Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Hiker

Default Remington 870 express? Magnum??

Advertise Here

I have a Rem 870 express, bought new last year. It is the 2 3/4, 3in. model.
It is not labeled magnum anywhere and I was wondering if it would shoot magnums. I am hearing that if a modern day shotgun is 3 inch, then it will shoot the magnums. But, I remember them being labled to.

yeah I know sounds like a dumb question, if it doesnt say magnum then dont shoot magnums. But, I just have to ask to see.

This shotgun has had a fair share of slugs and buckshot.

By the way, I do have the Remington Super Mag with the 3.5in chamber, so yes I can use this shotgun. But I need to find out for the other please.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

If the shotgun is chambered for 3" shells, then it can shoot 3" shells, commonly called magnum loads.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,387 Posts

3.5" shells probably won't physically rack into your Express due to diffs in receiver length and lifter and whatnot, but don't shoot them if they manage to do so.

That model is chambered for 3" max, period.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Target Shooter

Whatever your gun is chambered for you can shoot. Doesn't matter if it says magnum or not. If its 3" you can shoot it. Only difference in a actual magnum shotgun is there usually chambered for up to 3.5"
Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 AM

An 870 is an 870 is an 870 from the beginning of time until now.

They're all "Magnum" receivers. The difference in 870s "built" to handle only 2 3/4-inch shells and one "built" to handle both 2 3/4-inch shells and 3-inch shells is the ejector. That is the ONLY difference in the receiver and its not even a receiver difference; the ejector is the part riveted to the inside of the receiver. The chamber in the barrel is what determines what length of shell can be fired, nothing else. A gun "built" to only shoot 2 3/4-inch shells may not successfully eject a 3-inch hull if used with a barrel chamber for 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells as the ejector riveted onto the inside of the receiver is only designed to eject the shorter shells. An "old" "2 3/4-inch only" 870 can have the ejector changed out (about $50 to $75 + refinish) and have a barrel with a 3-inch chamber (will also handle 2 3/4-inch shells) installed and will work just fine with 2 3/4-inch and 3-inch shells.

All newer 870s (including the OP's 870 Express) have the ejector for a 3-inch shells. If the barrel is chambered for 3-inch and 2 3/4-inch shells it will work fine with either.

The 870 Super Magnum is also just an 870 with a few different parts inside it. The receiver is no longer or dimensionally different than any other 870 except for the ejection port hole in the side of the receiver (its longer). The receiver itself is not longer, thicker or wider. Again the ejector is changed (to handle 3 1/2-inch, 3-inch and 2 3/4-inch shells. The bolt is different and the trigger pack and lifter are different. The barrel is also obviously different - able to chamber everything up to the 3 1/2-inch shells.

The barrel is what holds the pressure (not the receiver) and barrels can be swapped from gun to gun and the guns are able to shoot the ammo the barrel is rated for but the gun may not be successful in the manipulation of the shells through the gun. Remington will tell you not to do this and as they built the guns I tend to follow their advise, but keep in mind they're also wanting to sell more guns and not deal with lawsuits.

To the OP's query: your gun is an 870 Express and has a barrel chambered for 3-inch shells - you're fine shooting every commercial 3-inch and less shell out there.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 AM
The Iconoclast

For what it's worth, I see no point whatsoever to 3.5 inch magnums, which some call "super magnums". In fact, some 2 3/4 inchers are called "short magnums" and lemme tell you, you can take down ANYTHING with a Brenneke Special Forces 2 3/4 Short Magnum Slug. I really don't see a place for 3.5 magnums really. If you want a punt gun, get a punt gun. lol.

Also, the 3.5 probably will physically fit, but DO NOT FIRE IT. That extra space is for the shell to open up. If it can't open up properly, your gun can explode. I am not exaggerating.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
For what it's worth, I see no point whatsoever to 3.5 inch magnums, which some call "super magnums". In fact, some 2 3/4 inchers are called "short magnums" and lemme tell you, you can take down ANYTHING with a Brenneke Special Forces 2 3/4 Short Magnum Slug. I really don't see a place for 3.5 magnums really. If you want a punt gun, get a punt gun. lol.
Just because you, in your infinite wisdom and experience, "see no point whatsoever to 3.5" magnums", does not mean there is no point to 3.5" magnums. Super magnums, as they are sometimes called are typically configured as hunting guns and are very popular with waterfowl hunters, particularly for use hunting geese and turkey, using steel shot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NYShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 AM
The Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShooter View Post
Just because you, in your infinite wisdom and experience, "see no point whatsoever to 3.5" magnums", does not mean there is no point to 3.5" magnums. Super magnums, as they are sometimes called are typically configured as hunting guns and are very popular with waterfowl hunters, particularly for use hunting geese and turkey, using steel shot.
I understand that. I'm just saying, that a person shouldn't lose any sleep over finding out that their shotgun is soooo "weak" that it can't shoot 3.5 inchers. The OP was asking if you can do it. I said that you can't, and I also shared my view on the topic of their relevance. Yes, they do have a (niche) place.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

If you are turkey hunting, where the first shot is the most important, every pellet in your wad matters. I have used a 3.5" in the chamber with the rest 3" in the mag tube.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
I understand that. I'm just saying, that a person shouldn't lose any sleep over finding out that their shotgun is soooo "weak" that it can't shoot 3.5 inchers. The OP was asking if you can do it. I said that you can't, and I also shared my view on the topic of their relevance. Yes, they do have a (niche) place.
I understand exactly what you said, and it wasn't that. It was:
Quote:
For what it's worth, I see no point whatsoever to 3.5 inch magnums
and
Quote:
I really don't see a place for 3.5 magnums really. If you want a punt gun, get a punt gun. lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM

I prefer 3" loads to be my maximum. 3.5 in loads are just too stiff for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM

I know this thread dropped off recently, but wanted to address the OP. The Remington 870 standard setup can accept a 3.5" shell and fires fine. Not sure it's safe but I've done it by accident 2 weeks back. Note the Remington barrel engraving says safe for 3.5" shells if equipped with a magnum receiver. Barrel, at least, seems fine then. I tend to load one round at a time so when I my friend and I were shooting, I inadvertently grabbed one of his shells and pushed it into the receiver. I had 3", his were 3.5". Loaded fine. I noticed much more kick (approx 60-65lbs per charts). Problem was, the shell would not eject. I removed the barrel from the receiver and let it drop out. I thought it must have hung up. After the second hung too, I began to fish for an answer and asked to see his ammo box. It was then I realized he had gotten one box of 3.5 Nitro Turkey mags and four boxes of the 3" he thought he was using with me.

Barrel pressure figures I've seen put the 3.5 a bit higher. Something on the order of 15-20% than the 3". Not so much as to think there would be barrel failure, but not something I'd care to do again. It's the receiver I worry more about. But technically, in a survival situation? Anything goes.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Everything ch139 said in his post is spot on. 870's with an M at the end of their serial number were set up at the factory with three inch or magnum ejectors.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 PM

I bought a Remington 870 express tactical shotgun last fall. Eager to test shoot it I bought some boxes of "Nitro Turkey" shells. One box was of the 3 1/2 inch ones. I had a lot of shells I wanted to try out, all of em were 2 3/4"
or 3" but the one box. I noticed the difference in size obviously but I never
thought the gun might blow up. The 3 1/2 inch loaded ok. Like AdironDoc said it kicked a lot harder than the others and the shell would not eject. I think
I fired 3 of them and stopped because I didn't feel like pulling the shell out after each shot. I was shot gun ignorant to be honest , I have always been a rifleman before. I am glad my ignorance didn't get me killed. The shells did seem to shoot ok, after I looked at the spent ones they had opened completely and one person earlier suggested that any 870 barrel could handle the 3 1/2 " shells. I wont ever do it again though. Oh just an FYI the barrel on my particular 870 says 12 ga 2 3/4" or 3". I wish I had looked at that before.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Default Old 870...2 1/2"

Hello,

I've an older 1953ish 870 where the barrel states 2 1/2" Only. Not a big deal for "heavy game loads", but pretty useless for HD or deer. Is a barrel change out going to let me use 2 3/4"? Based on comments about ejectors and ports, I seems that "maybe" is the answer. any definite yes or no would be great!

Like the poster above me, I ended up shooting a few 3" and all ejected without issue.

Oh, and great forum. I've been reading posts here and there for a while. Finally signed up.

Peace.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Can Do

Thanked 1,315 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat47 View Post
Hello,

I've an older 1953ish 870 where the barrel states 2 1/2" Only. Not a big deal for "heavy game loads", but pretty useless for HD or deer. .
Why are 2 3/4 buckshot loads considered useless for HD or Deer? The amount of shot or power? Just curious, not arguing.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
Why are 2 3/4 buckshot loads considered useless for HD or Deer? The amount of shot or power? Just curious, not arguing.
Mostly overblown opinions, I'd say.

3" buckshot won't kill a perp any deader than 2.75" and likely not much quicker if at all.

Despite the name, not many states actually allow buckshot for deer, as it's a relatively short range round in the first place for effectiveness.

However, most allow slugs, and a 2.75" slug load in the head at 25 yards will drop a Kodiak bear, let alone a puny ole deer at a 100 yards or more.

- OS
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Target Shooter

His barrel says 2-1/2" only, not 2-3/4".
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Can Do

Thanked 1,315 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwburke811 View Post
His barrel says 2-1/2" only, not 2-3/4".
Ah, roger that. Belay my last.