Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Default Sams Club vs. Aldi

Advertise Here

Ok this thought just came into my head. Would it be good idea for me to join Sams Club to get my preps at or would just shopping at Aldi and other stores for sale items be the best bet? Iv never been real fond of Sams Club but if I can get better prices there then it would be worth the hassle of going to one. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM

I've belonged to Sam's Club for several years. I only buy a few things there. Aldi just opened up nearby and I've made 1 trip and plan lots more. My call is shop around and save the Sam's membership fee for something else. FYI you can always get a shopping pass at Sam's and get what you need without joining.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marawes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,610 Times in 7,433 Posts

We have a Sam's membership and also shop at Aldi. They overlap, but not completely.

For everyday staples, Aldi is probably best.

For things in greater bulk, Sam's is better. The best SPAM price I could ever get was at Sam's. They have bulk rice, bulk popcorn (50# bag), bulk spices. You have to know your prices but there are many things at Sam's that are the best in price.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,202 Times in 476 Posts

Sam's is okay, but you have to make back the membership cost otherwise it isn't worth it. You also have to stick to your list because they have lots of wonderful things that magically jump into your cart that you really didn't need.

It seems to me that Sam's has a promotion from time to time -- like $15 for 15 weeks -- or something like that. If you could group your purchases during a time frame such as that you would save some cash over the $40 membership if you don't plan to shop there regularly.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Thank you very much

Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marawes View Post
I've belonged to Sam's Club for several years. I only buy a few things there. Aldi just opened up nearby and I've made 1 trip and plan lots more. My call is shop around and save the Sam's membership fee for something else. FYI you can always get a shopping pass at Sam's and get what you need without joining.
Really! How do you do that? Is it easy to do?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBP View Post
...You also have to stick to your list because they have lots of wonderful things that magically jump into your cart that you really didn't need.
I'm not the only one that happens to????
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,421 Times in 766 Posts

Maybe I wasn't buying enough but I figured out that the savings didn't pay for the membership.
Can get the brand bulk cases of vegetables at giant eagle for close to the same price, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the remarks. I know that I dont like to shop at Sams Club. Its to big for me. I think for now I will stick with my smaller stores. Maybe will try to get one of those free passes for a day to do some shopping sometime.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,522 Posts

I used to belong to Sams. But seemed to part with at least 300 bucks EVERY trip. Now my local Sams has about 1/2 the stock they used to carry, not worth the membership fee any more. Our BJs is actually much better and they give out free trial memberships several times a year. In fact I have shopped there over 10 years and NEVER paid for a membership.

Our Aldis is good too. However somewhat limited as to what they carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,148 Posts

I have both Sam's and Costco memberships.

I think both offer a money back guarantee on the memberships, but I would check to be sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
RIP Dad

Thanked 1,299 Times in 616 Posts

I shop at both Aldi and Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. One thing I have noticed is the stamped expiration date on the canned goods. At least in my experience the date on Aldi canned goods is usually around a year from your purchase date while Wal-Mart is usually around 2 years. Like I said this is true for my local stores. As I've never shopped at other Aldi or Sam's I don't know if that holds true elsewhere. Just an interesting observation I wanted to share.
The Following User Says Thank You to bacash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
We have a Sam's membership and also shop at Aldi. They overlap, but not completely.

For everyday staples, Aldi is probably best.

For things in greater bulk, Sam's is better. The best SPAM price I could ever get was at Sam's. They have bulk rice, bulk popcorn (50# bag), bulk spices. You have to know your prices but there are many things at Sam's that are the best in price.
Yup. Thats what we do. We hit Aldis for dry goods and canned goods. Then Sams for frozen stuff and meat and coffee and some other things. Incidentals we pick up at WM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Prepared

I've got cans from my aldi's that are for 2 years off, the canned chicken is like 3 years I think. Aldis for a lot, elsewhere for the special stuff. I shop at walmart and aldis on a regular basis, the key is to know which is cheaper for what. Walmart milk 3.49, Aldis 2.89. for example
The Following User Says Thank You to rwjedi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,415 Times in 31,259 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacash View Post
I shop at both Aldi and Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. One thing I have noticed is the stamped expiration date on the canned goods. At least in my experience the date on Aldi canned goods is usually around a year from your purchase date while Wal-Mart is usually around 2 years. Like I said this is true for my local stores. As I've never shopped at other Aldi or Sam's I don't know if that holds true elsewhere. Just an interesting observation I wanted to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjedi View Post
I've got cans from my aldi's that are for 2 years off, the canned chicken is like 3 years I think.
Those dates are meaningless anyway. They're not an expiration date. They're a "best by" date picked arbitrarily by the cannery. Canned foods last pretty much indefinately as long as the can remains safely sealed. Since the food inside is sterile, it can't actually rot or spoil unless the can is damaged and allows bacteria inside. The taste and texture can go downhill over the years, but the food is safe to eat.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,142 Posts

I have a Sam's Club membership because I'm one of the officers in a non-profit organization, and I was selected to be the guy who goes to Sam's and gets the stuff they need. But otherwise, I wouldn't pay for one.

There's a few things I like - the bulk rice, the bulk salt, and a few others. Their canned food is generally the same price (or more expensive) as buying the same canned food at Wal-mart. Sam's Club just gets them in slightly different sizes so that it makes it difficult to compare (i.e. they might sell a 12 oz can of something at Wal-mart, and at Sam's they sell a 12 pack of 16 oz cans). But when you do the math, rarely are you saving money.

If you're going to get canned food and you want it on the cheap - then ALDI is for you. I've never had a problem taking lots of it, too. I've put several cases of canned foods in my cart, and the checkout lady doesn't even say anything. Their prices are cheaper than Sam's. Of course, they may not have quite the selection that Sam's does, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Really! How do you do that? Is it easy to do?
Go to the service desk and ask for a day pass to check it out. Has worked for me at Costco and BJ's.
The Following User Says Thank You to marawes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 AM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 17,333 Times in 7,198 Posts

i have costco for bulk stuff... shop at a local aldi on most weekends for food during the week
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,142 Posts

We use Sam's, Walmart, and the grocery store for purchases for our business. We don't have an Aldi's near here.
Sometimes what we need is available in one store and not the other. Larger quanity doesn't mean cheaper/unit. We often buy lots of small quanities instead of a large bag.
Sam's is much cheaper on some items, not on others. Sam's usually only carries the name brand. Walmart and the grocery store carry the house brand.

It pays to shop around.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 14,583 Times in 1,350 Posts

Hit Aldi's, price out items, then check sams club online and see if its going to be better to purchase certain products there or not. I have both, but more frequently use aldi's.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Hiker

Anyone try Gordon Food Service?

GFS has a lot of dry goods at better prices if you buy bulk like Rice and flour in 50# bags. They also have large cans of soup, sauces and meat.

But even here you have to watch the prices. Some things are beat out by sales in normal grocery stores. Now that I am trying to loose weight, I don't buy a lot of their stuff anymore.

Also, if you have a bulk food store around, it can save. I once bought a 25# of Barley at the stores cost because he had ordered to much.