Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Default propane tank projects .

Advertise Here

So I recently was at the local tool rental , and a guy came in with a couple old bbq tanks to recycle .
After the guy left I asked the proprieter If I could take them off his hands and he said "sure come back wedsday when theyve been eptied ".
My plan for the first one is to make a small pot bellied stove for my BOL .
I've seen plans for them before so I know thats possible .
I'm garunteed one more if not 2 , so I'm thinking of making one into a sort of oven I can slip on top of the stove , and am thinking of making a small reflux still for distilling water , and potentially vodka ( should rule of law become inconsiquenitial ).
Any ideas why I shouldn't ?
I plan to fill the empty tanks with water to make sure there no residual gas , so safetys not an issue .
The question is weather propane tanks are food safe .
I know there made of steel from the way they rust on the outside , but I can't find reference to anyone doing these projects .
Stills are usually made from pony kegs , and I havent seen any home made ovens online .
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,135 Posts

I think you will find that the methyl mercaptin will sweat out of the tanks for a long time. A firebox sure, an oven not so much and no way for a still. Look for big stainless steel stock pots at yard sales or thrift stores for your still.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I think you will find that the methyl mercaptin will sweat out of the tanks for a long time. A firebox sure, an oven not so much and no way for a still. Look for big stainless steel stock pots at yard sales or thrift stores for your still.
The pot bellied stove will be inside my cabin , think theres any chance of toxic fumes from the methyl mercaptin ?
I have a stainless stock pot that I welded a lid and flange to , unfortunately I got a bunch of pin hole leaks on my welds ( used .35 welding wire , think I should have used a thinner guage ).
I have a bunch of permatex red high heat silicone for automotive gaskests , I found info saying that the black RTV silicone was non toxic and could be used , do you think the red would be safe to use on the inside of the still as a sealent ?
I heard that glue was toxic , but silicone was OK , as long as it didnt have stretchers .
The product descrition is Permatex red hi-temp silicone adhesive sealant , upc81311.
Ant feed back on the silicone would be apreciated , as would suggestions on food safe sealants { bread dough wouldnt stay in place , I thought of pine resin-charcoal mix bou I belive it would melt and fall away ).
Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,135 Posts

Your still should be ok with small pin hole leaks as it shouldn't have much internal pressure. Little holes will soon plug with calcium (hard water deposits). Maybe a large high temp o-ring for a gasket like on pressure canners. Teflon tape wraped around cotton string?

Burn your stove hot once outside to cook off all the paint and stuff, then set it up inside and you should be fine.

Steet metal for the oven, stainless steel cookie sheets from thrift store.
http://www.target.com/p/coleman-camp...i_sku=10221957
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Any time there's a question, where my family's health might be at risk, I error on the side of caution. Saving a couple of dollars versus their well being, isn't worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoAngus View Post
Any time there's a question, where my family's health might be at risk, I error on the side of caution. Saving a couple of dollars versus their well being, isn't worth it.
Too true .
Gotta admit I am rethinking this project .
On the other hand , I could take both ends off the tank , line it with ceramic wool . add the venturi burner my boss is helping me build and have a sweet new propane mini forge .
Either way , I'm still gonna grab those tanks , they may not be food safe , but I'll macguiver something out of them ( put coiled copper pipe through them , plus fire for a hot water on demand for my BOL , or weld on a sturdy steel pipe for one badass potato cannon ) I'll probably still build the stove but I'm going to do a little more research before I use it in my BOL.
Thanx for all the input guys , I'm glad I asked before I poisoned anyone with my stove or still .
Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,898 Posts

don't know about the retail situation up there in BC .... but the exchange of BBQ LP tanks is huge in the States ....those old tanks are worth like $25+ each if you go for an exchange ..... most of the tank exchange companies don't care about the appearence or if they have the old valves ..... nice thing about LP, it stores forever
Old 06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Just Country Folk

I would think it would make a fine small version of a barrel stove. Once the paint has cooked off the outside they can then be painted with high temp BBQ or header paint. They can be made into a wood Gas generator as well. Just research Down Draft Wood Gas generator. FEMA put out a book on it. F.G.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

a small electric water heater can make a fine still. minus the heating elements it has multipe inlets & outlets for necessary connections and it is food safe.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadjanet View Post
a small electric water heater can make a fine still. minus the heating elements it has multipe inlets & outlets for necessary connections and it is food safe.
Right before my boss went on vacation he said that he had a small hot water heater for us to mcguyver into a forge and wood stove .
I think when he comes back I'll try and talk him into letting me make a still out of it instead .
I'm not sure he'll go for it as he's not much of a drinker , but he does support some of my crazy projects as it gives him a chuckle and keeps us busy during our slow days .
If I could just get him into prepping I'd be set , can just imagine some of the crazy things we could build .
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM

for distilling water i have used a pressure cooker sealed exceot for the weight which keeps the pressure up. add a screw and you should be able to handle distilling water easily. on liquor distillation i have very small experience but there are issues with the first part and last part of a run being poisonous figureing out how much to remove at both points should be of great concern. i have bought inexpensive wine and distilled it into brandy for medicinal use but thats the extent of my experience with liquors. the brandy helps the lung spasms that occur due to my asthma and copd. and in small amounts is supposed to be good for health. i buy the wine i use because that way the governments taxes are paid and there should never be issues on the tx being paid as proper. i am the only person that drinks my distilled brandy since it is made in small lots only for my own useage. i mite add i distill the brandy myself occasionally because on my budget i can't afford the better stuff so this after two distillations allows me to have decent quality brandy . having a stepson on dialysis is'nt cheap even if his costs are paid.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthincomfort View Post
for distilling water i have used a pressure cooker sealed exceot for the weight which keeps the pressure up. add a screw and you should be able to handle distilling water easily. on liquor distillation i have very small experience but there are issues with the first part and last part of a run being poisonous figureing out how much to remove at both points should be of great concern. i have bought inexpensive wine and distilled it into brandy for medicinal use but thats the extent of my experience with liquors. the brandy helps the lung spasms that occur due to my asthma and copd. and in small amounts is supposed to be good for health. i buy the wine i use because that way the governments taxes are paid and there should never be issues on the tx being paid as proper. i am the only person that drinks my distilled brandy since it is made in small lots only for my own useage. i mite add i distill the brandy myself occasionally because on my budget i can't afford the better stuff so this after two distillations allows me to have decent quality brandy . having a stepson on dialysis is'nt cheap even if his costs are paid.
First time I made hooch it was for a grade 11 biology class ( I had an awsome teacher , if you could explain how it related to the subject he'd let you do it for extra credit ) , I used a pressure cooker and surgical tubing .
Last time I made some potato vodka in our maintenance shop while my boss was on vacation , I used a teakettle that I expanded by soldering to a rice pot .
Did two distillations (used an adjustable blowtorch for heat ) , you are quite correct about the first bit being poisonous , I discard the first bit until the product dripping out no longer has a strong smell ( I taste a drop to be sure ) .
I did some one research and found out that methanol ( the stuff that makes you go blind ) evaperates at a lower temp than the good stuff , has a sharper smell , and is produced by distilling fruits with large quantitys of pectin .
Apparently brewing crops like grains or potatos is the safest , as is brewing straight sugars .
After distilling the product still had a bit of a rough odour and flaver , so I polished with charcoal .
I could not find the activated charcoal suggested , so I used charcoal from my fireplace ( lodgepole pine , I washed all the ash off first ).
The charcoal absorbs the impurities (fusel oils ) and mellows the product both in taste and flaver .
If you do not remove the fusel oils they will make the product turn white if water is added ( mine is crystal clear at 40% , that is after water added ) .
The finished product is a fairly clean vodka with a slight minty after taste .
I did a side by side somparison last night while I was doing a final proofing , I found the home brew was actually cleaner tasting than the Sauzo gold I was using to base alc content on ( if the home brew tastes stronger than the Sauzo , it must be over 80 proof ) .
The Following User Says Thank You to sortofready For This Useful Post: