Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Default Baofeng uv-5r

Advertise Here

Been wanting to get a starter HAM radio and someone recommended this cheap (expensive) radio. This radio can be had for less than $50 on the bay. There weren't many reviews on this one yet since it's quite new but the reviews I've read are pretty positive. With no prior experience or knowledgeable with HAM radios, I'm not even sure this one qualifies as a HAM radio....?

Any survivalistboard members here own or have played with this particular brand/model? What are your thoughts? Are there better ones out there for a similar price? Thanks guys/gals!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiway 12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 PM

I would have no hesitation on getting one. I have 4 of the various UV-3R and while they are not as nice and pretty as some other radio's you can usually buy between 2 and 3 of them for the price of a "name brand".
The Following User Says Thank You to riman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 4,233 Times in 1,712 Posts

Just bought one. It seems well made and rugged. I have it hooked to the computer for programming so haven't got to give a workout yet. A couple locals have them and the audio sounds good.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,608 Times in 3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway 12 View Post
Been wanting to get a starter HAM radio and someone recommended this cheap (expensive) radio. This radio can be had for less than $50 on the bay. There weren't many reviews on this one yet since it's quite new but the reviews I've read are pretty positive. With no prior experience or knowledgeable with HAM radios, I'm not even sure this one qualifies as a HAM radio....?

Any survivalistboard members here own or have played with this particular brand/model? What are your thoughts? Are there better ones out there for a similar price? Thanks guys/gals!
Just bought two tonight.($98)

They definitely qualify as Ham radios and require a license to broadcast. They can't cover as many bands as a benchtop model but then look at the price.

Comparing it to similar type radios it seems impossible to find anything else in this price range that even comes close. I certainly don't expect it to be as good as ones costing 4 times as much but it seems like a nice little radio.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM

Awesome, guys! It's so tempting! I think I might buy one very soon as well.

From what I've read elsewhere online, some even purchased a programming cable with it as well. Now, I had no idea what that cable is or what its purpose is but it's supposed to help with programming. I still need to find out where to get that as well. The software is called "Chirp". I think you can download it online but not sure (still need to find that out as well)?

Where did you guys purchase yours from?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 4,233 Times in 1,712 Posts

The cable lets you read the information in the radio, save it on the computer for a backup, modify it, and send it from the computer back to the radio. It is good to have if you like to pre-load your radio with everything in the area or if you like to give names to the memories. So much easier with a full keyboard than trying to do it with the numeric keypad on the radio.

Got it here: http://aaradio.com/ Last time I was there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
The cable lets you read the information in the radio, save it on the computer for a backup, modify it, and send it from the computer back to the radio. It is good to have if you like to pre-load your radio with everything in the area or if you like to give names to the memories. So much easier with a full keyboard than trying to do it with the numeric keypad on the radio.

Got it here: http://aaradio.com/ Last time I was there.
Thanks for the link, JDH!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hiway 12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
There weren't many reviews on this one yet
Perhaps, but there are some pretty good ones.

EHAM

IW5EDI

This one is pretty comprehensive
Moleculo on Worldwide DX

W0HC

I hope that helps fill out your (and others) info needs about this radio. Seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,608 Times in 3,321 Posts

Quote:
Awesome, guys! It's so tempting! I think I might buy one very soon as well.

From what I've read elsewhere online, some even purchased a programming cable with it as well. Now, I had no idea what that cable is or what its purpose is but it's supposed to help with programming. I still need to find out where to get that as well. The software is called "Chirp". I think you can download it online but not sure (still need to find that out as well)?

Where did you guys purchase yours from?
From what I've read it's about the only way to set up the offset used between tx and rx.(transmit and receive)

And, yeah, Chirp (the daily builds) seems to work for the UV-5R. The stable build doesn't work with it. They also have the drivers needed so the computer can communicate with the radio.

http://www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=60
http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Hiker

detailed comparison deleted by browser hickup.

baofeng UV-3R Mk II radios are pretty decent but unlike the UV-3R Mk II, the newer UV-3R+ and UV-5R have wouxun compatibility inspired fatal flaws. backwards sma, clunky dual plug headset connector, and worst - no DC power in jack. The cheap clones are now imitating the cheap clones instead of the name brand radios. And now share the worst power design I have ever seen on an HT.

With Mk II the UV-3R and a USB to barrel connector charger adapter, a compact car USB adapter (fits inside the cigarette lighter plug), and a 1" cube AC to USB adapter you are good to go on AC, 12VDC, and USB power in a space that makes everyday carry possible and the chargers can be used for other devices. A spare battery takes up very little space and is a standard camera battery which can be had for $3 on ebay.. With the other radios, you need a bulky desktop charger cradle with bulky AC adapter OR else you can't charge your battery and you need a bulky battery eliminator with bulky coil cord, and a bulkier cigarette lighter plug to operate off 12V taking up almost as much space as a mobile radio and you still can't charge your battery off 12VDC and it is more trouble to switch back and forth from handheld operation.

UV-3R Mk II lacks keypad for DTMF and direct frequency entry. I have a program on my cell phone if I ever need DTMF.

No DTMF or no power? Easy choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to technoprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM

I just ordered one last night. I passed my Tech Exam on Saturday...35 for 35! I take my General in August!

This post made it an easy buy for a first radio...THANK YOU!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACinSA For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,335 Posts

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_shopc...&parentid=1426

49 bucks.

for a pretty detailed report

http://www.worldwidedx.com/product-r...-review-6.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Communications Bunker

Thanked 1,020 Times in 432 Posts

I have had a UV5R for a few months and so far I have no real complaints. Obviously the inability to charge and power the radio is an issue, but when you consider that these radios are NOT NOT NOT designed for Amateur Radio use, then you quickly realize that external power is not typically an option on other radios meant for this same purpose. These radios are meant for use in the commercial and public safety band segments and this is why they have a FCC Part 90 Certification. If you compare these radios to their commercial band counterparts, they offer many features not found in other low cost Part 90 radios.

I use my 5R daily. It has great battery life, its light weight, I get good audio reports and the sound quality is good enough. Obviously this radio isn't a Motorola or a Vertex, but it works well for what it was designed to be - a land mobile radio. The additional features such as a VFO and direct channel entry make it a great radio for every day Amateur Radio use, but it does lack a lot of features that are common in Amateur Radio equipment, like DTMF paging and things like that, but again, this is NOT NOT NOT an Amateur Radio.

Comparing to other offerings for Part 90 Land Mobile use, this radio is high on features and low on durability. I have seen a Motorola survive a house fire and gun shots. It has a lot of features packed into it for such a small size. Compare it to the Mag One radio, about the same size but with not near as many features or channels, but the Mag One is build like a tank and meant to take a level of abuse. The UV5R is not meant to take a lot of abuse. The SMA connector found on the UV5R is common to other popular brands of Part 90 radios, such as the Johnson Scorpion, Motorola HT series, Bendix-King radios popular with wild land firefighters and even many models of radio that are approved for use by the military.

Comparing any of the common Chinese radios to Amateur Radio gear is much like comparing a Motorola or a Vertex or a EF Johnson to a Yaesu. These Chinese radios are NOT ham radios, they are Part 90 devices and share common traits with other Part 90 devices. Look the radio up on the FCC website, chances are that you will find the Part 90 certification, and what does part 90 cover? It covers public safety and business radio services, not ham radio.

So, if you want a radio that was designed with its primary use being Ham Radio and has the external power jacks, simple mic connectors and can be powered from AA batteries, then buy one of the more common radios that you can find in the back of any ham radio magazine. If you want a radio that works for what you need but don't have the funds to drop on a Motorola, then get the Chinese radios.

Stop complaining when you buy a Part 90 device and it doesn't come loaded with Part 97 features.

Overall, I give my UV5R a great rating because it does what I bought it to do. For my needs, a commonly available Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood ham radio would not work nor would it fir into my budget.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KF4LNE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
AN, DE & MCA

Thanked 4,522 Times in 1,229 Posts

Here is a link to the UV3R review on PH. Radio sell for $40-60.
http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=384.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Armordude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinSA View Post
I just ordered one last night. I passed my Tech Exam on Saturday...35 for 35! I take my General in August!

Congratulations!

Dave
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinSA View Post

Congrats!

Have you got around to play with yours? Mine arrived last week; just didn't have time to play around with it until now.

Since I don't have my license yet, I just want to listen to what's going on in the local areas.

The only feature I'm using right now is just listening to FM radio.

How do you set it up so you can listen to air traffic controllers, fire departments, NOAA, etc.? I've watched videos on Youtube but that didn't seem to help neither. This stuff is really new to me.

Any tips and ideas would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Congrats!

Have you got around to play with yours? Mine arrived last week; just didn't have time to play around with it until now.

Since I don't have my license yet, I just want to listen to what's going on in the local areas.

The only feature I'm using right now is just listening to FM radio.

How do you set it up so you can listen to air traffic controllers, fire departments, NOAA, etc.? I've watched videos on Youtube but that didn't seem to help neither. This stuff is really new to me.

Any tips and ideas would be very much appreciated.
You won't be able to listen to the air band on it but the rest is doable if they are on the analog VHF or UHF (400 MHZ) bands. The air band is AM and your radio only does FM mode. You can check out the frequencies on Radio Reference web site and here is a link to the Wouxun.us site for the radio. http://wouxun.us/Software/Baofeng/UV...rogramming.pdf *Just realized this was how to program a repeater. To listen only all you need is the transmit frequency of the repeater you want to listen to. Skip the part instructing you how to program a transmit frequency, the offset and PL tones. You don't need them to listen only. If you are using the software put the frequency in the receive (RX) only block.
I don't have that radio yet BTW or I would tell you more.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtom1911 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom1911 View Post
You won't be able to listen to the air band on it but the rest is doable if they are on the analog VHF or UHF (400 MHZ) bands. The air band is AM and your radio only does FM mode. You can check out the frequencies on Radio Reference web site and here is a link to the Wouxun.us site for the radio. http://wouxun.us/Software/Baofeng/UV...rogramming.pdf *Just realized this was how to program a repeater. To listen only all you need is the transmit frequency of the repeater you want to listen to. Skip the part instructing you how to program a transmit frequency, the offset and PL tones. You don't need them to listen only. If you are using the software put the frequency in the receive (RX) only block.
I don't have that radio yet BTW or I would tell you more.
Thanks, tom1911!

Can't wait until you get yours. Looking forward to learn more from you.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks, tom1911!

Can't wait until you get yours. Looking forward to learn more from you.
You could be waiting a little while. I originally planed to get one this past December but stuff came up. Then January I lost that job and had to find another. I've since found a decent paying job and just got around to getting more toys. At the moment I decided to put the Baofeng a little further down on my list of things to get.
Not sure witch YT videos you watched but I remember someone doing a few videos on the radio. One included programing it.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
just surviving

If you can program a VCR (my reference may be outdated but you get the idea), you can program the repeaters by hand in the UV-5R. The instructions aren't in the manual but are online - after a few times you'll have it memorized. There are a couple of settings that require software/cable to change, but nothing critical. Connecting a better antenna is the best thing you can do to TX, especially for hitting out of town repaters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonereb For This Useful Post: