Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Default CANNED MEATS - long term storage

Advertise Here

What can meats do you guys prefer to stock up on for long term storage?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Cat Person

Thanked 2,001 Times in 752 Posts

Personally, my favorite canned meat is corned beef (must be my Irish ancestry). I don't know how long it will last in the cans though. I keep a can in my BoB, mostly because it's a comfort food to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildcat84 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,423 Posts

I too like corned beef because of the different ways to use it.

I also keep canned ham, some Spam, and both Tuna and Salmon (if they count).

I also keep sardines, but right now I am all out of those (been using my stocks as I am unemployed).
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Personally, my favorite canned meat is corned beef (must be my Irish ancestry). I don't know how long it will last in the cans though. I keep a can in my BoB, mostly because it's a comfort food to me.
Guy I work with put away a bucket of certain can and dried foods, 10 years ago. He pulled the bucket out of storage and inspected the foods. He had a can of corned beef. He said he opened it and it looked good and smelled good. He didnt eat it though.

But damn, corned beef is $5 a can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trx680 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM

I have been buying canned chicken meat, when on sale, or as a BOGO. We also buy hash, and stews.

DH and I have also started back canning this year--one of my New Year's Resolutions that we have kept. LOL.

So far, we have canned bacon, chicken breasts, and thighs. I would like to try ground beef.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helen Gunn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Cat Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
Guy I work with put away a bucket of certain can and dried foods, 10 years ago. He pulled the bucket out of storage and inspected the foods. He had a can of corned beef. He said he opened it and it looked good and smelled good. He didnt eat it though.

But damn, corned beef is $5 a can
Yeah. It's outrageous since the shortage that took it off the shelves for months (in my part of the US anyway).

How long will SPAM in a can last? Call me a redneck (geek style) but another great "comfort food" I love is a good fried SPAM and cheese sandwich... A can of SPAM can feed a meal to 4 people. It also can be served warmed, fried, or even cold right out of the can. A fried SPAM and MRE cheese sandwich would taste mighty fine after a bad day of having to grab the BOB and get out of Dodge...

I still have no idea what it's made of And I don't think I WANT to.

The only bad thing about canned meat is you pretty much have to eat it soon as you open the can unless you have refrigeration available.

Of course, there are "canned" meats like SPAM you CAN get in individual pouches. Which of course is a LOT more expensive per serving than the cans. Though they ARE lighter and you can eat only what you need at the time rather than opening the whole can and being in an "eat it or throw it out" situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildcat84 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,695 Times in 32,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I'm stocking mostly DAK canned hams, along with some canned fish and a bit of chicken. Also a bunch of home canned meats. Just buy what you like to eat. It's not like one of them stores better than another.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Canned foods, other than the high acid foods like tomato products, saurkraut and such, have an indefinate lifespan as long as the can remains safely sealed. It's not like they can rot, since they are sterile inside. But over the years, the texture and flavor can go downhill. So rotation is smart, but you don't have to rotate them all in a year or two. They'll be safe to eat for decades, even if they don't taste quite as good as when they were new.

This has been verified by a number of the canneries themselves, as well as either the FDA or USDA (forgot which), and numerous laboratory tests of decade old canned foods, and in some cases canned foods over 100 years old!
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 10,856 Times in 2,757 Posts

I have tuna, salmon, roast beef w/gravy, spam, corned beef, DAK ham, chicken, chicken ala king, Spagettios w/meatballs, hamhocks in a jar, Vienna sausages and potted meat. The last two aren't on my list of fav's but are tasty with crackers and cheese if you've had a tad too much to drink. The flatulence make the girls unhappy in the morning, but something fatty seems to take the edge off the hangover.

I keep the Vienna sausage and potted meat in my BOB and a few cans in the trucks emergency kit in the winter. Easy to open and its calories and protein...just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,204 Times in 6,012 Posts

Have an assortment of meats, and like Mike said, they are fine if left unopened. Looked through some of my stores tonight as a matter of fact, and some of the canned chicken is about one year past it's best use date, so these will be replaced and used in Mexican dishes.

I have a lot of canned chicken that is still dated for 2014 etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Cat Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Canned foods, other than the high acid foods like tomato products, saurkraut and such, have an indefinate lifespan as long as the can remains safely sealed. It's not like they can rot, since they are sterile inside. But over the years, the texture and flavor can go downhill. So rotation is smart, but you don't have to rotate them all in a year or two. They'll be safe to eat for decades, even if they don't taste quite as good as when they were new.

This has been verified by a number of the canneries themselves, as well as either the FDA or USDA (forgot which), and numerous laboratory tests of decade old canned foods, and in some cases canned foods over 100 years old!
So then the key is to keep them dry (so the cans don't rust), keep them cool, and rotate them in a first in, first out basis, and they will last basically forever then.

Which will be easy to do if you stock up on canned meats you like to eat regularly (for me would be corned beef, spam, deviled ham, etc...)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
So then the key is to keep them dry (so the cans don't rust), keep them cool, and rotate them in a first in, first out basis, and they will last basically forever then.

Which will be easy to do if you stock up on canned meats you like to eat regularly (for me would be corned beef, spam, deviled ham, etc...)
Exactly. This might be easier said than done in humid climates, because rust can cause pinholes that bacteria can enter. But kept cool and dry, they will last a very long time.

I've eaten beef stew and chili that were 5-6 years past due, and tuna that was over 12 years old. The chili and stew were identical to new, but the tuna had turned a bit mushy. It would have been better in tuna salad or a recipe, rather than eaten out of the can as I did. But it was still edible, and plenty safe. And there is a huge amount of verifiable data to prove this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,655 Times in 2,383 Posts

I favor chicken canned in water, as there are no chemical taste "enhancers". I prefer chicken that tastes like chicken.

I ALSO like roast beef in gravy, which is very good served over rice.

I absolutely hate spam and other foods with strange tastes, and so I don't buy them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,204 Times in 6,012 Posts

Quote:

Over time the quality may decrease a bit, but should be fine to consume. Would be better than nothing . Seriously there was canned lard from WWII found that was still okay. This appeared in an item here on the site.

I have also heard others say that Spam will last just about forever according to Hormel. You could always shoot Hormel customer service an email to satisfy yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Cat Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Exactly. This might be easier said than done in humid climates, because rust can cause pinholes that bacteria can enter. But kept cool and dry, they will last a very long time.

I've eaten beef stew and chili that were 5-6 years past due, and tuna that was over 12 years old. The chili and stew were identical to new, but the tuna had turned a bit mushy. It would have been better in tuna salad or a recipe, rather than eaten out of the can as I did. But it was still edible, and plenty safe. And there is a huge amount of verifiable data to prove this.
It's probably best to avoid fish and poultry in food storage as a general rule as they are more susceptible to degradation than would be beef and pork...

Then again, as you said, they are perfectly safe, just don't taste as good as they would have.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM

I found this link useful for determining shelf life....probably got it from this forum....I don't remember.

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewinder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,404 Times in 2,080 Posts

Ya know there's a sticky above with some really important threads in it??
There's even a canned meat review where the same people here now are repeating what they posted before.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=208836

Gee I wonder if people ever thought about keeping some canned foods at home, instead of going to the store very day? Maybe keep them in something, like a cabinet or something bigger, a pantry?
Imagine, keeping food for a year or two at your house. And never worrying about food riots.
But no, I bet nobody ever thinks about crap like that. That's why there's a McDonalds or Burger King to go to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,898 Times in 726 Posts

Oh GREAT!!!! Just GREAT!!!! Now I have to go eat a SPAM sandwich!!!!!!

The bulk of my food preps are commercially canned. I like it. Needs no water. Lasts forever!!!!

I survived for a year in Nam on 20+ year old C rations. They were older than I was!!!!!!!

I probably don't have 20 years left so everything I buy now will last the rest of my life!!!!

My favorites are Dinty Moore beef stew, Spam, vienna sausage, corned beef hash, chicken and roast beef. I also have a lot of tuna fish.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 7.62 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,169 Posts

Have you guys found that Spam now has the pop-top lid? I've had 2 of them on the shelves that I've later found had 'popped' open and broken the seal...meat(?) was moldy inside. I would prefer the older style lid.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Winter is coming.....

Thanked 10,525 Times in 2,872 Posts

In the early 80's we were issued C Rations left over from 'Nam, they were still good. We home can most of our long-term storage meats, chicken, beef, venison. Our oldest meat stores are only 2 years old so far but everything we open and eat is very good.