Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Trapper

Default Pellet gun range

Advertise Here

No sure if this is the right spot for this topic but as I'm building one thought I would start it here.

The family and I enjoy shooting but living in town it is hard to find time to head to the range every week. So I'm thinking of building my own pellet gun range.

I want something strong enough to catch the pellets so they don't bounce all over the place. My plan is Build a box with the rear wall slanted at about 35-45% so the pellets bounce down into the bottom where I'll place a rubber matt. But over all light enough to set up in our basement or move to the back yard.

Something kinda like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...2&linkCode=asm

Do you guys think 16ga slanted would stop pellets under 800fps? If not I might buy two sheets like
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...322-c-9215.htm

I know BB will bounce a lot more so might have a problem with them but don't plan on useing those.

Even if I buy two sheets I should be under $30 total. I already have some of the stuff in scrap wood and left over screws.
The Following User Says Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,310 Times in 548 Posts

That should work. Post pics when you are done an tested.
The Following User Says Thank You to FALPhil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
That should work. Post pics when you are done an tested.
I'm planning on building it this week. My oldest will be gone to camp so it will give my youngest and me some bonding time.
The Following User Says Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,047 Posts

I think it would work for a while. 16 ga is .060. Do you have any metal fab shops in your area? If I were making it I'd use 10ga cold rolled and never worry. I don't really care for spinning target so I'd be using card board over the front and a old rectangle cake pan with some sand for the tray.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Curmudgeon/Raconteur

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,447 Posts

I have two Pellet traps. One, many Years old, used Grease Putty ("Monkey Sh!t") that electricians use to seal Conduits, as the capture method. It is simply a Wood Box, with approximately Four inches deep of the Putty. a Cardboard coverlet to attach the targets to. A Drawer handle on top. It works well for my .177 Pellet Rifle, that operates in the 800-1000 FPS range.

The other is a Sheet-Metal affair, with Parallel Sides, and a Sloped Top/Back, angled at approx 50 degrees from Vertical, top edge towards the shooter, bottom edge away.

The Putty trap is much quieter, but requires the messy job of removing the pellets every so often.

The Sheet-metal trap makes Lead Dust, but is easy to empty.

For Indoor use, The Putty trap would be better - no Lead poisoning of area, or ventilation requirements.

If you are using "PBA" pellets, then the Sheet-Metal Trap would be OK, I guess, as the PBA Pellets are not made of Lead.

Please make sure You are telling the Kids Not to Eat during or after shooting until they have thoroughly washed their Hands, Face, and Blown Their Noses, as Lead is a pernicious poison for Growing Children.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Red Neck American

that type of pellet trap is a good design. the bad idea is a rubber mat. any good air gun will sling the pellet/BB fast enough that it will bounce off the rubber and be considered a richochet. try filling the "trap" with cat litter or sand, something that will catch the BB & stop it right there. Building the "trap' section as a removable tray will allow you to pour the sand/litter through a screen and remove all the pellets in less then a minute.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilRedNeckGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Trapper

Thanks for the sand idea I will do that in place of the mat. I'm going to pick up the wood to get started today and ill post pics as I build.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,767 Posts

I have a living room target box about 2'x2' on the far wall 25' from this very chair, with several layers of carpet samples inside. They are free, and always the same size. Piece of cardboard from a refrigerator carton cut to fit in front holds targets. Catches all the pellets. Gets too holy, replace a piece. My 5 year old learned to shoot right here. Works for me...
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Target Shooter

My son got his first pellet rifle and pistol for Christmas last year.

I took an empty box (about 60 inches x 36 inches x 10 inches) from the playhouse my daughter got for Christmas and filled it with as many broken down cardboard boxes as I could jam in there - roughly about 10 inches thick of cardboard.

The pellets fired from his Daisy 880 and my Crossman 760 only penetrate about an inch before stopped by the cardboard. We shoot in our garage, about 20 foot distance. We don't shoot BBs, so I don't know how it would work with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreiwhit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
P=(3/8)A

Thanked 21,037 Times in 11,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeRanch View Post
I have a living room target box about 2'x2' on the far wall 25' from this very chair, with several layers of carpet samples inside. They are free, and always the same size. Piece of cardboard from a refrigerator carton cut to fit in front holds targets. Catches all the pellets. Gets too holy, replace a piece. My 5 year old learned to shoot right here. Works for me...
Use the same idea, works great and cost is low especially when the word free is involved.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,767 Posts

Don't put it beside a window...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,322 Posts

This might not be what you are exactly talking about, but heres my backstop I made with some old trees I cut down, its about 7 or 8 years old. Its about 40 yards long.
Also heres my Gamo pellet rifle.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandLoad View Post
I have two Pellet traps. One, many Years old, used Grease Putty ("Monkey Sh!t") that electricians use to seal Conduits, as the capture method. It is simply a Wood Box, with approximately Four inches deep of the Putty. a Cardboard coverlet to attach the targets to. A Drawer handle on top. It works well for my .177 Pellet Rifle, that operates in the 800-1000 FPS range.
This is the best way to go.
It's called duct seal at home depot. Get an electrical box and line the back of it with 1-1/2" thick of the stuff. Best of all, it's silent if you have neighbors or zoning codes. Stuff in more when it craters from repeated shots in the same place. It has no problem absorbing hits from my 36 ft-lb marauder.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:10 AM
Prepared

I used 2 slanted 45 degree walls, bullet---------\ bullet hits the first 45 degree angle, then travels down for 2 feet, hits another 45, | traveling backing into 3 straw bales, that I rotate on a semi regular basis. \-------[][][]

I'm using 3/4" hardened steel plate for the angles, I find they are working for anything upto 5.56mm nato. Behind the straw bales are just regular earth, I changed that out last year, screed out the lead/bullets and replaced it.

Its overkill for what your firing into it, but I dunno about you, I personally prefer not to have anything come back at me when shooting.

You might try some of that ground up tire material, I know some of the ranges have been using it, an angled plate driving the bullet down into 5 feet of it. I'm told it can handle upto a .50bmg as well as full auto fire.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM

Check out: http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...Air_Gun_Range/

They will sell the target box separately for about $80 if you want to do the rest yourselves.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Ah pellet raps can be as simple as a box filled with old jeans.well packed paper etc up to shed sized all purpose units. I have a few. I have an outers 22 steel trap rated for up to 22LR, I have a home made larger version I found on craigslist , outside I even use soft logs faced butt side toward me, but I made a duct seal one using a metal box with a hinge a while back. It works great so far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tallsaul For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Prepared

Be careful using a pellet gun in town. My cousins prize bird dog ran behind their pellet targets last summer while camping, and was accidentally shot in the gut. Hit a major artery, she was dead in minutes.
Just because they don't use gunpowder, doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Trapper

My pellet gun was much much smaller than yours max FPS was only 700 something, and it was pump so I could down scale it.

I used a box and put magazines on the back end of it, it usually went through the first three or four pages of a magazine at 2 pumps and through about 10-15 at 10 pumps(max 700 FPSish velocity) So a 100 page magazine X 6 is about what I had and i'd replace the front magazine every so often and move my target from middle to corner to corner, cheap easy and recycleing old magazines and cardboard from stuff. Plus I did this down my hallway in an apartment about 20 feet long, taught my girls fundementals. with it, again I had the option of only pumping once or twice so It would only be like 150 FPS But the concept was great and old magazines are easy to come by.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeee2002 View Post
Be careful using a pellet gun in town.
In town or not one needs to be careful with ANY pellet or BB gun as well as fire arms bows slingshots etc!

Some of today's airguns regularly take big game and are up to 72 calibre... I own a 50 cal airgun that shoots as hard or harder than a 45 acp/standard 45 colt load- I need a heavier backstop for that one though!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
who? what? me? No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallsaul View Post
In town or not one needs to be careful with ANY pellet or BB gun as well as fire arms bows slingshots etc!

Some of today's airguns regularly take big game and are up to 72 calibre... I own a 50 cal airgun that shoots as hard or harder than a 45 acp/standard 45 colt load- I need a heavier backstop for that one though!
pleasepos pics as well as info on this gun