Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Les Stroud Camillus Survival Knife

Advertise Here

So I was at Gander Mountain today and saw a Les Stroud Survival knife, it was basically his take on the BG ultimate knife. It came with a sharpener, whistle, firesteel, signal mirror and some paracord, hammer pommel.

Anyone got any experience with it?

And for the BG haters, it is partially serrated, and some nice bright colors

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM
I didn't do it

I have to say I like it better than the BG's knife, but I dont buy into the hype from the TV survivalist...and I am not a fan of serrations. Seems like it has a decent survival kit, but so does my ESEE 5...I tried to find some reviews on youtube, but only found one on the folder. while I like Les Stroud better than Bear Grylls, I probably wouldnt buy any knives endorsed by either...I dont think either one uses's their knives in the shows...Actually I think ive seen Bear use his knife once...save your money.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM

So........... What happened to his Helle??
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Survivalist in the making

Looks like a diving knife.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Prepared

The "arctic" version (smaller fixed blade, no serrations) is 41 shipped on ebay. Sheath looks good, decent steel, however it DOES look like a diving knife.

Given the choice between the BG Ultimate Survival knife, and the Mountain knife from Les Stroud? I'd take the Camillus.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Answer Is No

Proof is in the knives, both "experts" are as usefull as tits on a boar hog, same as the **** they spew and the gear they "endorse."
The original Helle knife was a good blade and a good choice but this current trend for cheap plastic and even cheaper steel as well as the goofball serrations on a knife that is supposedly for bush survival (neither is an expert BTW) makes me sick.
A $10 Mora is better than any of the supposed "expert" knives I've seen to date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Trapper

must have been an older episode, but i saw one of his episodes today on the science channel and he was sporting a buck 119.

as for the knife, it looks cool. would like to see a field test.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyTakeMusic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Prepared

Talking

I saw him on the science channel today, also. He was in Alaska. That was the one where he ate that castoff fish that looked nasty.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Hiker

I like Survivor Man I I personally think he uses inexpensive knives on purpose. I believe he likes to promote a stong skill set over having a fancy blade. Pretty much all of his episodes feature an knife or multi-tool under the $50 or $60. In an arctic episode he was using a $15 Martini knife and he seemed to do ok.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,606 Times in 4,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetroop2k1 View Post
So I was at Gander Mountain today and saw a Les Stroud Survival knife, it was basically his take on the BG ultimate knife. It came with a sharpener, whistle, firesteel, signal mirror and some paracord, hammer pommel.

Anyone got any experience with it?

And for the BG haters, it is partially serrated, and some nice bright colors

Amazon.com: Les Stroud Mountain Survival Knife: Everything Else
I've never really liked 440 stainless. Far too brittle for anything beyond skinning and butchering (not great for splitting the pelvic bone). I'd rather carry a blade made from tool steel.

Last time I checked, Les was using a Leatherman wave and a small folding knife.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 PM

I haven't done a field test with his survival Camillus, but I know that I had an assisted open Camillus for personal protection/use and the knife was great. It was a lot stronger than I had expected, and really went through the wringer. I'd like to test Les' knife out.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,081 Times in 6,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapata View Post
So........... What happened to his Helle??
Focus and marketing groups happened!!

I really doubt that Les had much input on this knife design or that they listened to his input much.

You wonder why it looks so much like BG knife? Because it is the SAME FOCUS GROUPS!!! "Wow that looks great! I'd buy one." Their target buyers aren't experienced outdoorsmen... it is the 18-35 year old male brackets that probably go camping or outdoors less than 10 days a year.

But eventually everyone gets enough bucks to allow a company to have their endorsement. Why do you think there are so many versions also?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 3,422 Times in 982 Posts

If you want a Les Stroud knife...get a real knife.
http://www.helle.no/products/knives/temagami/
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
(-.(-.-).-)

It is an ugly looking knife.
I don't like Bear's knife either, but at least it looks similar to Gerber LMF2. Stroud's knife is just meh. The reason for me is the handle, ugly shape, ugly colors, looks like made of some toy rubber. Oh and the sheath feels so cheap.

Both knives are overpriced. For the same money I could buy two Condor knives or one Ka- Bar.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 AM

the thing i hate about the les stroud and the bg knives is they look so cheesy. i know the bg knife is made overseas so your getting a cheesy knife on top of being a piece of crap if your really into bushcrafting like they say the knives are for. i'm sure they are great knives for beginners but if you really got lost in the woods there is a good chance you won't be using a les stroud or bg knife to survive.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Optimism is Cowardice

Thanked 15,668 Times in 4,274 Posts

Stroud's the real deal, not like that Bear phony. Lived with his wife for a year in the boonies, making everything themselves, and he's been completely honest about equipment he uses, even railing when some have failed on him. But I get worried when peoples signatures start appearing on kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecrawler View Post
Stroud's the real deal, not like that Bear phony. Lived with his wife for a year in the boonies, making everything themselves, and he's been completely honest about equipment he uses, even railing when some have failed on him. But I get worried when peoples signatures start appearing on kit.
i completely agree with you. les is the man but i've seen and heard enough bad reviews on it not to ever be interested in his knife. i think if les would have gone more small scale and went with a smaller knife maker it would have been a better product.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJohnMistrot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

It doesn't appear to be full tang which would could be worrisome. I'm not positive but I believe Camillus has fallen victim to the Chinese, economic monster that loves to gobble up knife companies. Again ... not positive about that. I do have the BG survival knife and consider it a bit gimmicky. I'm thinking that this Les Stroud knife might fall into the same category. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't just one, big knife factory in China that simply stamps "Gerber" or "Camillus" or whatever on the finished product and simply ends up selling the name. I'm probably wrong about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,719 Times in 1,843 Posts

I have seen it sold. I have seen the Bear Grylls stuff as well.

I greatly prefer what I have, an ESEE-5.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Saw these today for the first time in a Gander Mt. If I were forced to buy this or the BG knife, I would buy this one.