Survivalist Forum banner

Legacy Foods

164K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  ganiman 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen or used Legacy foods? I have found them, they claim to be cheaper than the others and have a higher calorie count. I guess I'm just a little sceptical about buying from a company I have not heard of or is not reputable.

Here is the company I found selling it http://www.buyemergencyfoods.com/shop/index.php/food-storage.html

Thanks

#3 ·
Another fly by night company. I looked at the nutrition info. Hearty Stew 90 calories and 980 mg of sodium. Not what I would want to eat.

I looked at the Chicken Ala King..... 'Vegetarian Chicken Base' which translates to your buying a bunch of texturized vegetable protein and not real meat.

I think I'll pass.

#7 ·
I agree with Felicia. They're another one of the fly by nighters that have sprung up in recent years. A look at their products pretty much says it all. A lot of commercial products repackaged. There's more to long term storage than just the packaging. Complete foods like that also have to be formulated right.

Some things don't store well regardless of packaging. Bear Creek Soups is an example. I've had them packed in #10 cans with O2 absorbers. They listed a 5 year shelf life, despite the excellant packaging, and sure enough, not long past 5 years they were horrid.

There's also nutrition to consider. Take a close look at the foods they are offering and ask yourself if you really want to eat that long term. Not much in the way of nutrition.

It's just a way to part people who don't know better, with their money.

My attitude is always stick with the companies that have been around long term. They have proven foods. Secondly, they have supported survivalism for many years, they deserve to make the money, not the fly by nighters that pop up just to take advantage of increased demand, without any regard for their customers. All those companies do is take money out of the pockets of the companies that actually deserve it.

#9 ·
I finally found the individual calorie count for the meals, not the whole bucket. It averaged somewhere in the area of 200 per serving. At 3 servings a day that is only 600 calories a day. Not nearly enough. I wrote a review on their site and stated that. Ly review has still not been approved, nor do I think it will.

Looks like a scam, the whois on their site comes back to a wise storage foods, llc. Sound familiar. Yes I take it their trying to knock off wise food storage.

I will not be doing business with them.

#13 ·
Dear Legacy Foods,

One more thing............

Just because your facility is inspected by the FDA & USDA means "Jack ****", remember the Peanut Factory a few years ago ? This Peanut Factory was also inspected by the FDA and USDA however people still died. Look at the egg factories and all of the people who died at these FDA & USDA inspected factories.

#16 ·
Just a warning.... posting links to resellers who are not approved forum merchants is considered spamming.... I would recommend you not do it again.

#17 ·
Thanks for looking out for us, we are new to this forum and that was an honest mistake. As far as the link we posted, it was the easiest way to answer the question that someone had asked. Also, the very first post in this discussion had a link to the same site, so we were just following the lead of someone else in this thread. If posting those links are not allowed, you may want to remove the link that they posted too;)

Thanks for the great work that you guys do, we are happy to see the great discussions on emergency preparedness that are taking place here in these forums!

#27 ·
Just got hoodwinked into purchasing what Wise Food Storage calls a 60 serving meat bucket. 'Calls' as they claim 1.4 oz dried is a two person serving. Also tried two of their products the last couple of days. Disgusting to say the least! 'Southwestern Chicken' as prepared by directions was worth one small taste and then the garbage. Would not even give it to the dog. 'Beef stroganoff' was as bad, and when prepared kind of looked like something my dog did. Watery, chunks of small bones, gristle, terrible taste. Tried it with some cooked rice and still could not eat it.
Called the very aggressive saleskid Tomas, and told him I wanted to return the 'bucket'. He was quick to point out that was not their 'policy', and that the meat was designed to be eaten with other freeze dried products to be 'edible'. Like mixing a gallon of wine with a gallon of sewage and expecting to have anything but sewage!!
So this is a company with a terrible product, misleading amounts claimed at best, aggresive sales, and a refusal to stand behind their product. I was sucked in by the 'free sample' ad on line, which required a phone number and calls daily from their saleskid. Claim to be 'Mormon' connected which I doubt. SO BEWARE. Stick with Mountain House which I have been using for decades. Even surplus MRE's are superior.

#28 ·
Legacy Food Storage should work hard to distance themselves from Wise as my comment a few moments ago might help you consider that.[/COLOR][/B]Just got hoodwinked into purchasing what Wise Food Storage calls a 60 serving meat bucket. 'Calls' as they claim 1.4 oz dried is a two person serving. Also tried two of their products the last couple of days. Disgusting to say the least! 'Southwestern Chicken' as prepared by directions was worth one small taste and then the garbage. Would not even give it to the dog. 'Beef stroganoff' was as bad, and when prepared kind of looked like something my dog did. Watery, chunks of small bones, gristle, terrible taste. Tried it with some cooked rice and still could not eat it.
Called the very aggressive saleskid Tomas, and told him I wanted to return the 'bucket'. He was quick to point out that was not their 'policy', and that the meat was designed to be eaten with other freeze dried products to be 'edible'. Like mixing a gallon of wine with a gallon of sewage and expecting to have anything but sewage!!
So this is a company with a terrible product, misleading amounts claimed at best, aggresive sales, and a refusal to stand behind their product. I was sucked in by the 'free sample' ad on line, which required a phone number and calls daily from their saleskid. Claim to be 'Mormon' connected which I doubt. SO BEWARE. Stick with Mountain House which I have been using for decades. Even surplus MRE's are superior.

#35 ·
Mountain House remains the standard by which all other companies are judged.

Though just about anything from LDS (Mormons) is great stuff at a price that can't be beat. Other companies with good reps here are Pleasant Hill Grain, The EpiCenter, HarmonyHouse, MRE Depot, Walton Feed, Provident Pantry, Shelf Reliance, Packit Gourmet, Grandma's Country Foods, Mother Earth Products, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with their trusted favorites.

Also remember that any canned food that isn't highly acidic (tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, pineapple, mandarin oranges, etc) is perfectly safe as long as the can isn't somehow compromised. The vitamins and appearance may suffer a bit as many years go by but the basic calories and fiber remain perfectly fine even decades later.

There are many reputable purveyors of LTS foods out there, as well as foods right from your grocer that will last for a very long time if you learn what they are. No need to buy from companies who try to defend high sodium foods with absolutely ridiculous concepts of portion size.

Companies that need to come here to defend their product clearly do not understand what this very well informed community wants in a product. While there is no official "best survival site" this is clearly one of the premier ones. An unofficial endorsement from us is certainly a gold seal of approval. A company that doesn't meet our standards should either rip down and rebuild their business from scratch to meet our expectations or move off to the margins so they can sell to the uninformed masses.

If Legacy wants our business they shouldn't be here trying to defend their marketing and manufacturing practices. Instead they should be changing their business to make the kind of product we want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.