while out of the stock to ensure all is well there.

And here it is assembled and the mag in it and ready to fire.

ETA:
I fired about 100 rounds thru it without a hiccup, it functions flawless it seems, So far this mod has been very beneficial for use of removeable mags for the SKS.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good job. I went with a SKS Ramline Synthetic Stock for mine about 12 years ago lucked up didn't need modifying for the 30 rd mags.

#4 ·
Nice work. I had a Tapco stock on my Yugo SKS, i was using Tapco mags and learned first hand not to leave the gun stored with a Tapco mag still in it for any length of time.
The feed lips on the mag sprung some, first round would feed but the second would not, the tip of the bullet was hitting below the chamber.

#5 ·
What in hell done to poor rifle? Stupid hick american with ten gallon hat and giant pickup truck look at perfectly fine Simonov Karbin and say "No, rifle need more dumb crap". Look at cheap plastic magazine that feed cartridge like constantly jamming pez candy box! I hear of 922 law in america. Adding magazine mean you change other parts of systema. What else you mess with? You put in new bolt ediface? How about bad receiver cover for cheap scope of chinese slave to show off at hick party and never hit largest side of barn?

Sure is only copy type but still proud design of Sergei Siminov. This like sending him birthday card with severed thumb of daughter in envelope. Happy birthday Sergei I **** on all you create. Mound forms over Sergei grave by constant tumbling of his angry corpse. Is fault of people like you.

Rifle fine before you screw with it. Now is trash. Maybe you check in trash and original magazine still in there. Maybe is not too late to keep rifle from something shameful to take to firing range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.