Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 2,530 Times in 974 Posts
Default A very bad smell of burning plastic in the house, guess what it was?

Advertise Here

Last night we were sitting in our LR and I got up and went into the other room and this burning plastic smell hit me. Now I have to tell you my wife says I have the nose of bloodhound. I told her something is melting and she ignored me as usual. As I started checking rooms it finally hit her because it was getting ridiculously strong. I checked that the lights were all on and checked the smoke detectors and checked the outlets electronics etc. The wife went to stand in front of the open door it was so bad. I was thinking about calling 911 when I thought I would check the lights again and lo and behold one of the CFL's was now out. It was getting very hot and turning black and brown.

I have had the CFL's pop/break and burn out but never had one burn and emit such a smell while still on. The fixture was one over the dining table and the openings face up so it was not easy to look into the fixture at the bulb the first time around.

Another thing I noticed is that the manufacturer did not have their name on the bulb. I assume so you could not trace it back to them. The bulbs came with the house.

I came across these pictures and wanted to warn others if they smell melting plastic check/turn off your lights that have CFL's.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

My biggest question is how toxic were the fumes? The govt says no. It sure gives you a big headache.

I have to say the CFL's save on the electric bill but are they worth burning down your house? Not like we have much of a choice now. The bulb was scorching hot but it was taken outside. If we had not noticed or been outside would it have caught on fire? Obviously the Voltage Dependent Resister (VDR) did not work on this bulb since it was continuing to heat up/burn when found.

Just wanted to pass on the experience.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Destroyer of Marxism.

Thanked 1,359 Times in 447 Posts

Just another reason I hold "progressives" in absolute contempt. All of their "solutions" to problems they invented or caused keep making things worse. I will never buy or use these bulbs. I will have incandescent bulbs mailed to me from Laos for twice the cost of CFL's before I ever buy one.
The Following User Says Thank You to pete7469 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Hunter

there are a lot of Chinese knock-offs out there and beware of CLFs from dollar stores and other places.

look for the Underwriters lab seal on any you buy.
http://libn.com/files/2009/08/underw...torieslogo.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts

Good info, I wouldve never thought to check the light bulbs. Thank you Bammy, for looking out for my best interests.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,316 Times in 4,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete7469 View Post
Just another reason I hold "progressives" in absolute contempt. All of their "solutions" to problems they invented or caused keep making things worse. I will never buy or use these bulbs. I will have incandescent bulbs mailed to me from Laos for twice the cost of CFL's before I ever buy one.
(blink, blink) You DO realize, I hope, that the effort to phase out inefficient incandescents (which are still being made, they just have to meet higher standards of energy use) and phase in CFLs was a largely Republican move, part of the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act, which passed with bipartisan support and was signed by that arch progressive, George W. Bush?

I hope?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,387 Times in 733 Posts

http://www.saferproducts.gov/ViewIncident/1183918

"Normal burnout performance". Saferproducts.gov...LOL. We're far gone, eh?

A PDF from a fire department says some old bulbs from Costco, a brand called Globe, and some others have had similar issues.

Snopes basically lands at: "normal burnout performance", too. Aside, that link discusses mercury in the bulbs - bag and don't lick any broken glass, clean area with damp rag.

As for the aroma, it is not good, but I would not stress unless symptoms persist. You might try to find the type of plastic and check an MSDS - it will probably say consult physician if symptoms persist.

So, my initial guess was gas water heater or furnace. Thanks for the word on these bulbs.

"Working as intended."
The Following User Says Thank You to ponderous For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One thing I do is take a sharpie and label the date and save the package/receipt so I can return them when they burn out within a year for the 5 year bulbs. Menards used to take them back within a year but I was told that would end.

The only place I know of that we can frop off burnt out CFL's is at our city hall.

My wife hates the color of the lights but says the soft white is what she wants, I like the cool white or natural. So we have a little of both.

Right out of high school I changed light bulbs for a big employer here in town. I had to put them in a device that chopped them up. I breathed in all that dust for 2 years everyday. I'm waitng for my IQ to go up now. Oh and I worked around asbestos that they said was not asbestos. Nothing I can do about it until I get diagnose with meso or asbestosis.

Looking to switch to LED.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 AM

You were sitting in your Land Rover and smelled the lamp from there?
I get mine from the dollar store, where they cost, uh, one dollar. I have had a couple stink bad when they fail. You got to have nerves of steel......
Who cares if they come from China? Just what doesn't these days?
I like LEDs much better, but for now price does not compute.
The Following User Says Thank You to slogo49 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Figured it was time

Thanked 7,932 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogo49 View Post
You were sitting in your Land Rover and smelled the lamp from there?
I get mine from the dollar store, where they cost, uh, one dollar. I have had a couple stink bad when they fail. You got to have nerves of steel......
Who cares if they come from China? Just what doesn't these days?
I like LEDs much better, but for now price does not compute.
You really need to get out more if you think that LR in that situation stood for land rover.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 13,994 Times in 4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartlander View Post
The bulb was scorching hot but it was taken outside. If we had not noticed or been outside would it have caught on fire? Obviously the Voltage Dependent Resister (VDR) did not work on this bulb since it was continuing to heat up/burn when found.

Good thing you caught that potentially disastrous problem, thanks for sharing your experience. It's possible that it was the resistor that was burning. I've had that happen on other continuous running equipment. In expendable CFLs, the cheapest parts are used in the circuitry.

IMO CFLs are a nuisance economically, environmentally and atmospherically. I'm certain the light they emit reduces serotonin levels in my brain. For the majority of my lighting needs I use time tested incandescents. But for energy reduction needs, I'll take LEDs over CFLs.
The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Prepared

You CAN still buy the good old fashioned incandescent light bulbs. Go to your home improvement or auto parts store, look for "rough service" bulbs that go in to a drop light. This is one loophole they could not close.

homer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homer simpson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,362 Posts

i Will see the politicians in hell before i bend to their will.. i will never use CFL lightbulbs...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,044 Times in 1,785 Posts

Incandescents have their own problems. The heat from them can start a fire, especially if you use one that is too big for the application. We will continue to use CFLs for the energy savings. Although we don't ever leave lights on unless we are using them, it's good to know they can give off a bad smell when they burn out. Never had it happen, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappat View Post
Incandescents have their own problems. The heat from them can start a fire, especially if you use one that is too big for the application. We will continue to use CFLs for the energy savings. Although we don't ever leave lights on unless we are using them, it's good to know they can give off a bad smell when they burn out. Never had it happen, though.
I am neurotic about turning off lights, the rest of the family not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
Good info, I wouldve never thought to check the light bulbs. Thank you Bammy, for looking out for my best interests.....
You mean the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007?

Not a fan of the man, but blame him for the things he HAS done wrong, no need to make stuff up

Plus, as of today no bulbs have been banned. They pushed it back and the first wave (100 Watt) comes this fall, followed by 75w, and 60w. 40w will be left alone, as well as rough service bulbs.

Also you could go to the halogen bulbs I've seen on some shelves now as replacements for people who are opposed to switching to CFL or LED. Or you could stock up on the old bulbs. Many many ways around this. My money is on them pushing it back again and then it will eventually go away, and we will look back on it as just a means to force people to try the CFL and LED bulbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SurviveTheDay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurviveTheDay View Post
You mean the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007?

Not a fan of the man, but blame him for the things he HAS done wrong, no need to make stuff up

Plus, as of today no bulbs have been banned. They pushed it back and the first wave (100 Watt) comes this fall, followed by 75w, and 60w. 40w will be left alone, as well as rough service bulbs.

Also you could go to the halogen bulbs I've seen on some shelves now as replacements for people who are opposed to switching to CFL or LED. Or you could stock up on the old bulbs. Many many ways around this. My money is on them pushing it back again and then it will eventually go away, and we will look back on it as just a means to force people to try the CFL and LED bulbs.
Yeah, I realized that AFTER hitting 'Submit' and was too lazy to go back and fix it. Might as well take the hit and be done with it. But I couldve sworn 'he' pulled something similar not long after taking office. Oh well youre right, hes got enough strikes against him as it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,669 Posts

having turned over many apartments, changed many lights therein and cleaned many apartment hallways changing lights there too.... i have had numerous experiences with those.
I would have guessed it was some sort of flourescent going bad.
I have not seen any difference in performance life between the old technology and the new earth saving technology (sarcasm) the bulbs don't last any longer.
I don't like halogens because they get so hot they are a fire hazard, i just go on using my old incandescents (i stocked up like the prepared person i am, and because the law said the stores had to get rid of them i got a great price! ) best wishes.
The Following User Says Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,044 Times in 1,785 Posts

You honestly don't see any difference in longevity between CFLs and incandescents? When we moved in here (January 2008) we replaced almost all the light bulbs with CFLs and have yet to have one burn out. The very few incandescents left have been replace a couple times each.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Target Shooter

We had the same problem with 3 CFL bulbs in our house. These were Sylvania brand. They melted or burned throughthe ceramic base. We have now replaced them all with LED lights. Expensive but worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to utefan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,059 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You really need to get out more if you think that LR in that situation stood for land rover.
I was curious as to why they were sitting in the laundry room.