Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Default Considering Ruger Mini 30

Advertise Here

Before I begin, I will mention that I'm a California resident.
Last year I bought a Ruger SA revolver in .41 mag caliber and after owning it for a while I decided that there were some issues and I sent the gun back to the factory for warrany work.
It was determined that the gun was defective and they offered to replace it because the defects were not repairable.
Well, because my revolver was a distributor exclusive and is no longer in production that means that it is no longer on the CA approved list for transfer in this state. So therefore I cannot legally replace the revolver with the identical model, and Ruger has offered to replace my defective gun with the gun of my choice including rifles. It just needs to be a Ruger.
I am leaning toward the mini 30.
I'll mention as well that I reload and reloadability of a cartridge weighs heavily on my final decision.
I'd like to hear what sort of stories shooters have to share about feeding issues of reload ammo with hunting bullets, or cast bullets with the Mini 30 rifle.

I'm also considering the Mini 14

Thanks for any opinions and sharing your real world experiences

BK
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Hiker

Are they willing to give you any gun? I'd ask for a Ruger SR-556.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/index.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plagued707 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,041 Times in 616 Posts

There is a new model mini 30 tactical. It has a heavier, shorter, barrel. The company is now selling ruger brand 20 round magazines for that rifle. It just might be what you are asking for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Beyond the grid!

Stick with a current production handgun. Thats what you had, and what you wanted/needed at one time.

I'm not conversant in CA's BS laws, but consider this:
A Ruger Mini Thirty will not squeeze out one more fps or fp than a cheaper SKS.
A .223 fired from a NEF Handi Rifle has comparable ballistics to any tacticool blackie in that caliber with a comparable barrel length.
You can buy 5.56 & 7.62 in cheaper guns! What you have in effect is a coupon, use it to its greatest advantage in replacing the handgun.

Last edited by Lost_ID; 07-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: spellin'
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Hiker

Just on an aside, Are 41cal s/a revolvers now illegal in California? What has changed?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 38,573 Times in 9,494 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Mini. I've never owned a Mini 30, but I have two Mini 14's. The only thing I had to add for accessories are Tech Sights brand replacement rear sights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,463 Times in 4,615 Posts

I also live in the PRK and i own two Mini-30s. I never had a functional failure with a pointed bullet.

My older model shoots my reloaded ammo (123g Olin PSP .310" dia bullets) more accurately than the SKS rifles I tested. It also shoots hand loaded 150g Rem PSP bullets decently. Yes, there is a slight increase in muzzle velocity, but that is likely due to the tighter matching of the bore dia to bullet dia.

My new rifle is even more of a great thing. You may have to buy your full capacity magazines at a gun show out of state, but other than that, it is a decent rifle.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,374 Times in 929 Posts

I bought my wife a Mini-14 a few months ago, becuase it gave her warm fuzzies. It reminded her of the Garand she used for drill in ROTC. Since coveted it so much, she got me a Mini-30 last month.

We have no complaints with either, really. Hers is a classic wood and blued, mine is synthetic and stainless. They both handle well, and are more accurate than their reputation.

So far, all we've done is range time, to build familiarity. Since hunting in our area is nigh impossible, and we live in a small apartment complex, that's all I expect them to be used for unless things go bad.

Both have been fed a steady diet of TulAmmo. I know people naysay it, but the current stuff is non-corrosive, and shoots just find. Accurate enough for hunting and defense purposes, and considering it's 2/3rds the price of anything else on the shelves, I see nothing wrong.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Southpaw_soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
Just on an aside, Are 41cal s/a revolvers now illegal in California? What has changed?
In CA there's what they call a 'roster' of handguns which are currently legal.
It's complicated... Ridiculously so... A company produces a handgun, and then it needs to be approved both through the company giving $$ to the state and by that particular model passing a variety of tests as well.
Approval is for a finite period of time
Once a model is expired it needs to be re-approved, and my model has been out of production since the end of 2010, so it was never re-approved.
My model was a limited prod 'distributor exclusive'
And I need a complete replacement, so it needs to be re-registered as a new gun.
I can't register it as a new gun, cause it is no longer on the roster.

Outside of that - Thanks for the feedback
This may be an opportunity to pick up something better.

I originally bought that gun because I enjoy shooting magnum revolvers, but there may be something more practical waiting for me out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 AM

Also: I've had a chance to do some searches, What's up with the 6.8 I've been reading about?
I haven't heard about it anywhere before.

Can't get the 556 That's double the MSRP of my original revolver.
Also, it must be stainless. Local salt air is guaranteed to rust anything blued no matter how well cared for.

I think I will get a mini 30. I've read some complaints about FTFs but guys here seem to have good luck.

PS- Anyone interested in a deal on a couple hundred .41 mag brass + bullets?

Glad I joined here, this is a cool forum
Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,079 Posts

You are going the right direction with the Mini 30. Forget the 6.8 in this platform however. It is a longer range intermediate rifle round that the Mini platform cannot honestly take advantage of unless you do some pretty costly work on the rifle.

"Taking advantage" is in regards to shots over 300+ yards and still wanting to hold under 6 moa.

The 7.62.39 round is excellent in this platform though. CZDiesel owns one and last year did a lot of work around changing our minds on the system. He was holding under 2" at 100 yards with a wide variety of rounds. This gives you under 6 moa at 300 yards which is also the outer effective range of most shooters (basically the rifle will most likely be capable more than you are).

I decided to go with a couple M1 Carbines from Fulton instead of the Mini 30 due to familiarity and current gear/setup. I will tell you though that I almost decided against the M1 Carbine and went with the Mini 30. It was damn close

1) Round is very cheap - the Ruger is rated to shoot everything from premium handloads all the way down to surplus. It shoots all of this very well (considering).
2) If you are going to only have 10 rounds at least make those 10 rounds have some punch to them
3) The 7.62x39 round matches up very nicely with the capabilities of the platform
4) In the stainless+synthetic configuration you have a very durable solution that will survive coastal environments
5) Not expensive. I could have gotten (4) Mini 30's for the same price that I paid for my M1's. Not apples to apples but at around $700-$800 they are pretty easy to afford. The mags are expensive but they are also well built.

You are stuck with Ruger and their heavy rings, their lack of desire to sell firing pins and other long standing issues. But, you are also stuck with a company that has really turned things around in the past few years and should continue to get easier to work with going forward.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jida For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
You are going the right direction with the Mini 30. Forget the 6.8 in this platform however. It is a longer range intermediate rifle round that the Mini platform cannot honestly take advantage of unless you do some pretty costly work on the rifle.

"Taking advantage" is in regards to shots over 300+ yards and still wanting to hold under 6 moa.

The 7.62.39 round is excellent in this platform though. CZDiesel owns one and last year did a lot of work around changing our minds on the system. He was holding under 2" at 100 yards with a wide variety of rounds. This gives you under 6 moa at 300 yards which is also the outer effective range of most shooters (basically the rifle will most likely be capable more than you are).

I decided to go with a couple M1 Carbines from Fulton instead of the Mini 30 due to familiarity and current gear/setup. I will tell you though that I almost decided against the M1 Carbine and went with the Mini 30. It was damn close

1) Round is very cheap - the Ruger is rated to shoot everything from premium handloads all the way down to surplus. It shoots all of this very well (considering).
2) If you are going to only have 10 rounds at least make those 10 rounds have some punch to them
3) The 7.62x39 round matches up very nicely with the capabilities of the platform
4) In the stainless+synthetic configuration you have a very durable solution that will survive coastal environments
5) Not expensive. I could have gotten (4) Mini 30's for the same price that I paid for my M1's. Not apples to apples but at around $700-$800 they are pretty easy to afford. The mags are expensive but they are also well built.

You are stuck with Ruger and their heavy rings, their lack of desire to sell firing pins and other long standing issues. But, you are also stuck with a company that has really turned things around in the past few years and should continue to get easier to work with going forward.
Good Stuff
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 PM

There is a Single action exemption in Cal that says all single actions are OK. Have your FFL double check this to be sure, Cal rules are always devolving. If you still want the Blackhawk. If you want the Mini 30 it will cost you about $200 more than the Blackhawk.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Target Shooter

Ruger's Mini-14 rocks. Loved mine but had to sell it due to money issues. Would own one again, really reliable. Lots of tackitkool you can slap on them too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Rex Sacramento For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Fellow PRK Inmate here:

I own a 581 series Mini14, wood/blued. Has the Tech sight rear sight, FedOrd handguard, and Accu-Strut; scope is a Weaver K 3-60. Extended mag release is on the way as well. I wanted a Mini30 but I got an IAC Polish underfolder for my 762x39 needs.

My CA-Compliant Mini:

The Following User Says Thank You to DasBoost For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,560 Times in 1,979 Posts

I reload for the mini-30 and use .308 130 grain Hornady bullets. While I have 7.62x39 loaded ammo, and can load that also, I have been reluctant to fire .310 bullets as long as the others work now. Accurate Arms 1680 powder was made pretty much for this round. I am going to try the bullets used in the 30-30 (150 gr.) as they expand at same velocity for use on deer, if the need arises.
The Following User Says Thank You to deep woods For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 8,678 Times in 3,457 Posts

I've had my Mini-30 for about 15-20 years now. No complaints, I have shot cheap ammo through it and never had a problem. Mine is an older one, and it's not the most accurate rifle in the world but for plinking or hunting deer-sized game out to 100 yards (or more if you're a good shooter) it's great. Mine is wood/stainless. I like it's handling characteristics better than the AR styles, and better than my AK. It's a cool gun and I have no regrets buying it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprkymrk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmano1 View Post
There is a new model mini 30 tactical. It has a heavier, shorter, barrel. The company is now selling ruger brand 20 round magazines for that rifle. It just might be what you are asking for.

This guy did a review of it on another site. Looks to be a pretty good rifle.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ni-30-Tactical
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cearbhall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 AM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,728 Times in 1,935 Posts

I took my 14 yo nephew out to the range this past week... He came down to stay with us for a couple of days and wanted to show him a good time. My brother, his father, is recently retired airborne engineer with the 82nd. Just like his dad my nephew is VERY gung ho about being airborne!
So my brother sends him down with a 22, a AR, and a M1 Carbine... I take the Mini-30
We shoot and I have him using good technique and taking his time for several hours...
THEN, I hand him the Mini-30.... I tell him I want him to use good technique but I want him to squeeze them off as soon as the post comes back on target! We have a man target at 70 yards with a 6" center. He pulls of 20 rounds in seconds and with a big grin hands the M-30 back and says "I probably didn't hit anything". We walk out and the kid has put all 20 in the 10 ring with a dozen in the orange 6" center... This is the first time he has ever shot this rifle. No sh!t, he goes home with the target and bragging rights and asks his dad for a Mini-30
This is the very boring reality of this weapon.... Utterly reliable and damn accurate! My handloads go under an inch and I have NEVER had one failure of any kind in now 2500+ rounds of shooting.

I WILL SAY THIS You must use Ruger mags and you need to shoot boxer primed, brass ammo! Others will work but NOT with the utter reliability and accuracy the weapon is capable of.

The Ruger scope mounts are over built and proprietary but they do keep zero when unmounted and then remounted.... This is a good thing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CZDiesel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 AM
it is what it is

Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,518 Posts

this thread is making me think i should of got the stainless mini 14 i wanted before i got an AR.the AR guys argue more with each other then they do with AK guys.oh well it is still on my bucket list.glad to see ruger get some respect,it is a good company,good guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post: