Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
First virtue is strength

Advertise Here

I consider mine a small (hobby) farm but it looks 'prepper' to those that are preppers (cement planters around the base of the house, etc) and 'greenie' to those that are greenies(great ideas on energy/ water conservation and unorthodox building techniques) ..I guess people just see what they recognize. I've said it before and I'll admit to it now : I am NOT a great judge of people when I first meet them so unless you are wearing a T-shirt that asks : "what have YOU prepped today" I'm gonna be close to clueless.

On a humorous side note: my ever present and useful leatherman has earned my nickname of MacGyver among friends; I never watched the show? Was he a prepper?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkofnight For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Giblet Head

Seeing a car with NRA bumper stickers.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,898 Times in 706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofnight View Post
On a humorous side note: my ever present and useful leatherman has earned my nickname of MacGyver among friends; I never watched the show? Was he a prepper?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGyver
American TV Series:
...The show follows secret agent MacGyver, played by Richard Dean Anderson. MacGyver prefers non-violent resolutions where possible, and refuses to handle a gun. He works as a troubleshooter for the fictional Phoenix Foundation in Los Angeles. Educated as a scientist with a background as a Bomb Team Technician/EOD in Vietnam ("Countdown"), and from a fictional United States government agency, the Department of External Services (DXS), he is a resourceful agent with an encyclopedic knowledge of science, able to solve complex problems with everyday materials he finds at hand, along with his ever-present duct tape and Swiss Army knife.
.....The series revolved around MacGyver, whose main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items along with his ever-present Swiss Army knife. The clever solutions MacGyver implemented to seemingly unsolvable problems often in life-or-death situations requiring him to improvise complex devices in a matter of minutes were a major attraction of the show, which was praised for generating interest in the applied sciences, particularly engineering,[3] and for providing entertaining story lines. All of MacGyver's exploits on the show were ostensibly vetted to be based on scientific principles (even though, the creators acknowledged, in real life one would have to be extraordinarily lucky for most of MacGyver's ideas to succeed). In the few cases where MacGyver used household chemicals to create poisons, explosives, or other things deemed too dangerous to be accurately described to the public, details were altered or left vague.[4]
The use of ordinary household items to jerryrig devices shows an influence from The A-Team (though MacGyver eschews firearms). The idea has entered United States popular culture: such constructions are referred to as "MacGyverisms" (a term first used in episode 3 of season 2, "Twice Stung"). MacGyver has become a verb, as in "The car broke down but he MacGyvered a fix to get home", and was even used in Stargate SG-1, a later show featuring Richard Dean Anderson as a protagonist. The show often dealt with social issues, though more so in seasons 47 than 13, which were mostly about MacGyver's adventures working for the United States government and later the Phoenix Foundation.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
First virtue is strength

Roflmao!! thanks. that explains quite a bit!!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Prepared

How about an older guy who pulls up into his condo with a new pickup truck. "RON PAUL" emblazoned on the back -- not a bumper stick, but a whole paintjob basically.

Has a bunch of stuff in his garage -- tools, etc. Coolers.

Not much more than that to go on.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 14,654 Times in 1,380 Posts

Couple at Aldi's the other day, 30 containers of quick oats, nervous during the purchase, watching all around them. Pretty sure they bought breakfast for a year, lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AkaReaper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaReaper View Post
Couple at Aldi's the other day, 30 containers of quick oats, nervous during the purchase, watching all around them. Pretty sure they bought breakfast for a year, lol.
Hahhahhaha, the Aldi Quick Oats gives it away every time! *making mental note to stop at Aldi on the way home*
The Following User Says Thank You to EyesWideShut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Prepared

Gardens, rain barrels, and city chicken coops are popular among several sub-groups who may or may not agree on a lot of other issues. Definitely don't draw any quick conclusions if you see them on a property.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Stinking survival bracelet. Just smelled mine and it smells like an old dish towel. I started wearing them before I got involved with prepping. Traveled internationally a lot and having emergency cordage that no one knew about was a great idea.

You would never know I was a prepper till you entered my house or car. I go to a lot of prepper seminars and I do not think there is a prepper stereotype or tell-tale signs. One of my BOL's has been featured on Doomsday Preppers (I was not on the show). With that said, there is no way anyone could find it from watching the show and from first impression it looks like any other 50 acre homestead that are numerous in the area. Only another like minded individual would be able to put 2 and 2 together and figure out what the set up was for. Sheeple would think it was any other farm.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCHeel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Gummint Troll

Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
Completely off topic but. . .

The Pope is sitting in the Vatican when one of the Cardinals comes in looking very sad. The Pope asks what has happened and the Cardinal says "Holy Father, I have good news and bad news".

The Pope thinks for a second and then asks: "What is the good news". To which the Cardinal answers: "The second coming has happened. Jesus Christ has finally returned".

The Pope responded "This is wonderful news. . But what news could be so bad as to ruin this glorious day". To which the Cardinal responds: "He arrived in Salt Lake City". . . .
no. Cleveland TN.

half the people down home have gardens and guns and preserved food. they aren't consciously 'prepping', it's just the way of life in some parts.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Hiker

My problem is getting more friends to see reasons for storing food. Does not even need to be TEOTWAWKI. Start with a couple weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toolman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
tempus fugit

Remember a few months ago when there were more than a half-dozen rep canidates, I recently saw a van with a bumper sticker for each one of those canidates plus more stickers from the last election. About 14 total. Might not be a prepper but the signs are there.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
from my cold dead hands

I bought strawberry plants from a nice couple this spring and they had "I'm a prepper" written all over the place. #10 can tubes just out in the open. Huge propane tank, solar panels and the hatch to there shelter uncovered.
Now I wasn't being nosy but you would have to be a blind democrat not to see the writing on the wall. I just gave a few open statements that basically told them there opsec sucked in the biggest way. We are friends now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slightly disturbed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Prepared

MacGyver (Anderson) was also ANTI firearm and was a spokes dweeb for the Brady Bunch for a while. . then he got a job on the Star-Gate TV show and had to shoot full auto Hk's on a weekly basis. . . . .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcvojak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
First virtue is strength

LOL. Wasn't aware of that, bc, but no worries here .. Definitely pro choice advocate here: CHOOSE the caliber you carry!! .. though I have watched startgate, those are not HKs they were using .. they were FN P90's.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPArcher View Post
How about an older guy who pulls up into his condo with a new pickup truck. "RON PAUL" emblazoned on the back -- not a bumper stick, but a whole paintjob basically.

Has a bunch of stuff in his garage -- tools, etc. Coolers.

Not much more than that to go on.
Nah, they're just Paulbots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Prepared

I was at Walmart the other day with my wife. We ran up there right after the gym to pick up some ammo and a couple things. I'm a national level bodybuilder and at 5'9 I'm just over 255lbs and very lean. I was wearing a sleeveless Underarmor shirt and shorts. We grabbed two 500 round boxes of .22, two boxes of 9mm, and a few boxes of 556 along with another set of eyes and ears (can never have too many). There was a guy next to us wearing some cargo pants and a gun t shirt with his wife also grabbing some ammo. He looks over at me and says "so you're preparing for SHTF too?" my wife and I were amazed. He wasn't asking, he was making an observation. So I sheepishly said ya. He GO's on to say that it's best to stop by each day since the day they get the bulk stuff in they sell out.
I was amazed and impressed. I don't know what I did or said, but my purchase certainly wasn't anything to speak of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Dude1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,774 Posts

You can tell if the neighbors are self sufficient or not. 2 generators in the garage. Yes. Can you load me some 30-06 for hogs? Yes. What's a battery backup (when the tree fell on the 7kv line)? No. I've got a nice holster for a .45 I don't need. Yes. I'll go get the other jeep and 2 chainsaws, f the county, let's get that tree off the road. Yes. Next time you get them $4 NY strips get me about 20 pounds. Yes. You get the idea...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,905 Times in 3,280 Posts

If you can add water and get what you want, you may be a prepper...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,295 Times in 2,504 Posts

Shut off the power to their house, if they suddenly start packing bags into a trailer............... they're a prepper.

Tell them Wal-Mart is out of canned foods, if they smile.... they're a prepper.

Ask them how many uses there are for a 5 gallon bucket? If they have more than 13............. they're a prepper. (More than 100, they're in need of professional help)

If they carry a backpack around all day, every day but aren't camping, hiking or such..... they're a prepper.

If you ask them for a band-aid and they pull out a roll of medical tape and a roll of gauze with a bottle of antiseptic...... they're a prepper.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post: