Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Prepared

Default 12 Gauge Ammo Stockpile

Advertise Here

I'm looking for suggestions on a mix of 12 Gauge Ammo to stockpile. My goal is 500 rounds.

Currently here is what I have:

100 Rounds of #7
50 Rounds of #00
10 Rounds of Slugs
10 Rounds of Sabot
and 15 Rounds of 3" Magnum #00

What's the best mix to carry for self defense and hunting both?
HK
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,074 Times in 522 Posts

I'm primarily stocking 00 Buck, Slugs (non Sabot, no rifled barrels) #2, #4 and #7 birdshot. My goal is 1000 rounds of each..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DaveinCT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,753 Posts

#7 shot is too small. #6 is just enough for turkey, rabbit, and squirrel. Go to a bigger sporting goods store. those affordable 6-7 dollar a box of 25 shells are available in #6 shot.

if you have a rifle, i would pass on the slugs.

Buy 400 birdshot and 100 buckshot. For defensive purposes, #1 or #4 buck is fine, in fact studies show it's better. More pellets mean more wound frontal area. more holes to bleed out. Not all will exit, but most will produce an exit hole.

magnum buckshot is not needed. in fact most buckshot is less recoil than birdshot due to reduced lead shot weight with the buckshot.

If your going to use slugs, you need a sighting system. They make clip on rifle sight for vented rib barrels.

Another tip, for 12 gauge you can pretty much do any task decently with a modified choke.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 PM
The Iconoclast

I wouldn't stock up much on small birdshot. You can use a 22 for birds, or even an air rifle for small game. 22 and air-rifle ammo is CHEAP. So.... I'd stock up solely on 00 buck and slugs if you have a 22 or air-gun. Nix getting more slugs if you have a 30 cal rifle, except keep what you already have as a backup.

If I ONLY had a 12 gauge, and I could only stockpile 550 shells I'd do this:

200 - 7 1/2 Multipurpose load
200 - #4 Bird
100 - 00 buckshot
50 - Brenneke Slugs

The 00 buckshot is for 2 legged creatures. The slugs are for deer and 2 legged criters. Why so little for deer? There gonna be gone QUICK.

P.S. You can use #4 buckshot instead of 00 for most purposes. However 00 is more my style, and I feel it'd be better for actual deer if the slugs run out.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,007 Posts

And for small game would should include a couple hundred rounds of 6-8 shot, which can be bought in hundred round boxes at Walmart for 20 bucks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I Sleep with my Boots ON!

Thanked 1,074 Times in 522 Posts

All my shells are 2 3/4", no 3" for me, the 2 3/4'rs do fine by me.

I stock pile my oo buck, slugs and birdshot at wally world. I do have a couple hundred rounds of #8...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveinCT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,317 Times in 3,901 Posts

your requested list depends greatly on your location .... what is available to hunt and the type of harmful critters, besides the two legged creatures, you need defense from ....

you also need to have an understanding how barrel length and choke effect your shot pattern and it's effectiveness
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Prepared

Thanks for all the advice all. This pretty much confirms what I need to buy.
Stockpiling ammo is getting super expensive if you have multiple firearms. I have an overall 10,000 round goal I'm trying to meet before moving on to backup power and water purification systems, medical supplies and of course learning how to grow food.

90% sure Uncle Sam is coming after either our guns or our ammo pretty soon so I've opted for ammo first.
HK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

get a lee load all 2 and then hit the gun clubs for hulls. then start reloading your own for cheap. the load all 2 is less then 60 bucks. buying the lead is the most expensive part but can save you a ton of money when talking about the larger shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Trapper

My recommendations:

250 rounds of lead 7 1/2 shot for birds and small game (also great for practicing your shotgun skills pre-shtf).

250 rounds of lead 4 or steel 2 for large birds like ducks, geese and turkeys.

175 rounds of 00 buck for short range personal defense

100+ rounds of 2 3/4" slugs (great heavy close range stopper and backup big game gun)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM

Get what you think you'll need to hunt with and whatnot, but for the 00 Buck check out ammoman.com. Buy the really GOOD stuff in case quantity for less per shell than Wal Mart sells the crappy stuff for. Get some friends in on it if you need to split the case up. Don't know that I'd spend time/money on 3-inch or 3 1/2-inch ammo unless it fills specific hunting requirements - not the stuff I'd use for defense. Also would not spend a lot on a big pile-o-slugs if a rifle is available. Get a few, know how/where they shoot and keep a few on hand, but wouldn't put a lot of effort into them. Premium 00 Buck and whatever hunting ammo is needed is all.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Target Shooter

Stock up on 00 buck its the most common.
Slugs if you don't have a rifle
Bird shot 4 5 or 6 good for all type of small game and bird hunting or makeing wax slugs!

Also look into a lee mold 31 or 36 caliber to make buck shot, .69 cal round ball or slug molds too. You can turn cheap birdshot loads into what ever you want for cheap by just replaceing the shot with any of the above. Or add wax to bind the shot together to make wax birdshot slugs.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 25,152 Times in 7,069 Posts

Buck - 2 to 3 hundred
Slugs - 2 to 3 hundred
Birdshot - 3-4 hundred (they are cheap)

...its what I stock

I should also add that shotguns are my support long arms- not primary long arms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM

I find chokes are good for bird hunting with #6 or smaller and not much good for anything else. I buy #8 rounds at Walley World for under $25 per 100 and they are Federals. For home defense, #8 will take out bad guys and those that don't you will only see aholes and elbows anyway, neither are lethal targets. If you have some time on your hands make a few cut shells, but do not magazine load them for safety. Cut between the "E" and the "D" on the shells just mentioned and you get a "slug" coming out of the barrel. Not to be used on guns with chokes.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Keep in mind that a shot gun is basically just a smooth bore rifle. I buy shot shells at Wal-Mart for between 22 & 25 cents apiece. I don't see how you can make your own for less than that. I usually also pick up a 550 round box of 22's for about $25. Some shot shells I modify into wax/shot shells. Some I set up for cut shell shooting, and some I just dump the shot and experiment with different things to load. You can get all kinds of things in the fishing section to load and play with. Just don't modify or play with the powder charge and keep the load about the same weight as the pellets that were there before. And keep the shot cup. It protects the barrel.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:59 PM

I would say a mix of various buckshot and slugs.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Since upland game birds use 7 and a half......Turkey is good for number 4....Squirrel and rabbit number 6....I'd stock at least 400 rounds of each.....Or since if the SHTF and you dont know what your hunting for.....I'd stock 500 to 800 rounds of # 4....Will take care of almost every game animal and your wasting time reloading for what you see at the time LOL!

I plan on having 2500 rounds of #4 and 1000 rounds of 00 buckshot.

My second shotgun has a slug barrel and scope so at least 800 rounds of assorted slugs is in order....Deer....Wild boar...Bear and the idiot down the road that didnt prep.....whatever!

BTW at 200 yards most people can hit a human sized target with a 12 gauge slug with a smooth bore barrel ...with a rifled shotgun barrel and scope you can give someone the worst day of their life at 300 yards!
The Following User Says Thank You to SSGT PRIDE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I find chokes are good for bird hunting with #6 or smaller and not much good for anything else. I buy #8 rounds at Walley World for under $25 per 100 and they are Federals. For home defense, #8 will take out bad guys and those that don't you will only see aholes and elbows anyway, neither are lethal targets.

Never...I repeat NEVER use bird shot for self defense or home defense.Your about to PI-SS someone off if you get the right feller!!!

At the age of 12 I moved into a HOLLOW with my family or as we know it as a "HOLLER" and my father and I with our shovels and a neighbor/buddy that had borrowed a road grader from a mining company were working on the road after the county had given us some gravel.

The guy in the road grader was spreading what the county trucks had dumped when one idiot from down south came up and wanted by....Since he couldnt get by and for some reason they knew each other in a bad way a fight started. The guy from the road grader was shot in the shoulder right under the collar bone / Upper right chest and twice in side of the head at 14 feet with a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge loaded with #6 squirrel shot. High brass Remington shells...none of this cheap short brass skeet and trap trash on sale at Wally World.

After which our buddy REALLY got PO'D and as the idiot was getting back into his car to run...our buddy pulled out a 38 and proceded to fill this idiots chest cavity and liver full of holes and then climbed back into the grader and proceeded to drive over his car...after he went over the car 8 times or so he then pushed the wreck into a creek.

Our friends with the 500 or so lead shot in him drove the grader a half mile home where he had his wife pick out most of the shot and then he went to the hospital to get the rest out and get some antibiotics. He died 35 years later with a lot of shot still in him so I doubt there were many complications as he was back home that evening with his head looking like a ball of hamburger. We ALL finished the road the next day after the state police took our statements and peeled the body out of the car.

I watched it all from 25 feet away. Lesson Learned!

NEVER use bird shot to stop anyone! Stick with 00 (Double Alt) or rifled slugs!

SSGT
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SSGT PRIDE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,195 Posts

500 rounds? Unless your one heck of a better shot than the average Dove Hunter in the US, you might wanna stock up on a lot more than 500 rounds of shotgun ammo! I think the last figure I herd of shots to birds taken was something like 6 shots for every bird on average. Hopefully most of us here are a lot better than that, but still...

On Bird Shot I wouldnt stock anything smaller than #6 lead shot. If water fowl are in the mix you will definitely want some shot loads in a bigger size than that especially if you buy steel shot.

If you buy ammo when its on sale you can usually get the commercial stuff about as cheap as you can load it. On the 00-buck and Slugs you can usually load it cheaper than you can buy it, especially if you volunteer for clean up day at the local range and collect all your hulls for free, like I do! I know for a fact that I have enough Federal High Brass Hulls and WW AA hulls to probably last me a life time if I manage to burn through what I already have loaded.

With your 500 round limit I would probably go with 250 in #6, 200 in 00-Buck and 50 in 1 ounce slugs if there is much chance at all you will encounter two legged vermin or things that are capable of biting you back or stomping you into the ground. YMMV...
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
500 rounds? Unless your one heck of a better shot than the average Dove Hunter in the US, you might wanna stock up on a lot more than 500 rounds of shotgun ammo! I think the last figure I herd of shots to birds taken was something like 6 shots for every bird on average. Hopefully most of us here are a lot better than that, but still...
Who is going to hunt dove on the wing if the SHTF?

I'm going to bait em and try to get a dozen per shot on the ground LOL! Same with waterfoul.....shoot em while they are still!

Of course it aint sporting but starving to death and wasting precious ammo aint sportin either!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SSGT PRIDE For This Useful Post: