Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,518 Posts
Default Why use canning salt?

Advertise Here

What's the difference between canning salt and regular salt? Why can't I use regular salt when canning? They look like the same thing.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,424 Posts

Regular salt is iodized and canning salt is not.
Regular salt will turn vegetables dark and make the liquid cloudy.
You can still eat stuff canned with regular salt, it just won't look very appetizing.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,896 Times in 734 Posts

^ This. Presentation is everything ;-)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 456 Posts

Hey, come on, do you think only women know anything about canning or canning salt? How sexist! I've home-cured a very nice corned beef. My wife would never do that, or pressure can chicken soup.

BTW, anyone want my Pomogranate jam recipe? Came up with that one myself for all the pomogranates the tree I planted is producing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
...BTW, anyone want my Pomogranate jam recipe? ...
Oh, please yes! We have pomegranates here in California also.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Target Shooter

Regular salt has anti-caking agents like calcium or aluminum silicates. These are not very water soluble and may add cloudiness to your gorgeous jars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynxx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,518 Posts

Can canning salt be used like regular salt? Not for canning but for everyday use?
The Following User Says Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxx View Post
Oh, please yes! We have pomegranates here in California also.
Press the juice out of 5-6 pomegranates to get 4 cups of juice. Put that into a 4 quart pot and start heating. Add one packet containing 1.75 oz of pectin. Heat to boiling.

Then add 5 cups of regular granulated sugar, stirring till dissolved. Add a pat of regular butter to the heating jam (controls foam). Bring to a full frothy boil. Turn down the heat and check for gelling. Drip a spoonful of the hot jelly onto an ice-cold saucer to quickly cool. If the jelly has not yet set, bring it back to a full frothy boil again. Continue alternating between boiling and testing on a cold saucer till the jelly sets.

This usually takes 2-3 rounds of boiling. Once the jelly starts to set, turn off the heat and quickly ladle into previously boiled and dried half-pint jars. Wipe clean, screw down the lids, and boil submerged for 10 minutes. Remove from boiling water and allow to cool. Check seals to make sure they're depressed.

Enjoy!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

Canning salt is just pure salt. If your salt is free flowing, doesn't cake, it has additives which make pickles go soft, among other things. You can use canning, kosher, or sea salt just like regular salt, the taste may differ a bit. I've found SOME "kosher" labeled salt has free flowing additives. Don't use "table" salt for canning, you'll regret it...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 AM

How sexist! I've home-cured a very nice corned beef. My wife would never do that, or pressure can chicken soup.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 25,576 Times in 10,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
Can canning salt be used like regular salt? Not for canning but for everyday use?
Yes.

If you usually use iodised salt you are fine to change now and again. Also if you live near the coast and eat home grown veges you should be fine. Salt was iodised because salt was a convenient vehicle for iodine.

If you don't get enough iodine in your diet you can suffer from goitre, a swelling in your thyroid gland (not sure what this does) or iodine deficiency which can cause mental retardation. The middle of continents are more likely to be lacking in iodine than near the sea, and if there is no iodine in the soil plants don't take it up and transfer it to you when you eat them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,571 Posts

we use canning salt and kosher salt for both eating and canning. when my son was little, he had an underactive thyroid and I got him kelp chips to munch on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Yes.

If you usually use iodised salt you are fine to change now and again. Also if you live near the coast and eat home grown veges you should be fine. Salt was iodised because salt was a convenient vehicle for iodine.

If you don't get enough iodine in your diet you can suffer from goitre, a swelling in your thyroid gland (not sure what this does) or iodine deficiency which can cause mental retardation. The middle of continents are more likely to be lacking in iodine than near the sea, and if there is no iodine in the soil plants don't take it up and transfer it to you when you eat them.
thyroid imbalance can cause lower leg swelling, heart timing problems and sensitivity to temp extremes - also 'tiredness' feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin 45 carbine For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM

I have iodine and thyroid issues.
Leg cramps, always tired, and extreme sensitivity to changing temps. As well as severe drying skin on my legs, brittle hair, and a couple of other issues.
I still do not eat a lot of salt, but I am getting better.
They also now have me on Synthroid, which has made a major difference for me personally.
Take care,
Margauruitte
The Following User Says Thank You to Margauruitte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
I just read an article on salt yesterday cause I want to make saurkraut and it called for pickling salt. Well pickling salt and kosher salt do not contain the iodine reg salt does. Also said kosher salt is not as salty so if substituting for reg salt use more. If recipe calls for kosher salt use less reg salt. Just google kosher salt for info. just remember we need iodine so be careful with salts that do not contain it.

Last edited by bunny; 09-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: add
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,126 Posts

So many topics for women here. I want to share a hint for you gals. I found out from wall washer that they use oven cleaner to clean walls in smokers homes. I have since become an advocate of oven cleaner. I use it to clean baked on grease on stove . Use it to clean wall behind stove that gets splattered when frying for deep frying. Now remember these are not walls paintd with flat paint. Had some white TV trays from company giving as hostess gift years ao. They are slightly rough finish on top. Got so stained was going to throw away but being thrifty could not do it. I sprayed each table with oven cleaner and let set and scrubbed with brush and low and behold like new. Just remember its strong stuff use mask or lot of ventilation. I buy a 6 pack when at the dollar store lol I comtinue to use and never disappointed yet. Also make sure to wipe with clean wet cloth when done. For really bad jobs may have to do couple times
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM

I didn't use oven cleaner on nicotine.

1 32 oz. squirt bottle.
1/2 c. rubbing alcohol
1/8 c. sudsy ammonia (last time I didn't use sudsy.)
A few drops dishwashing liquid (or 1 tsp. automatic dishwashing liquid.)
Water to fill.

Work from the bottom of the wall up. Easier to clean up the streaks.

btw...I use this on my counters, stovetop, refrigerator exterior, bathroom, etc. Darn good all-purpose cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to OverYonder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Prepared

I have never done any canning but as a small child I would watch my mother can lots of stuff. I was always told that canning salt was different from regular salt. If I am correct here, canning salt weighs heavier than regular salt. So if you were to use regular salt you would have to use 1/2 times more of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post: