Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Prepared

Default Stick rubbing for worms

Advertise Here

I once saw a guy take two tree limbs with all the bark removed. He stuck one to the ground and rubbed it with a smaller limb until earthworms started coming to the surface. Has anyone ever done this or know how to do this.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Target Shooter

When I was growing up and we were going fishing, my father used to stick a pitchfork in the ground. When you pulled back on the handle and let go the pitchfork vibrated and worms came out of the ground. I've heard that the vibration tricks the worms into thinking that it is rain hitting the ground and they come to the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,784 Times in 4,220 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Makes sense to me...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Wherever I may Roam

Default vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
When I was growing up and we were going fishing, my father used to stick a pitchfork in the ground. When you pulled back on the handle and let go the pitchfork vibrated and worms came out of the ground. I've heard that the vibration tricks the worms into thinking that it is rain hitting the ground and they come to the surface.
Just don't try it in a cemetery!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sixpack110 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,519 Times in 741 Posts

That's an interesting thought. I might have to try that..... but i'd like to know ahead of time if the worms are there to begin with.

Ya know how long, or how many vibrations, are required to bring them up?
...here's a crazy thought.... remember "Dune"???
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Elitist Gun Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
That's an interesting thought. I might have to try that..... but i'd like to know ahead of time if the worms are there to begin with.

Ya know how long, or how many vibrations, are required to bring them up?
...here's a crazy thought.... remember "Dune"???
Or Tremors!

I've done this before with mixed effects. What I used was a piece of flat molding (runs along the edge of the wall where the wall meets the floor) With tons of notches cut in the long side by running it in and out of a table saw, creating a feathered effect on the edge. I would then take a saw and cut it into a V shape at the bottom so that it could get pounded into the ground in a couple of hits with a rock or hammer. Then rub the feathered/ribbed edge with a stick to create the vibrations. The idea is very similar to watching someone play a washboard in a jug band. I recommend trying it!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,519 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHorrorFan View Post
Or Tremors!

I've done this before with mixed effects. What I used was a piece of flat molding (runs along the edge of the wall where the wall meets the floor) With tons of notches cut in the long side by running it in and out of a table saw, creating a feathered effect on the edge. I would then take a saw and cut it into a V shape at the bottom so that it could get pounded into the ground in a couple of hits with a rock or hammer. Then rub the feathered/ribbed edge with a stick to create the vibrations. The idea is very similar to watching someone play a washboard in a jug band. I recommend trying it!
LOL! Tremors!! Try putting one of them dudes on a fish hook!! We'll need a bigger fishin pole!

Hey, what about taking a washboard's metal insert out, jamming it into the ground, and racking the thing? I'd imagine quite a bit of racket... though maybe the wrong vibrations.

I gotta try this Saturday.....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Troublemaker

ive definitely heard of hammering a metal pole into the ground and hitting it to bring worms up with the vibrations but ive never tried it
Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,405 Times in 698 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1
Default What about Beach Worms?

I've used damp cardboard laid on the ground overnight. It seems to bring earthworms up.

Hope this is not too off-topic:

Do you guys have beach worms there? I could maybe make a vid on how to catch them if there's interest. It's a bit of a trick, but easy once you've caught the first couple. They are xlnt bait for everything!!

Beach worms are generally one of 2 types: slimies or pearlies- because of their appearance / shape / length. Pearlies are better: thicker but shorter. I catch them by hand, not pliers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	beachy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	7448 Click image for larger version

Name:	beachycatch.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	7449Click image for larger version

Name:	popping up.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	7450
Distribution: These worms can be found burrowed in sandy areas throughout the south-eastern Australian coast at the low water mark. They are commonly collected by using a small piece of fish or meat to attract them to the surface then removing them by hand or using special pliers.

Characteristics: Beach worms have a muscular body that consists of hundreds of body segments. These worms can vary from a red to greenish colour on the head to a body of pearly white. They will surface from the sand for either fresh or smelly fish frames, and are teased up using a piece of pipi (shellfish).

Size: Beach worms can exceed 2.5 metres in length.

Bag Limit: here is 20 whole worms, or segments of worm.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 AM

I have personally always had a good spot to dig but a friend of mine said her and her dad used to do the pitchfork thing and they would get loads of worms.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

We always did this as a kid growing up in Louisiana. Always got a ton of night crawlers. It works really well if you pick a good spot to do it in, preferably beneath some leaves that you push back to expose the dirt.

Take 1 stick and notch it...put one end int he ground ....take another stick and rub up and down it. Worms will eventually come to the surface....then it is a matter of catching them all before they go back down.

This does work!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 PM

I've never tried the notched stick but I may give it a try. In the past I have used the ac/dc converter on my vehicle and a drop cord. I just attach a length of wire to the bare ends of the drop cord, plug the other end in the converter and fire it up! Worms don't like the tingle and surface immediately LOL
Disclaimer - Don't try this and blame me if you get zapped LOL
Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
dum dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack110 View Post
Just don't try it in a cemetery!!
haha! happy halloweeeeen! booo!